Tuyen's Sato horns

Upfront

It's all about conditioning mate. Many years of suggestions and gentle persuasion! Ive found that expensive handbags help also.

Didn't say I wasn't jealous ;)

My wife is a bit different to most though, to soften the blow from a recent visit to a record fair I picked her up not earrings or a handbag, but a 1st UK pressing of the Clash's first LP

good stuff T-Man. I would be very keen to throw an ear or two at them thar horns when the time comes. I know you have been chewing the idea around for a while now. What driver and frequency response do you hope to get out of them? Will you use the GOTO SG505TT driver?

Alan

Cheers men. The sato horn was designed as a midrange horn. Can play down to 150hz and up to around 5-6khz. So good in a 3-way setup.

Alan, the plan was to try with the GOTO SG-505TT drivers. Prob try for 200hz to 4000hz with 6db cutoff. Have the Beyma TPL150H AMT ribbon that I got off Bev recently. Very nice organic sounding highs. Although still has a noticeably narrower dispersion pattern compared to the compression tweeters. Will have a play with both anyway. Have found one guy (Dietmar - http://www.german-vintage-loudspeakers.com/navid.786/dietmar-hampels-sato-horn.htm) to use the SATO/beyma combo with good results - http://www.audiovoice-acoustics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1141&page=2

Tis a pity there are not many DIY horn enthusiasts who have experience with the WE/SATO designs on any English based hifi forums. Hard to find advice and tips that could help with the build.

Hello any WE/SATO horn owners out there?!?! :welcome:

Good luck with the Sato build.

I dream of having a big room one day and playing with big horns like these when I win the lotto..... ;)

Thanks mate. The GIP/Silbatone room was apparently packed and the favourite for many at the recent show in Munich.

silbatone_crowd.jpg

Playing to a packed crowd is the Silbatone room. This is my Best Sound At The High End 2012. Sadly, the big Western Electric 15a were last made in 1930 or so. The good news is that the front end tube gear is available and still holds my personal record for best preamplifier and integrated amplifier (see my reviews).

(http://www.enjoythem..._2012/Saturday/)

DSCN0587.jpg

DSCN0586.jpg

DSCN0588.jpg

Horns from 1930, frequency range was not complete, but what came served a lot of smiles to the Listeners Faces....indeed, always crowded and most smilesI think, most modern Systems simply don't get it and the reproduction via those are probably in a way so natural that the human ear simply likes it

(http://www.goodsoundclub.com/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?PageIndex=1&postID=18126#18126)

One powerball!!

Edited by tuyen

This looks great. Dietmar's multicellular attachment for the Beyma looks so cute..

image_a43efc833f11c9521e318ab5ab42b07f.jpg

Interesting to read feedback about the WE15A at the show, especially the hypercritical WE users who are a passionate lot.

• 2 weeks later...

I think so too Jasper! :) Wouldn't mind trying to do the same with my beyma tweets. Doesn't look tooo complicated to glue one together with some thin ply.

Apparently the mini sectoral horn fitted on the beyma widens the dispersion pattern compred to the factory metal horn.

Regarding the WE/SILBATONE group, I find some of them to be a bit too 'fanatical' for my liking. Doesn't stop me from dreaming about a pair of WE15A+WE555 though! :)

On another note, anyone know where they sell bending plywood in Perth???

I think so too Jasper! :) Wouldn't mind trying to do the same with my beyma tweets. Doesn't look tooo complicated to glue one together with some thin ply.

Apparently the mini sectoral horn fitted on the beyma widens the dispersion pattern compred to the factory metal horn.

Regarding the WE/SILBATONE group, I find some of them to be a bit too 'fanatical' for my liking. Doesn't stop me from dreaming about a pair of WE15A+WE555 though! :)

On another note, anyone know where they sell bending plywood in Perth???

I do prefer the look of the multicell extension to the Beyma plastic horn. Looks like a nice project for a lazy Sunday afternoon.

Same dream.... :)

Hello Tuyen

Email this company about their bendy ply ,I know 56 got a sample from them .http://www.australply.com.au/pr_bendy.html

Thanks. Might be handy for me one day.

All the best with your Trio build. They look great so far.

Anyone have experience or know the sonic difference between different materials used to make horns? Wood vs fibreglass vs plastic vs metal?

Even the paper version looks like a bit of work!

All the best with your Trio build. They look great so far. Anyone have experience or know the sonic difference between different materials used to make horns? Wood vs fibreglass vs plastic vs metal?

Metal has maximum strength but the ringing needs to be damped - easily done if you can live with stuff on the back of the horn. That should leave you with something decent, but then again, metal isn't easy to work with and get smooth, so I wouldn't be using metal to start with.

Plastic lacks strength but has some damping already. Has potential for small horns and waveguides, such as in a 2 way with say a 15" wide unit, even then I'd want to improve it with some treatment.

Fibreglass I'd guess would be stronger but probably not as well damped.

Out of all those, wood/ply/MDF probably have the greater potential to not require further treatment.

What I'm planning to do with the next Synergy horn is use constrained layer damping. This means two layers with a glue that provides some damping. Worth considering.

Also worth considering for curved sections is layers of 3mm MDF, built up in layers. MDF is not as strong or light as ply, but it's actually better damped and much cheaper. If you don't need to bend it too much, then it could work ... *looking back at first pics* ... actually it won't do most of your curves, scratch that!

Have quote from M&B supplies in Bayswater, WA.

2400x1200mm piece

5mm thick flexiply - $84

7mm thick flexiply - $95

Must choose from cross grain or long grain.. but undecided which would best suit! Hrmm decisions decisions :confused:

Cheers for advice. Crossgrain (short grain) seems like the best choice for the pieces required to be cut out.

Reason to use 5mm over 7mm? I was thinking the thicker the better?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Jasper,

Jo's saba front horn project is pretty cool. Did read about it on LH.

The WE15a are pretty darn big and kind of scary looking too! Although admit my temptation for a pair has sort-of dropped, as advised if they are not paired with suitable drivers(ie. WE555 $$$$) which can play down to ~80hz, no point going for a unit that big! Does make sense now I think about it.

The Sato's horn can load down to ~150hz which the Goto 505s can support. Probably try a 300hz first order (6db) cutoff and see how we go :)

All fun!

• Like 1