ONKYO AV Receiver Owners Thread

Likewise.

im doing everything i can guys, including possibly taking the retailer out of the equation and going direct to Onkyo/Ambertech about this.

I can tell you I am not happy and this is creating an immense amount of work for me at the moment that I dont have quite the time to take on.

I am doing my best and am expecting some answers by the end of the week with regards to pricing.

That's definitely the black receiver - the reflections from the ambient light do make it look a little gold though.

Sorry about that. My mistake.

I'm looking forward to posting my review of the 875 when I get it in a week or so.

Thanks for starting the thread

im doing everything i can guys, including possibly taking the retailer out of the equation and going direct to Onkyo/Ambertech about this.

I can tell you I am not happy and this is creating an immense amount of work for me at the moment that I dont have quite the time to take on.

I am doing my best and am expecting some answers by the end of the week with regards to pricing.

Thanks for the update Harry, I know you will be doing your best and I appreciate your efforts.

We appreciate the effort your putting in. If the retailer does the right thing, then it will make life easy for all involved.

Really, the retailer hasn't done any work apart from taking an order for 40+ units & going on the current prices they seem to be making 25% on each unit (which is a good markup really). Retailers like HN & JB HiFi get an extra kickback too, usually 10% or more, so the retailer is doing very well now. I've worked it out that at 20% markup, the retailer is making $12K-$15K on this group buy, maybe more. So without having to chase a sale, they have done really well for themselves.

Unfortunately your stuck in the middle Harry, sorry. I just hope they aren't giving you the run around with stalling tactics.

p.s. if anyone is wondering I work in sales & as a general rule of thumb you make 20-30% on electrical products. Example: 40" M8 Samsung LCD panel advertised at HN is $3900. They'll discount it to $3400 to make the sale. However, they buy this unit from Samsung for no more than $2600 (I won't say exactly how much). You do the sums!!!! If I told you how much money they make on the PS3, you'ld be really pissed off! And on top of that, Gerry Harvey is crying foul because he believe he doesn't make enough margin. On top of that, Harvey Norman has just announced record profits too. What a wank! Compared to the minimal margings that retailers make in the USA, they have it really good here in Australia & you know who suffers, your average joe citizen!!!!

Hi thongz ; about the 8 bit 24 bit option. We currently have 8 bit video so that should be fine ;as you know the 605 is deep colour capable through its hdmi ver1.3 so the 24 bit option is for future deep colour encoded discs Ide guess. Blu ray are coming out with xv ycc encoded discs shortly so try these and see how you go :)

Yes, I can confirm that the retailer is making over 20% up front on the group buy price for the 875 plus any rebates they're getting.

That's pretty excessive (in my opinion) on a 40+ unit deal with basically no work to do on the retailers behalf.

Harry's done a great job putting this all together.

My appreciation of your efforts Harry, even though I didn't go ahead with the group buy myself

Like I said, they will & must price match. Otherwise I will ask for a refund. Simple as that.

I'd say that once both sides have agreed and committed to a price, they are under no obligation to price match a later price.

I'd say that once both sides have agreed and committed to a price, they are under no obligation to price match a later price.

Its not as simple as that expecially when the full amount has not yet been paid. Also retailers have price guarantees etc..

FANTASTIC post on this unit Thongz, THANK YOU for your report. It was especially reassuring to me to see your confirmation of 24p passthrough - is that via the 'thru' option on the menu or does it just automatically pass it though? I'm wondering where all the other owners are.

I didnt think they would have any obligation to match any price at all (but it looks bad for them if they dont in this case)

Thanks for the update too Harry, its a pain the way this has played out, and not from anything you've done. I hope it doesnt put you off organising the powerbuys in future.

FANTASTIC post on this unit Thongz, THANK YOU for your report. It was especially reassuring to me to see your confirmation of 24p passthrough - is that via the 'thru' option on the menu or does it just automatically pass it though? I'm wondering where all the other owners are.

You will find that as most on here went through the group buy that they dont actually have their units yet... :angry2:

I don't think anyone from the group buy has received anything as yet but the 605 buyers should be getting theirs soon.

Edit: Chesty beat me to the punch.

The photos show the receiver is gold in colour.

Are these photos from a unit from Asia and not yours?

I'm told that gold is the only colour they have for these in HK and Singapore and that they are much cheaper there, like $500 to $600.

You seem pretty happy with it, correct?

Thanks for posting your review

I purchased the unit from a Harvey Norman store, 5 min from my place. They had 1 black new in a box (which I bought) and 1 silver on display.

The photos are actual taken from my entertainment unit. U can probably see something that looks like a ps3 and a centre speaker above it.

I had down lights on in the room and no flash on the camera, so it may look a bit gold from that perspective, but it definitely is the black model.

Yep, very happy with it, I certainly didn't have $1500-1600 for the 805 model, and this is a pretty decent upgrade from the one I was using.

