What is the weakest link in my system?

just want to know what you guys think is the weakest link in my system for future upgrades

MY SYSTEM

HTPC(with ASUS XONAR ESSENCE STX soundcard) or OPPO BDP-95 ---->(BELDEN Custom digital coax cables) ----> MINIMAX DAC PLUS( with DEXA discrete op amps, Psvane 12AU7 tube and HiFi Tuning silver+gold audiophile fuse modifications) ---->(XINDAK interconnect) ----> ROTEL RC 1550(pre-amp) ---->(XINDAK interconnect) ----> ROTEL RB 1582(power amp) ---->(AUDIOQUEST ROCKEFELLER speaker cables) ----> WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 9.6

system sounds fantastic and i am really happy with it and could live with it as is, but you know how it is, always wanting to get that little bit extra. So what would guys recommend to be the next component to upgrade? i am thinking speakers but would like some other opinions to either confirm my thoughts or open my eyes. Also advice regarding what speakers to buy if that is the direction that is decided on, or other components/modifications would be much appreciated. I do have a set of speakers in mind should that be the direction i go, they are the Wharfedale Jade 7 but obviously if there are better speakers for the money or if they are overkill for the components i already have then please let me know.

Let me start by saying I have not heard your equipment, either individually or in combination.

From personal experience and from what I have read there may not be a correct answer to your question. Only your ears and your opinion at the end of the day is the correct answer for you.

In my humble opinion your speakers are the weakest link.

As the Jade is a more expensive model than your current speakers they will most likely sound better than your current speakers.

The question then is whether the extra costs will be worth it and also if there are better speakers out there?

I would suggest that either new or even better used you will be able to find speakers that are better than your current speakers or the Jade's.

My personal preference would be Osborn, Lenehan or Paradigm, but I would still try to listen to a similar system or a home demo and let my ears decide.

• Like 1

I would tend to agree with the comments that your speakers may be the weak link in your system, though the Diamond 9.6's are very good speakers. If you're anywhere near the Central Coast, I would send a PM to the seller and see if you can have a look and listen to these:

http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/45684-fs-lewis-muratori-pantera-speakers/

What are your surroundings , can you describe the room ?

Great Question, the room is a component of the audio system,

more often than not the room is the weakest link in system setups, though it is also the most oven overlooked.

Room dimensions, layout and constriction materials WILL contribute to the sound result, from any system in the same room, room acoustic treatments, (the right ones) should be the next upgrade.

• Like 1

As the Jade is a more expensive model than your current speakers they will most likely sound better than your current speakers.

oohh.. big call - I'll leave that one alone!

To the OP - I'd suggest having a look at the following brands for speakers which I have found to partner well with Rotel: B&W, Spendor, PMC and Harbeth.

Cheers,

Chris

• Like 1

I would just add, while the speakers are what they are. Be carefull in presuming its the weakest link. The thing with speakers like any bit of Hifi is very much caught up in laws of diminishing returns :)

Ie spending twice as much on speakers may not bring as much gains as what you might think and just might end up being a side ways move.

The performance of speakers are primarily determined by room and setup too and ancillary equipment feeding. I tend to look at the whole chain. Just seen speakers punching way above their weight in several situations.

Would like to see pics of the room, layout how have system setup.

• Like 1

oohh.. big call - I'll leave that one alone!

To the OP - I'd suggest having a look at the following brands for speakers which I have found to partner well with Rotel: B&W, Spendor, PMC and Harbeth.

Cheers,

Chris

I have the Rotel 1582 driving B & W CM8s and they are a good match.

What are your surroundings , can you describe the room ?

the room is a rectangular shape 3.5m x 10m with doors on every wall setup is across the narrowest side and is the only configuration possible, speakers are about 2m apart listening position is slightly off center although when the wife goes to Sydney the chairs get a temporary adjustment. The room is a problem but that is not going to change any time

What is it about your current speakers that you would like to improve?

i am looking for a bit more "air" so to speak and a bit more detail

Edited by nothing1

I'm with Jv on this one, probably the speakers, though my experience with rotel is that they are a bit bright with metal tweeters so that would probably rule out the Osborns from his list.

