Ascension Audio (Adelaide Speakers) Owners & Discussion Thread

Not sure what everyone thinks of this as the spot on top of the speaker. Also the little bits at the front were the top coat came off. Very minor?

I know it is small, so worth asking edward to look at it when looking at adjusting changing tweeters.

Is my mate been a bit picky?

Pic here

http://i444.photobucket.com/albums/qq166/rocky501/P1010666.jpg

One of the tops of mine looks very similar actually, no damage, but a massive difference in colour across the top of one. I put it down to the variances in the real wood veneer and it doesn't worry me at all, but if your mate is concerned or unhappy I'm sure Edward would only be to pleased to help.

Okay. I've given in to temptation.

I've been so busy (statring new job) that I haven't found a chance to tee up a look/listen to any of the guys here in Tassie with Edwards speakers.... but new job = money, and this money has burnt a hole in my pocket.

... and you only get one chance to buy yourself a 30th present, right?!! Right.

I had originally ordered a 'Sentinel' 2-way transmission-line, using the Peerless 6.5 HDS nomex (not the exclusive, which looks butt ugly, IMO), and the Peerless DX tweeter.

... I just 'upgraded' my order to:

'Summoner' 863 3-way (TL) using the 8" HDX nomex, 5" Kevlar, and Fountek Neo3.0 ribbon.

As long aas they're not too big for my room, and the ribbon is not too harsh, I think I'll be happy.

I'll be initially driving with a Pioneer AVR (too trebley??!??) ... but will be buying a more suitable 2chan amp when my money-tree recovers.

----

'cmon guys. Convince me I've done the right thing. :-D

Edited by davewantsmoore

Interesting about the ribbons sounding harsh, I don't find that the case at all with mine. I've spent about 3-4 hours all up listening to them now. Still sounding very smooth and detailed.

Only thing I find is that the room that the speakers are in, and where I am sitting, the bass seems weak, if I move the seat forward about 50cm then the bass is strong again. But I can't leave the seat there as then it blocks the doorway. Can't wait to put these speakers in my room.

Oh I forgot, if anyone has Massive Attack's Mezzanine album, please play the first song "Angel" I think. around the 30 second mark when the bass comes in, faaaaaaaarrrrr out!!!!

I'll be listening to them tonight again can't wait to try out Eagles - Hell freezes over that I just picked up :nana Hotel California here I come :confused:

I've been so busy (statring new job) that I haven't found a chance to tee up a look/listen to any of the guys here in Tassie with Edwards speakers.... but new job = money, and this money has burnt a hole in my pocket.

I had originally ordered a 'Sentinel' 2-way transmission-line, using the Peerless 6.5 HDS nomex (not the exclusive, which looks butt ugly, IMO), and the Peerless DX tweeter.

... I just 'upgraded' my order to what looks like a copy of Lamtran's (coincidentally)

'Summoner' 3-way (TL) using the 8" HDX nomex, 5" Kevlar, and Fountek Neo3.0 ribbon.

... I'm "concerned" about the ribbon being too harsh, and about the increased size (it's only 10cm x 4cm x 2cm - HWD bigger) ... but this is a fair volume increase for my medium sized room.

I'll be initially driving with a Pioneer AVR (too trebley??!??) ... but will be buying a more suitable 2chan amp when my money-tree recovers.

----

Way to go, am sure you will love them. As to the ribbons, well each to their own. Mine were a lil forward but had them tweak'd and now I love them. I'm driving mine with a pioneer avr too, though a older model, but have different amps driving them.

Interesting about the ribbons sounding harsh, I don't find that the case at all with mine. I've spent about 3-4 hours all up listening to them now. Still sounding very smooth and detailed.

Only thing I find is that the room that the speakers are in, and where I am sitting, the bass seems weak, if I move the seat forward about 50cm then the bass is strong again. But I can't leave the seat there as then it blocks the doorway. Can't wait to put these speakers in my room.

Oh I forgot, if anyone has Massive Attack's Mezzanine album, please play the first song "Angel" I think. around the 30 second mark when the bass comes in, faaaaaaaarrrrr out!!!!

I'll be listening to them tonight again can't wait to try out Eagles - Hell freezes over that I just picked up :nana Hotel California here I come :confused:

I'll have to have a listen to that Angel, I have the eagles album and man, HC is my fav track on there. Is friggin excellent

Boots, you will prolly find if you use a SPL meter that you actually have the volume higher than you would have before. The cleaner the sound the more comfy it is at greater volume, I think we all do this without noticing.

Hi there,

Yeah I'm sure you're right - I had a similar experience, 30 odd years ago, with IMF Monitors - distortion = loudness so no distortion => not loud.

Boots.

... I just 'upgraded' my order to:

'Summoner' 863 3-way (TL) using the 8" HDX nomex, 5" Kevlar, and Fountek Neo3.0 ribbon.

As long aas they're not too big for my room, and the ribbon is not too harsh, I think I'll be happy.

----

Congrats, you will be very pleased, the quality/price ratio is so great you cant help but be extremely pleased, welcome to "The Club"

..........and I still wish I had selected the ribbons, extra detail to me can only be a positive, it may mean you have to fiddle to get the sound how you want it, but more detail can only be a good thing.

Plugged the 1220TL in last night for the first time. We watched Rambo. My god, I'm very very impressed with the Sub. Compared to my parents Velodyne, chalk and cheese. My dad was very very impressed, so much so he will keep the 1220TL plugged in until I am ready to take it. Looks like he might be ordering one after I take this one :nana

The bass is very very controlled, and it goes oh so low! One word. AWESOME!

