Sony TV Owners & Discussion Thread

I have been reading this thread for a couple of years, now I may as well add to the saga as my 60" SXRD seems to have developed the same OB problem as many other people have come across.

This Tv had always presented a beautiful vibrant picture, but a couple months back I noticed that peoples skin-tones on shows were becoming oddly orange looking. By adjusting the colour settings I was able to get something that sort of looked okay, but it was never as natural & realistic as it once was and became increasingly disapointing to view.

Over the weekend I reverted all the settings to standard & was dismayed at how badly the picture came out. Everything now seems to have a green tinge - even running a graduated grey-scale test screen produces a horrible yellow-green smear across the picture.

I bought the TV at DSE in mar 07, and at that time they offered an extended warranty through Prestige Protection for a total of 5 years cover, so I took them up on that for a pretty reasonable price. I could not find too many mentions of this warranty company while searching various tech forums, just a few laptops seemed to come up. I suppose I will find out now how well they perform.

Starting the claim process seems to have been pretty painless, and they have booked a visit on friday from SSS Electronics who seem to be pretty well recommended via other posts in this thread. I am pretty certain from what I have read here that my problem will be OB related, and with the recent discussions around lack of spares from Sony I am pessimistic about a likely repair situation.

I will just hope for a sensible outcome for now.

I've just gotten off the phone to Sony. I've mentioned my Optical Block has gone....I mentioned it's so bad I'm struggling to watch it.....I mentioned it's only 3 years old and cost me $8000....I mentioned Statutory Warranty....I also mentioned about US replacing the OB (free of charge) until 30 June 2010 - thanks for the info drsmith!

The Sony person I spoke with started to raise a reference call for me and said someone would call me back in 3-5 days.

However, he couldn't 'submit' the reference because I haven't had an authorised Sony Service Agent look at my product. I originally had someone booked in to look at it...but it's obvious it's the Optical Block hence I cancelled the Service Agent to save myself $200 (price he charges to come to your house - it's not exactly a tv you can take to them!).

The Sony person has left the call open and I need to call him back after the Sony Service Agent looks at it. Grrrr......soooo annoying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Starting the claim process seems to have been pretty painless, and they have booked a visit on friday from SSS Electronics who seem to be pretty well recommended via other posts in this thread. I am pretty certain from what I have read here that my problem will be OB related, and with the recent discussions around lack of spares from Sony I am pessimistic about a likely repair situation.

I will just hope for a sensible outcome for now.

I dealt with them and they were very professional. You just need to make your mind up whether to go for a replacement OB or a trade in.Good luck.

Edited by john h

Just had a Sony Service Agent come out and assess my tv. 2min and $90 later he confirmed it was the Optical Block (surprise surprise).

I'm going to call Sony back tomorrow and demand action be taken. I actually got a call from Sony today and it sounds like they're being very proactive with this issue.....so I'm feeling pretty confident.

Pixel - have you heard anything yet???

Just had a Sony Service Agent come out and assess my tv. 2min and $90 later he confirmed it was the Optical Block (surprise surprise).

I'm going to call Sony back tomorrow and demand action be taken. I actually got a call from Sony today and it sounds like they're being very proactive with this issue.....so I'm feeling pretty confident.

Pixel - have you heard anything yet???

So the replacement has to be a Sony display not Panasonic or Samsung?

cheers laurie

So the replacement has to be a Sony display not Panasonic or Samsung?

cheers laurie

Not entirely sure but I would put my money on it having to be a Sony tv. What's the best (and biggest) Sony tv out there???

I had a read through the US Law Suit someone recently posted - apparently Sony were advertising that these tv's would last for ages and last waaaay longer than plasmas or lcds. I think they said 27 years or something ridiculous lol.

I haven't heard anything back. I called yesterday and left a message to let them know I was considering, only considering, the offer of changing over to a 60" LCD - if they lower the price substantially. Unfortunately there's nothing over 60" in the 2010 lineup. The top 60" displays are the EX700 and NX800 series - main difference being the NX800 has a borderless design, glass front, and 200Hz vs 100Hz. That being said, it'd certainly be a step down from a 70" SXRD, both in terms in size and image quality.