Which Xindac ICs are you using? If you can find out a little about their construction you may be able to tweek the sound by replacing them with an IC of a slightly different construction (ie replace multi stranded copper with thick core copper) fairly cheaply. Any effect will be fairly small (certainly nothing like changing the speakers) but you should be able to do it for a much smaller outlay as well. Just a thought.

• Like 2

There is so much can usually do with a room and setup. 2m apart for speakers doest sound like far apart.

If working on image air and detail. Tell us how far speakers from the wall behind. How far from speakers is the listening posn. Are the speakers on stands is there toe in ? What is the wall behind the listening posn? What are furnishings in the room ? All these impact greatly on end result and areas looking for gains. Can pass on a lot of tips as well if after was to treat and condition the room for better acoustics and just using regular furnishings and care in setup. Very hard to do this without some pics and layout info. A lot if this trial and error too so not something easily solved on the net.

While equipment sounds like easy option, might not bring gains looking for. Gains that maybe brought with just some changes that will maybe benefit what you have now anything upgrade to. But hard to suggest anything without additional info.

I have just noticed you are in NSW. What are the chances of going to Sydney for the hi fi show?

Also agree with others that we tend to ignore the room and what we could/should do with it.

PM me with details and i will see if i can make it

[quote name=:) al' timestamp='1349831346' post='776184]

There is so much can usually do with a room and setup. 2m apart for speakers doest sound like far apart.

If working on image air and detail. Tell us how far speakers from the wall behind. How far from speakers is the listening posn. Are the speakers on stands is there toe in ? What is the wall behind the listening posn? What are furnishings in the room ? All these impact greatly on end result and areas looking for gains. Can pass on a lot of tips as well if after was to treat and condition the room for better acoustics and just using regular furnishings and care in setup. Very hard to do this without some pics and layout info. A lot if this trial and error too so not something easily solved on the net.

While equipment sounds like easy option, might not bring gains looking for. Gains that maybe brought with just some changes that will maybe benefit what you have now anything upgrade to. But hard to suggest anything without additional info.

I think the easiest way to describe how everything is setup is to upload some pictures, but i can tell you straight up that the room is $h!t and the wife is less than helpful with finding a solution.

Ouch ok so speaker jammed into a corner one side too plus doesn't look like far from the back wall. Minimum I'd do is move the speakers out from back wall as much as can atleast so flush with the door way. I see your seating is hard against a back wall too. That won't help either. You can get treatments that will help that back wall and you can buy them as pieces of modern art. Can be done and look good.

More radical and not to change the whole house around ! But is that a kitchen in the room adjoining the system. I notice the dining table is at the other end of the room. Is swapping the dining table and your system an option ? Most people have dining tables nearer the kitchen and just thinking Is the dining table area more confucive so the speaker not hard up against a wall ? More in the open. Can you post even a hand drawn layout showing The room, furniture all the doorways etc ?

Coridor setups are not all that bad. I had one in one house I rented and actually got a good result. Had heavy curtains behind me and speakers had plenty of room to breathe on the long wall. One thing I didn't have to worry about was reflections from side walls ! So yeah to encourage you can be done. Just give us a bit more info. And ps I know wives can be unwilling, but its a case of working on it, don't give up. Mount good arguments, demonstrate by showing her if making changes. Takes bit of work but they do come on board... Even if its just accepting rather than agreeing hehe

I would see the weakest link is the room/speaker combination.

I doubt those speakers are a good match for that size room and layout, and they can probably be improved anyway.

I'd be looking at a high quality sub sat configuration with the ability to EQ the sub.

as everyone can see the room is no help at all, we are planning on moving sometime in the near future and hopefully will have a better room to work with. Moving the speakers any further away from the wall really isn't possible as they will be too close to the seating (speaker to ears = 2.4m)plus i have careless children who would be bound to knock them over. The more i think about it the more i think i should maybe leave things the way they are until i find a better room to fully realize my systems potential, as that may provide the improvement i am looking for without having to spend any extra money on things that may not be necessary, decisions decisions???

cant you put the AV gear where that wooden table and chairs are and have the wooden table and chairs near the kitchen where the AV gear currently is?

That's what i was suggesting earlier as well in my previous post,