The Power Line Conditioner Thread

• Replies 882
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Sime said:

I've been here for awhile, and it's the first time I've seen it mentioned, not saying it hasn't.  

no shame in not having heard of some niche audio power product that doesn't even have a stiff, let alone legal, presence locally.

and apparently their HQ office isn't even identifiable easily :P  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sime said:

I've been here for awhile, and it's the first time I've seen it mentioned, not saying it hasn't.  

There have been several mentions including at least one for sale.  They don't come up for sale often as it is probable that the people who have one appreciate what they have and do not consider selling. I consider that my purchase was the best value for money system outcome contribution that I have made for a long time.

John

There have been several mentions including at least one for sale.  They don't come up for sale often as it is probable that the people who have one appreciate what they have and do not consider selling. I consider that my purchase was the best value for money system outcome contribution that I have made for a long time.
John

Where did you buy your Gigawatt? My friend knows a guy can get really good price.

Just now, everydayIs25 said:

Where did you buy your Gigawatt? My friend knows a guy can get really good price.

Ken,

As I have said to you in posts to you I am be pleased to talk to you about where I bought mine.   My intention in contacting you was that I may have been able to organise an in house audition for you  I do know that my source sold the last two in stock units last week and that now there is no more stock in Australia except what might be in other shops.  As the shop has sold all the stock there cannot be an audition until new stock arrives in Australia.   If your friend can get one now at what you consider a good price I suggest you go for It. 

John

Ken,
As I have said to you in posts to you I am be pleased to talk to you about where I bought mine.   My intention in contacting you was that I may have been able to organise an in house audition for you  I do know that my source sold the last two in stock units last week and that now there is no more stock in Australia except what might be in other shops.  As the shop has sold all the stock there cannot be an audition until new stock arrives in Australia.   If your friend can get one now at what you consider a good price I suggest you go for It. 
John

Lol, even the discounted price he get is still too expensive and without a in house demo it's very hard to make a decision.

Are you a seller?

I live in Brisbane QLD 

We get a few storms and the power is mostly stable 

Last year I had a power issue that needed an electrician & while he was here I asked him to check the voltage on my wall outlet 

Both he and I was surprised at the reading of 259 Volts 

When a Thor PS10 was offered for sale in the classifieds I pupchased it for power level stability at a constant 240 Volts and storm protection 

The PS10 is a good unit that shows you the power entry Volts in real time and it's in constant up and down motion, the exit Volts are steady on 240 Volts 

Sound wise I haven't noticed any difference 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sime said:

Wow, the PC-4 evo is rather a handsome machine. 

Yes does look good but it would be nice if they included the DC blocker as well standard instead as an optional extra.

Wonder what that is worth?

Seems truly highend, also with the price to match.

Edited by rocky500

17 hours ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Well, not quite. A regenerator reconstructs the mains. As a consequence, it has almost perfect isolation from the mains supply. It may also employ extra filtering as part of it's construction. A filter may also provide mains isolation, though this would be restricted to quite expensive filters. 

@Zaphod Beeblebrox  Trevor,

Conditioners, Regenerators etc all do something different to the power. 

As an aside I also use one of these

http://recordclean.com.au/telos-quantum-noise-resonator.html

I do not know really what it does but the blue light definitely gets excited when a hair dryer is going in the house or my hot water heat pump is working.

When I have heard  regenerators (not in system) I assumed that something was happening but the sound may have been cleaner but it was dry and not emotional.  To me the regenerators take something out of the sound that importantly should be there.  When I heard the Gigawatt the sound was alive, there was emotion and there was “light.  As WhakPak says ambience.  I was more engaged.

Nope, it wasn't. I've never heard the Devialet with any kind of filtering or isolation. The manufacturer specifies that such things are unnecessary. From a purely theoretical POV, I can understand why the manufacturer takes that view. The Devialet, in common with most SMPS offers internal regulation, thus negating the need for a regenerator and filtering.

The Devialet is a compact unit and maybe they have achieved something special with the SMPS.  They probably use SMPS because of space constraints.  Nevertheless my understanding is that in most high end equipment the preference is for LPS space permitting.  It would be interesting to hear the Devialet with a conditioner such as a Gigawatt.

