Interesting review of a new “cheaper” Valab phono stage and Sumiko cartridges

Thanks for posting, cafe67. The Kitsune is the latest incarnation of the former Valab LCR, now apparently renamed and in Mk 5 guise. I had a Mk 2 and it was very good so I can only imagine it has improved further over the next three generations. You used to be able to get the Valab direct from Kevin on eBay for around A$1K landed and it was superb value at the price - a number of members still own one of the earlier variants.

• Like 2

I found the concluding paragraphs to the first Stereophile article interesting, seems to echo what audiophiles have been saying on various forums about the relatively high performance the AT3600 and AT95 series can deliver:

"What I learned from this unusual investigation is that the difference between a $100 cartridge and a $10,000 cartridge is not nearly as big as I previously imagined. Also, the difference between a $1000 turntable and a $10,000 turntable is much greater than I thought it was.

If you are a budding phonophile, I recommend buying one of these inexpensive cartridges and putting your car-payment cash into a quiet, solid turntable and tonearm. That way, you can ride the bus while saving for a Koetsu."

It appears that the turntable and arm quality contributes a lot more to the overall sound than popular opinion gives credit to.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Doppelganger said:

Thanks for posting, cafe67. The Kitsune is the latest incarnation of the former Valab LCR, now apparently renamed and in Mk 5 guise. I had a Mk 2 and it was very good so I can only imagine it has improved further over the next three generations. You used to be able to get the Valab direct from Kevin on eBay for around A$1K landed and it was superb value at the price - a number of members still own one of the earlier variants.

Yes I remember the valab gear, they also did a range of audio cables that seemed well spec’ed and priced. 

On 02/07/2021 at 10:10 AM, audiofeline said:

I found the concluding paragraphs to the first Stereophile article interesting, seems to echo what audiophiles have been saying on various forums about the relatively high performance the AT3600 and AT95 series can deliver:

"What I learned from this unusual investigation is that the difference between a $100 cartridge and a $10,000 cartridge is not nearly as big as I previously imagined. Also, the difference between a $1000 turntable and a $10,000 turntable is much greater than I thought it was.

If you are a budding phonophile, I recommend buying one of these inexpensive cartridges and putting your car-payment cash into a quiet, solid turntable and tonearm. That way, you can ride the bus while saving for a Koetsu."

It appears that the turntable and arm quality contributes a lot more to the overall sound than popular opinion gives credit to.

This is something I have been saying for a long time. I while ago I put a AT95e on a sP10mk2 with my Eminent Technology air arm and was shocked how good it sounded. I also bought dad a AT3600l and was shocked how poor it sounded on his system and how great it sounded on mine. Basically a great turntable and a cheap cart can sound amazing, but a great cart and a cheap turntable will still sound rubbish.

I hear a lot of carts, apart my own large collection I hear a lot of customers carts and differences exist but they are far smaller than hifi mags would have you believe.

Chris

Edited by cafe latte
typo
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, cafe latte said:

This is something I have been saying for a long time. I while ago I put a AT95e on a sP10mk2 with my Eminent Technology air arm and was shocked how good it sounded. I also bought dad a AT3600l and was shocked how poor it sounded on his system and how great it sounded on mine. Basically a great turntable and a cheap cart can sound amazing, but a great cart and a cheap turntable will still sound rubbish.

I hear a lot of carts, apart my own large collection I hear a lot of customers carts and differences exist but they are far smaller than hifi mags would have you believe.

Chris

This goes back to the 80's and Ivor. I'm really having problems changing my Stanton 881 (with original stylus) over to my MC's. I have the  Valab TF1 and quite happy with it.

I think one of the big factor with cartridge market is it's much easier to upgrade cartridge that makes it more tempting than upgrading turntable. But yes agree in my experience turntable first. 

On 7/8/2021 at 9:43 PM, mloutfie said:

I think one of the big factor with cartridge market is it's much easier to upgrade cartridge that makes it more tempting than upgrading turntable. But yes agree in my experience turntable first. 

And that a lot of turntables have average carts on them, so the cart upgrade can be a very sensible thing to do.  But not to put a $2K cart on a $800 turntable. 

Cheaper? I think they range from about $1200 - $2k USD. Would be interesting to compare the Kitsune against the standard Valab. Maybe one day. FYI YouTuber Ron at New Record Day did a video of the Kitsune version recently & gave it high marks.