ONKYO AV Receiver Owners Thread

I am interested in the 875. By the looks of it, people have been able to purchase the 875 for $2,300.00, which is an incredible price for such a well-spec'd A/V receiver.

It is outrageous really. Looks like Onkyo want to swamp the market before the release of the new Denon units. It will be very interesting to see what sort of prices Denon will be demanding. With the Reon chip Onkyo probably had their measure anyway.

mav he is saying the problem is with foxtel, not with the DVD player...

hotwrc, what foxtel box do you have (cable or satellite, digital or IQ) and what connection are you using to plug it into the onkyo?

If you have recently got a SCART to composite video plus left/right audio cable, then the cable may be wired incorreclty, and the audio plugs are wired for audio input not audio output. If you are using digital coax or optical then you may need to set something up in the foxtel menu to enable it to output digital audio

Aagh I see, I read it wrong.

Yamaha will have to drop their prices on the new models to compete with these prices.

About time the massive exchange rate gains against the Yen were passed on to the consumer mind you.

Anyone know how many rear Optical inputs the 875 has? I understand that 605 and 805 only have 2, which is a showstopper.

I am interested in the 875. By the looks of it, people have been able to purchase the 875 for $2,300.00, which is an incredible price for such a well-spec'd A/V receiver.

Hey I know, lets start another group buy on the 875 from one of these retailers :P

Hey Recur grats on the purchase of the 875. I'm wondering now if that was you that was purchasing the units when I was there? Would have been between 4 and 4.30pm. I saw one 875 on a trolly and then saw the JB guy go back to fetch something else. My mate and I were standing around the unit on the trolly for about 5mins trying to find the price on the box :blush: . I currently have a Krell TAS 5 channel amp and a rotel 2 channel amp powering the ex channels so I'm waiting for the 9.8 pre-pro which I hope is coming here. Otherwise i would definatly consider buying the 875 but I just prefer seperates myself :D . Hope it all goes well with the installation and I'm sure we are all waiting for a full review soon.

i went into harveys Indooroopilly today and had 875 on show - it was bloody hot comared to other av receivers running next to it. Make sure if you are getting one of these puppy's that you have plenty of space around it for ventilation. They also had the 605 and 805 on display and they ran hot too.

Asked what price they can do the 875 for and without negotiating at all the sales guy came back with $2388.

Thanks for that report. I've read over on the AVS forums that the new receivers run hot. Hope it doesn't affect the unit itself and any owners who dont have aircon in summer are in for a hot one :( .

Edited by SimonNo10

I wouldn't think that's a problem with them running hot.

Obviously the Onkyo engineers knew they would and still released them so it can't be a problem.

Bear in mind that these have a 3 year warranty in Oz so if they did run hot and failed as a result then the repair would be at Onkyo's cost.

So if you were Onkyo would you design something that was going to cost a fortune in warranty repairs?

I don't think so...

Not bad, the difference between this price and that in Singapore isn't so bad ($AUS 1.6k)

Good specs, but do audition before buying, the techie bits will not be as important as how it sounds ;)

Just curious, has anyone involved in the intital GB been able to negotiate a better price themselves when they picked the unit up?

No. I'm leaving it to Harry to sort it out. He organised the GB so i'm leaving it to him to arrange in everyone's behalf. I just hope it's resolved by the weekend.

It most certainly is, damn the fact that I dont need this stuff for another 5-6 monhts is driving me insane! I would buy one of the 875 in a pinch at $2.3k, thats got to be a record price, as someone has mentioned maybe a group buy juts for 875's would be even more beneficial?

No. I'm leaving it to Harry to sort it out. He organised the GB so i'm leaving it to him to arrange in everyone's behalf. I just hope it's resolved by the weekend.

Someone mentioned that Harry was overseas atm on holidays so I doubt he will be able to arrange anything by this weekend if that is the case.

No disrespect to Harry but the way this has gone down you may wish to take matters in to your own hands...

...and yes he is overseas at the moment so this will drag on for some time yet.

SCART to composite video plus left/right audio cable. Do you know what connection I should be using at the rear, so I can check with my connection?

It sounds like you may simply have a problem ive seen others on here have, where the SCART cable has been wired incorrectly. Im only regurgitating info i read off these forums, but from meory SCART video is bi directional and uses the same wires for in and out. It uses another pin in the SCART connector to signal which direction the video is going. But with audio there are separate pairs of wires/pins for audio in and audio out. At least one other bloke on here ended up having a SCART to component +L/R audio cable where the audio was connected to the wrong pins. Using a website someone posted on here about the SCART spec, he opened up the SCART connector and fixed the audio wires so they used the correct pins, and it solved his problem.

Ill try and dig up the link for you.

This of course assumes that the cable is new and you havent used it in a oprevious setup in which you did get the audio working. Is this the case?

Another option yo udo have is to use digital audio from the foxtel box into the onkyo... the foxtel box should at least have either optical audio or digital coax audio output (i think the IQ has both). You would hook this up to one of the onkyos digital inputs and may need to assign that digital input to the appropriate channel in the receiver, if it isnt the default digital input for the cable/SAT channel already. Then i think you may also have to set the audio output to PCM or similar in the foxtel menu... Not sure if you mentioned which foxtel box you have, but if you do people can probaby give precise instructions. Theoretically using the digital audio from the foxtel box, rather than just L/R RCA audio plugs would give you better audio for channels that broadcast it - I think the movie channels for example broadcast some form of dolby soundtrack.

I havent actually got my onkyo yet, so i am only speaking from research and reading that ive been doing, but im sure someone will jump in and correct me if something ive said is incorrect

OK i couldnt find the exact link i was talking about, but i found another thread discussing the same thing

scroll down to post #31 in this thread where "Andrew S" posts how to repin the SCART cable

If you dont want to repin yourself (eventhough it sounds pretty easy) then you could look at getting another cable, or trying to swap yours over.

Also here is a page detailing the SCART spec. Under the component section youll see audio out is pin 1 and 3, and audio in is 2 and 6.

Once again, this all assumes that your problem is a cable with audio wired for input rather than output!!

i went into harveys Indooroopilly today and had 875 on show - it was bloody hot comared to other av receivers running next to it. Make sure if you are getting one of these puppy's that you have plenty of space around it for ventilation. They also had the 605 and 805 on display and they ran hot too.

Asked what price they can do the 875 for and without negotiating at all the sales guy came back with $2388.

going to pick one up from there tomorrow, will let you know how much after haggling...wish me luck :rolleyes:

K

...and hooked this new one up with the new cables that I recieved from Selby earlier that morning. $25 HDMI cables work a treat.

Are you happy with your cables from Selby? I intend to outfit my entire HT (all cables, audio, HDMI and component) from Selby as their prices are 'affordable' compared to others.

Well done on your purchase, I'm off to pick mine up tomorrow from HN too.

cheers

K

:)

Great find thanks mchuelio.

I'm supposed to get my 875 tomorrow, fingers crossed.

It's going to be a really fun weekend.

It'll be interesting to see if the Reon processing does anything good for Foxtel Digital

Muzzer are you in the GB for the 875?