ONKYO AV Receiver Owners Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, my current setup is a TX-SR607 with DefTech ProCinema 600 (recently replaced the sub with a ProSub 800). However, my SR607 recently gave up the ghost (whenever I power it on, it goes into Protect mode with blinking red LED seconds after I power it on). I'm currently stuck between repairing it at SIGMA AV at SLS (was quoted $80 over the phone, not sure if this will change when I bring the receiver down for further diagnosis), and getting a new receiver.

I went to Alpha Audio yesterday and the salesperson was actively recommending the NR646 for $750 to me. My dilemma is as follows:

Getting the new 646:

Pros-

1) Brand new condition.

2) 2 yrs warranty.

3) Better sound quality?

Cons-

Comparatively expensive than repairing my existing 607.

Repairing my current 607:

Pros-

1) Repair cost is comparatively cheap (I hope)

Cons-

2) Not sure if current problem will re-surface again.

3) New problems might surface.

I guess I would like to seek some advice from the gurus here. Would the 646 provide significantly better sound quality than my aging 607, given my current DefTech 5.1 setup? Or would I just be better off repairing the 607, given my not so great speaker setup? I don't really need the new features like AirPlay, Internet radio and whatnot of the 646.

get the 646 bro, u won't regret even though u don't need to use most of its features.

u will be shocked at the difference in sound signature in these new offerings from onkyo..

the older generations sound flat compared to the new series.

trust me on this.

i know my Onkyo's well!

hehehehe!!

;D

Bro,

Ask yourself :

1) Did you watch movie (bluray) or listen to music quite often? 

If answer YES then buy new AVR... It is time to pamper yourself, enjoy life. It will last you longer (make sure you handle with care

especially on heat dissipation... I place 120mm fan on top of my Onkyo in order to suck out heat)

Onkyo is dynamic but less detail compare to Denon. You will feel its punch ! It suit me well coz I love to watch movie.

2) Is it safe to send your AVR to them (they are not appointed service centre for ONKYO)?

I personally not comfortable but don't know about you.

They may use equivalent component (not original) so long your AVR can work... hopefully I am wrong.

3) Is your speakers good enough to handle bigger power for better system? you can upgrade later when budget is ready

4) Repair TX-SR607 then sell ? :o

* taxi fee  : which one will be cheaper? going to Adelphi or going to SLS ? 1-way or 2-ways ?

It is just my opinion

;D

get the 646 bro, u won't regret even though u don't need to use most of its features.

u will be shocked at the difference in sound signature in these new offerings from onkyo..

the older generations sound flat compared to the new series.

trust me on this.

i know my Onkyo's well!

hehehehe!!

;D

Hahaha I had a hunch that you'd ask me to hoot before I saw your reply. :P I have no doubt that there will be a difference in quality, but budget kind of tight right now. Am concerned that the difference may not be big enough to make me shell out that much more, especially seeing as my speakers may not be good enough to utilise the 646 properly.

Bro,

Ask yourself :

1) Did you watch movie (bluray) or listen to music quite often? 

If answer YES then buy new AVR... It is time to pamper yourself, enjoy life. It will last you longer (make sure you handle with care

especially on heat dissipation... I place 120mm fan on top of my Onkyo in order to suck out heat)

Onkyo is dynamic but less detail compare to Denon. You will feel its punch ! It suit me well coz I love to watch movie.

2) Is it safe to send your AVR to them (they are not appointed service centre for ONKYO)?

I personally not comfortable but don't know about you.

They may use equivalent component (not original) so long your AVR can work... hopefully I am wrong.

3) Is your speakers good enough to handle bigger power for better system? you can upgrade later when budget is ready

4) Repair TX-SR607 then sell ? :o

* taxi fee  : which one will be cheaper? going to Adelphi or going to SLS ? 1-way or 2-ways ?

It is just my opinion

;D

1) Yes, I watch movies very often. Music very rarely. That's why I went for Onkyo, and don't see my choice changing in the future. My sound preferences also lean heavily towards punch and power rather than a refined signature.

Actually I was thinking of overhauling my system about 2, 3 years down the road. I will be changing everything, from my receiver to speakers. That is why I am hesitant t to buy a new one now.  The 607 was serving me nicely, and I am satisfied with it (although that is probably because I have never heard the newer gear these few years, and the improvements in sound quality they offer.)

2) I'm not sure about that, but then again I googled them and they have been around for several years. People have posted positive experiences on them, but I haven't seen a negative experience. I think if they can be around for several years, they must be pretty good at what they do. I did contact Hwee Seng, the official Onkyo distro in SG, but they told me repairs will be around $200-300+ (not exceeding $400). Compared to $80, pretty no brainer.

3) This is the part I'm unsure of. The ProCinema 600 isn't exactly high end speakers, and I would just be wasting my money on the 646 if my speakers can't bring out the quality.