Anyways, will call back tomorrow to chase up.

kitcho9, at least you still have your TV... mine's been stuck at the service center for 3 weeks now, and to add insult to injury, the old 42" plasma I've been using in the meantime exploded! I'm now watching telly on a 24" computer monitor!!!

I'm very keen to hear how you go kitcho9 - seeing as we're in pretty much the same boat, we should be able to achieve the same outcome - meaning a relatively inexpensive new OB, or a heavily discounted upgrade to a new display.

Edited by pixelengine

I haven't heard anything back. I called yesterday and left a message to let them know I was considering, only considering, the offer of changing over to a 60" LCD - if they lower the price substantially. Unfortunately there's nothing over 60" in the 2010 lineup. The top 60" displays are the EX700 and NX800 series - main difference being the NX800 has a borderless design, glass front, and 200Hz vs 100Hz. That being said, it'd certainly be a step down from a 70" SXRD, both in terms in size and image quality.

Anyways, will call back tomorrow to chase up.

kitcho9, at least you still have your TV... mine's been stuck at the service center for 3 weeks now, and to add insult to injury, the old 42" plasma I've been using in the meantime exploded! I'm now watching telly on a 24" computer monitor!!!

I'm very keen to hear how you go kitcho9 - seeing as we're in pretty much the same boat, we should be able to achieve the same outcome - meaning a relatively inexpensive new OB, or a heavily discounted upgrade to a new display.

Mate, I've been thinking about it and I really think there should be ONLY two outcomes:

1. Sony replace the Optical Block...or....

2. Sony give us a replacement tv or equal value/quality (we don't pay a cent!)

It sounds like any tv will be a step down but the NX800 sounds like the closest to this.

Anything else from Sony is not good enough. Have you read the US lawsuit (a few posts above) - a very interesting (and long) read. US customers who have a stuffed Optical Block before 30 June 2010 get one of the above two options. It should be the same for us. Just be persistent mate...and let me know if you hear anything (and vice versa).

PS. You're right - I do have my SXRD still...but it's bloody frustrating to watch!! :P

Edited by kitcho9

What's the best (and biggest) Sony tv out there???

The Sony SXRD 70 is the best and biggest.

Thats the bloody problem..lol

If they could warranty the optical engine for 4 years ( or hours equivalent) I would be inclined to skip all the hoop jumping with Sony and just pay the $3000 for a new OB.

I am not paying $3000 just to go through the same problem in 16 months though that is for sure.

Must admit, I have lost faith in Sony after this experience. ;)

The top 60" displays are the EX700 and NX800 series - main difference being the NX800 has a borderless design, glass front, and 200Hz vs 100Hz. That being said, it'd certainly be a step down from a 70" SXRD , both in terms in size and image quality.

And that is the problem.

The only option is a smaller TV with questionable PQ. :(

Those border-less models do look nice though must admit.

Either way, thanks for the updates Kitcho and Pixel, much appreciated chaps.

Hi, I was just wondering how long does it normally for your warranty claims to be processed and how long it took for you to get your new/old tv back? Mine seems to be taking a while and it's very annoying as I try to check up on the progress (and have been waiting for a long time before my call even gets answered and then I get put back on hold again LOL) and in the end, no progress has happened LOL.

I'm dealing with an extended warranty with Retravision - the warranty company now want a second quote on repair after European Electronics came out to look at my 40" KDLX3100 and quoted to replace the panel (which has the multi image blurry lines which goes away after 10 mins - but which is now starting to appear after 30 mins plus). The warranty company is baulking at the idea of a replacement set so I now have to send the TV away to another repairer that can't do an onsite repair/review. They don't know how long I will be without the panel.

I think it is absurd that this is happening and Sony should be doing the replacement as there are clearly serious issues that make the unit not fit for the purpose (or the original purchase price) beyond the initial 12 months.

Btw does anyone know where I can rent an LCD panel for for 2-3 weeks?