Hi guys, very new to this forum..after reading this thread, i gave Edward a call and i decided to order the 1093 speakers...hehe...so 6 weeks (give or take) till i receive the speakers...cant wait....

BTW, are the ribbon tweeters & kevlar mids worth the upgrade?

Also, what amps are u guys using to power the speakers?

feel free to recommend...thanks. :D

Edited by wrexican

Hi guys, very new to this forum..after reading this thread, i gave Edward a call and i decided to order the 1093 speakers...hehe...so 6 weeks (give or take) till i receive the speakers...cant wait....

BTW, are the ribbon tweeters & kevlar mids worth the upgrade?

Also, what amps are u guys using to power the speakers?

feel free to recommend...thanks. :D

Hi, Wrexican, welcome.

For the minimal extra expense, I think the upgrades are worthwhile, keep in mind some people do find the ribbons too be very bright, so depends on what you like to listen too.

Good time to buy some cheap Rotel gear as I did recently, the old series is being run out and the dealers are very negotiable on the old stock 10 series which is very good quality.

There are many other quality brands available also depending on your budget.

Edited by NGM

The upgrades to my timberwolves were.....

Five and a half inch ribbon tweeters.

Six inch SB Acoustics mid range.

Quite expensive upgrades but well worth it.

The speakers were specially designed to handle 300 watts per channel into 8 ohms.

The larger ribbons are excellent, with heaps of detail, and no harshness.

The mid ranges sound quite neutral - not piercing or grainy, while singing sounds very natural.

These timberwolves have been described by my friends as "rich sounding" or "warm".

I describe them as "flat" throughout the entire frequency range. You can listen to them for hours, and they are not fatiguing at all, which is the hallmark of very good speakers.

I drive them with a 250 WPC Hi Fi amp.

And yes, they are very loud, and undistorted.

The speakers are quite large and weigh 46kg each. Shipping to Sydney was $120.

For less than $2000 a pair, including shipping, these speakers represent excellent value.

Welcome to the Club.

Edited by meowgly
extra info

The upgrades to my timberwolves were.....

Five and a half inch ribbon tweeters.

Six inch SB Acoustics mid range.

Quite expensive upgrades but well worth it.

The speakers were specially designed to handle 300 watts per channel into 8 ohms.

The larger ribbons are excellent, with heaps of detail, and no harshness.

The mid ranges sound quite neutral - not piercing or grainy, while singing sounds very natural.

These timberwolves have been described by my friends as "rich sounding" or "warm".

I describe them as "flat" throughout the entire frequency range. You can listen to them for hours, and they are not fatiguing at all, which is the hallmark of very good speakers.

I drive them with a 250 WPC Hi Fi amp.

And yes, they are very loud, and undistorted.

The speakers are quite large and weigh 46kg each. Shipping to Sydney was $120.

For less than $2000 a pair, including shipping, these speakers represent excellent value.

Welcome to the Club.

Sounds fantastic. I'm still hoping to hear a pair soon.

I placed my order after speaking at length with Edward on Monday. I'm not making any changes to the standard kit on offer:

Summoner 863

Firesprite 502

Centre 442

Sub 1222

ETA 4-5 weeks. Can't wait!

Note that the prices are approx +15% of what is currently advertised on the website. Edward advised that his cabinet costs have almost doubled in recent months.

Delivery was a very reasonable $150 for the whole kit to Melbourne.

I'll let you know my thoughts when they arrive.

David

Hi lamtran your speakers look impressive. What colour did you go for?

I have seen his previous black and it was a bit brownish/greyish, but yours seem very black.

I'd like to know this too. Edward told me there is old black (dark grey, brownish) .... or "new black" that's quite dark black.

I don't want the blackest black.... dark charcol colour would be nice.

Hi guys, I got a Black finish, It is a satin finish, and it is Black, there are no shades of brown in it or grey. Just Black. I requested that from Edward. I think his standard black is more a blackish brown colour.

As for the ribbon and kevlar upgrade being worth it, I never listened to the standard ones. The combo I got sound very detailed and not harsh at all. Hope that helps.

Only some people find ribbons bright/forward and it also depends on the equipment thats processing/amping the signal as well as the recording of the song itself. And well, somepeople just don't like them I guess too as it may be too larger of a change from what they are used to.

When someone says a speaker is harsh or fatiguing to listen to that doesn't mean another person won't love it, different strokes for different folks.

As to the leed time, I think it's more than fair as your not buying a off-the-shelf product. I had to wait much longer for my lounge and we have some other furniture on oder now which may be months away.

I just placed a order for my sub and I'm so excited, going to go with a Redgum RGSW3 for the plate amp and a dual 10" XXLS Peerless drivers. I'd like more power and 2 x 12"'s but I just don;t have the room to squeeze it into lol.

I just placed a order for my sub and I'm so excited, going to go with a Redgum RGSW3 for the plate amp and a dual 10" XXLS Peerless drivers. I'd like more power and 2 x 12"'s but I just don;t have the room to squeeze it into lol.

oh dear, I feel a laundry reno coming on! :D lol

Edward described his black to me as being more like a very dark chocolate colour - not brown, but not quite pure black either. He said going the totally black route tends to negate the natural beauty of the veneer.

But he said if a customer really wanted black he would send the boxes to his cabinet maker to do a customer job - with added time and money.

Lam would be able to confirm whether he requested a special black or if his black was the standard 2 coat finish.

David

has anyone bought this firefox / woodfox 6.5" driver speakers? how do they sound? can they compete with value for money commercial ones like Paradigm Studio 20?

anyone have these (or other Adelaide speakers) in sydney that wont mind me coming around to demo for a little while? :)