Taxi fare-wise, since Adelphi and SLS aren't exactly far from each other, I'm not worried about that. :)

Thanks for the advise guys, greatly valued and appreciated. I'm leaning towards repairing the 607, but would love to hear more inputs. :D

If purchasing the 646 will not prohibit your ability to overhaul your system 2-3 years from now and if the cost is not a big issue then you should go for it.  The 2 year warranty on the new unit should keep you worry free till your next upgrade and you'll be up to date with the current technologies.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I need help and advice with my Onkyo TX-SR875 AVR.

Was watching bluray movie with 5.1 configuration when I noticed no sound coming from the center channel and the Subwoofer. I performed a test tone and there is no sound coming from the center speaker and subwoofer. Front LR and Surround LR are OK.  I switched the AVR off for 30 mins and powered on again. Did a test tone and initially there are signals coming from all 5.1 channels but after a couple of minutes same problem persisted. ( no sound from center speaker and subwoofer ). Checked center speaker and subwoofer connections and all are in order. Front LR, center and surround LR are all driven by the AVR.

This AVR has been serving me well over the last 6-7 years though it is grossly under-utilized. Could there be problem with the internal circuit board or power supply issue?

Would appreciate advice and help from all the bros and gurus out there. Would like to get the AVR repaired and hope it will not cost a bomb. Where can I send the AVR for diagnosis and repair? Alternatively, can any bros recommend a reliable technician? Please PM me if it's not convenient to post here.

All tips and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hi guys,

I need help and advice with my Onkyo TX-SR875 AVR.

Was watching bluray movie with 5.1 configuration when I noticed no sound coming from the center channel and the Subwoofer. I performed a test tone and there is no sound coming from the center speaker and subwoofer. Front LR and Surround LR are OK.  I switched the AVR off for 30 mins and powered on again. Did a test tone and initially there are signals coming from all 5.1 channels but after a couple of minutes same problem persisted. ( no sound from center speaker and subwoofer ). Checked center speaker and subwoofer connections and all are in order. Front LR, center and surround LR are all driven by the AVR.

This AVR has been serving me well over the last 6-7 years though it is grossly under-utilized. Could there be problem with the internal circuit board or power supply issue?

Would appreciate advice and help from all the bros and gurus out there. Would like to get the AVR repaired and hope it will not cost a bomb. Where can I send the AVR for diagnosis and repair? Alternatively, can any bros recommend a reliable technician? Please PM me if it's not convenient to post here.

All tips and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I used this AVR before.

875 is great AVR bro... it is damn heavy and HOT but we can enjoy its power and dynamic !

You can try your luck by resetting it or firmware update... otherwise you may need to send to Hwee Seng

I used this AVR before.

875 is great AVR bro... it is damn heavy and HOT but we can enjoy its power and dynamic !

You can try your luck by resetting it or firmware update... otherwise you may need to send to Hwee Seng

I had done a reset but to no avail. The current firmware on the unit is 1.07/08223A. Not sure if it's up to date. How do I perform a firmware update ? Or perhaps it's better to sent the unit to Hwee Seng. Any idea what's the estimated cost to check, repair and do a firmware update at Hwee Seng?

Thanks

I had done a reset but to no avail. The current firmware on the unit is 1.07/08223A. Not sure if it's up to date. How do I perform a firmware update ? Or perhaps it's better to sent the unit to Hwee Seng. Any idea what's the estimated cost to check, repair and do a firmware update at Hwee Seng?

Thanks

ONKYO website will be a right place to find out whether you are using the latest firmware.

Onkyo doesn't encourage to use wireless connection (coz not stable)... They encouraged user to use cable connection or download to your thumb drive then follow

this video clip

Read manual book.... Perhaps you may give a Call to Hwee Seng for advise....

;D

ONKYO website will be a right place to find out whether you are using the latest firmware.

Onkyo doesn't encourage to use wireless connection (coz not stable)... They encouraged user to use cable connection or download to your thumb drive then follow

this video clip

Read manual book.... Perhaps you may give a Call to Hwee Seng for advise....

;D

Thanks for your help bro..

• 3 weeks later...

two new models jus released from onkyo.

TX-NR656 and TX-NR555.

they have an enhanced version of AccuEQ in them.

sadly, still no news of a flagship model yet.

and the DTS-X firmware still hasn't been rolled out yet too.... :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

u gotta listen to the difference in this AKM chip...

my previous 3030, which i sold away, didn't have this chip..

now the tz-r900 that i have, has this AKM chip, n i can clearly say u must have this AKM chip bro.

its a night n day difference in dark n silent background.

if u got extra cash, go for the higher range for extra power to push. otherwise, this 656 will suffice.

Uh..... Bro... Thats y I say u have to go listen to both if u have the chance..

I have..

N i am impressed with the new AKM chip.

U gotta try.. Go listen n u hear it for yourself.

If not impressed, u can always get the older series.

Choice is up to u....