Ok guys...

Just got a call from Sony with GOOD news.

They will FULLY pay for my Optical Block :)

All I have to pay for is shipping + manual labour to actually replace the existing OB. Comes to $360. I couldn't be happier. They ordered the part from Singapore today and my tv will be picked up sometime in the next fortnight...I'm just hoping everything goes to plan so I have the tv back for the FIFA World Cup!!

Pixel - have you heard anything mate? It all seemed a bit too simple for me...I only rang Sony once and they were excellent to deal with.

When I emailed them the quote from the Sony Service Agent, I also included a link to the US lawsuit. Not sure if that made a difference...

Anyway, now I just gotta wait for the OB to arrive and hope that they install it correctly. I've heard of issues of alignment etc after replacing the OB???

Ok guys...

All I have to pay for is shipping + manual labour to actually replace the existing OB. Comes to $360. I couldn't be happier. They ordered the part from Singapore today and my tv will be picked up sometime in the next fortnight...I'm just hoping everything goes to plan so I have the tv back for the FIFA World Cup!!

Pixel - have you heard anything mate? It all seemed a bit too simple for me...I only rang Sony once and they were excellent to deal with.

When I emailed them the quote from the Sony Service Agent, I also included a link to the US lawsuit. Not sure if that made a difference...

Anyway, now I just gotta wait for the OB to arrive and hope that they install it correctly. I've heard of issues of alignment etc after replacing the OB???

Great news kitcho well done

cheers laurie

Ok guys...

Excellent news. I know how you must feel.

I have always found Sony very responsive to fair, reasonable and incontrovertible argument.

Keep us apprised of the results.

Ok guys...

Awesome, awesome news! I immediately called Sony after reading this but the supervisor I've been speaking to wasn't in so I asked to be called back (after also explaining the deal you were offered).

I sent you a PM... not sure if it went through or not.

Well done.

You may have to fine tune the geometry yourself. It's a physical service adjustment and while it's not difficult the tech in my case had no idea (even though he replaced the OB without reference to the service manual).

Well done.

You may have to fine tune the geometry yourself. It's a physical service adjustment and while it's not difficult the tech in my case had no idea (even though he replaced the OB without reference to the service manual).

Interesting. I watched closely when the techie replaced one of our OBs. Took him less than a half hour and it just "snapped" into place. I asked but he said that usually it was a simple remove and replace without any adjustment required. Certainly was in our case.

Well done.

Hmm I have no idea how to do that. I might just cross my fingers and hope the replacement goes smoothly without any geometry issues!

Pixel - I'll shoot you a private message in a tick mate.

Hmm I have no idea how to do that. I might just cross my fingers and hope the replacement goes smoothly without any geometry issues!

kitcho9, I don't suppose you could shoot me an email to pxlngn@gmail.com?

I think my PMs are stuffing up...

Just got a question about my 40W5500. When I press the info button to get program information it seems that it's not displaying the full information. Right now I'm watching the NBA on One HD for example and the info is cut off mid sentence followed by [Program info @ Ten]. Is there any way to get it to display the entire text?

Would it not be on the safe side to request a viewing of the set when its finished while in the workshop! last thing you want to happen is get it home to see issues that you may pick up ;)

cheers laurie

Hey kitcho9

Can I ask who you spoke to at Sony to get decent service? I've had my OB replaced by Aland Electronics under an extended warranty and they stuffed up the install (heck they spent 7 months stuck in the service menu and left it on their shelf collecting dust!) and then when they returned it, it was so far out of focus and missaligned it was unwatchable... It got sent to Telefix in coopers plains who spent 2 weeks and all they did was reset defaults and tell me there "is nooooo adjustment for alignment or focus." and then refuse to do anything about it.

So Horizon 5 who are the extended warranty people take that report and tell me to shove it up my arse. So i have a 70" SXRD with a new OB and 2 spare new bulbs and so far out of focus I can't watch or read text on it. yay...

If anyone has a helpful contact at sony I could call and explain my problem and get their advice?

Thanks

Mark.