I bought my unit for $890 and I'm convinced anyone can walk into a HN store and pick it up for that price as I didn't really try to haggle much. I actually offered a round figure of $900 for the unit and he said he'd do a bit better at $890.

So, who was I to complain, i took it :D

I didnt think they would have any obligation to match any price at all (but it looks bad for them if they dont in this case)

No ones obligated to match a price, but if they don't they are obligitated to give you a refund. That's a fact!

I'm pretty sure its straight passthrough as I didn't alter any of the settings. I just had to enable HDMI monitor out.

Where are the other owners? I certainly can't be the first, HN has been advertising these since the last catalogue which was a while ago.

No ones obligated to match a price, but if they don't they are obligitated to give you a refund. That's a fact!

Says who? I would have thought that once a deal is agreed, and deposits paid, a deal is a deal.

Don't forget the dealer has ordered stock based on people committing to purchase at the agreed price.

Unless the retailer involved has a very clear policy of offering a refund if you later find a lower price, I think it would be dishonourable to push for a refund.

All that aside, I did change the upscale setting from 'auto' to 720p and it did indeeed upscale the pic to 1280X720p@60hz however, I can't seem to get the image to stretch and fill the whole screen. its looks like a widescreen image on a 4:3 portion of a 16:9 screen leaving black vertical bars on both the left and right side of the screen. Has anyone else worked out a way around this?

Anyone elses thoughts on the 720p upscale that doesn't fill the screen and is every other owner here experiencing clicks and pops while watching a blu ray feature through the PS3? Anyone else on this forum have this reciever yet?

Cheers. :)

Wouldn't this be occurring because your Samy TV is full 1080x1920 res and your only sending it 720x1280 (and the tv is not upscaling it)?

Try setting the upscaling option in the receiver to 1080.

Great to read some first hand impressions thongz, thanks mate.

The retailer that the group buy is going through has a 14 day price guarantee listed on their website, but it only applies if you can prove the lower price - eg: a copy of an ad or a receipt for a lower price, and there is terms and conditions on top of that also.

I have ordered the 875 through the GB and so far Harry is doing a great job, I am sure if there is something that can be done he will achieve it.

Daniel.

Guest zippy

I was just at HN over my lunch break and they offered the 805 for $1799. He said it was not in stock at their shop but he could ring around and try to get one (no guarantee that he could find one though).

I didn't even haggle, just enquired about the price. I'm sure he would have come down a few dollars with a bit of talking but my point had already being proven within 5 seconds of talking to him.

Maybe if some of you others in the GB could try the same at your local HN/JB stores so we can get a better picture of what prices are obtainable. Then Harry would have some solid facts to show the GB retailer how far off they are. Everyone knows that buying 40 units should get a better price than buying one!

I suppose if they continue to screw us we can just ask for a refund. Normally those stores have 'Fully-Refundable' deposit so I doubt it would be a problem. Hopefully the retailer sorts this out with Harry soon otherwise I believe they should be 'Named and Shamed' for the way they have handled this whole thing. I definitely won't use them again.

Ahhh. I've had my little tantrum now so sorry guys. (and for the double post but thought it was needed)

Good luck to you too Harry - Kick some ass!

Says who? I would have thought that once a deal is agreed, and deposits paid, a deal is a deal.

Don't forget the dealer has ordered stock based on people committing to purchase at the agreed price.

Unless the retailer involved has a very clear policy of offering a refund if you later find a lower price, I think it would be dishonourable to push for a refund.

Come on offshore, surely you must know your rights as a consumer. At not stage are you locked into any purchased & obliged to buy it. Plus, you can return your purchase just like you can with any item you buy from HN, JB HiFi, K-Mart, Myer, Big W etc......

Know your rights & don't get pushed around by salespeople.

I was just at HN over my lunch break and they offered the 805 for $1799. He said it was not in stock at their shop but he could ring around and try to get one (no guarantee that he could find one though).

I didn't even haggle, just enquired about the price. I'm sure he would have come down a few dollars with a bit of talking but my point had already being proven within 5 seconds of talking to him.

Maybe if some of you others in the GB could try the same at your local HN/JB stores so we can get a better picture of what prices are obtainable. Then Harry would have some solid facts to show the GB retailer how far off they are. Everyone knows that buying 40 units should get a better price than buying one!

I suppose if they continue to screw us we can just ask for a refund. Normally those stores have 'Fully-Refundable' deposit so I doubt it would be a problem. Hopefully the retailer sorts this out with Harry soon otherwise I believe they should be 'Named and Shamed' for the way they have handled this whole thing. I definitely won't use them again.

Ahhh. I've had my little tantrum now so sorry guys. (and for the double post but thought it was needed)

Good luck to you too Harry - Kick some ass!

"Soon" being the operative word.