I have responded to a great many posts in this thread. I apologise for missing yours. My comments remain. Good quality, well designed equipment does not require external filtering.

Does the mention of external filtering also mean conditioning?  It may be reasonable to say that there is not a requirement for external filtering, however it is not reasonable to suggest that there would not be benefit.  The question is the extent of the benefit.  Its a bit like needs versus wants

OK. So, you are comfortable that the Australian will honour any claims for damaged attached equipment to the value of EUR250,000.00? I would like to see the details of the policy. Presumably, you have a copy?  

I am not particularly fussed about the matter of protection.  I have been looked after properly in the one incident that I have had that may have involved a power surge.  To me it was all about what the Gigawatt did for the sound output of my system.  Fundamentally that is what it is all about for me

No, I have not tried a Gigawatt. I have tried A LOT of regenerators and filters. 

I would be pleased to see your comments if you ever get to try one.  As I have said you may be pleasantly surprised.  It was said in another post that at the recent Munich show that Gigawatt inits were quite prevalent.  I am told by somebody who went to the show that Gigawatt outnumbered the other similar devices on many of the stands.  Some people know something good when they see it or as this case when they hear it

The only reason why I have had time to do the above is because It is very cold, wet and miserable where I am.  It may even snow.  I should be out side

John

1 hour ago, everydayIs25 said:

Lol, even the discounted price he get is still too expensive and without a in house demo it's very hard to make a decision.

Are you a seller?

HI Ken,

As I have previously said privately to you I am definitely not a seller.   I cannot organise an audition now as there the place where I bought mine sold out late last week.

One thing I have discovered in Audio and it is probably the same in any other hobby go for absolute limit that you can afford.  You will ultimately be rewarded.  As your Devialet is a quality product it deserves the best.  Your system will only perform to the level of and be constrained by the weakest link in the chain.

John

2 minutes ago, Assisi said:

I would be pleased to see your comments if you ever get to try one.  As I have said you may be pleasantly surprised.  It was said in another post that at the recent Munich show that Gigawatt inits were quite prevalent.  I am told by somebody who went to the show that Gigawatt outnumbered the other similar devices on many of the stands.  Some people know something good when they see it or as this case when they hear it

I am a veteran of more than 2 dozen hi fi shows, here and in the US in a professional, exhibitor, context. I can tell you a dirty little secret or two about hi fi shows:

* The power is terrible. Really terrible. Particularly in the US. We found that we could not operate the flagship amp at 100 Watts Class A, because the mains supply fell from 117VAC to around 95 Volts when the amp was switched to 100 Watts Class A. Hopeless. Domestic power is much, much better.

* At hi fi shows, some smart manufacturers offer exhibitors lots of different things for them to use, free of charge. Even better, if those exhibitors can put the product on display. That way, the company can display their product in 20 rooms, not just one. No one loses. I have no interest in how many exhibitors use such a product under such conditions, because I know how the system operates.  

* No one SERIOUSLY judges equipment at hi fi shows.  

• Like 3

I am a veteran of more than 2 dozen hi fi shows, here and in the US in a professional, exhibitor, context. I can tell you a dirty little secret or two about hi fi shows:

* The power is terrible. Really terrible. Particularly in the US. We found that we could not operate the flagship amp at 100 Watts Class A, because the mains supply fell from 117VAC to around 95 Volts when the amp was switched to 100 Watts Class A. Hopeless. Domestic power is much, much better.
* At hi fi shows, some smart manufacturers offer exhibitors lots of different things for them to use, free of charge. Even better, if those exhibitors can put the product on display. That way, the company can display their product in 20 rooms, not just one. No one loses. I have no interest in how many exhibitors use such a product under such conditions, because I know how the system operates.  
* No one SERIOUSLY judges equipment at hi fi shows.  

WOW!!!!! That is mind blowing!!!!

I think in many industries there are always some business men try very hard to marketing stuffs without some basic moral.

Guest Sime

Yes, if I owned a power conditioning company, I'd be doing my up most best at hifi shows……………………

6 minutes ago, Sime said:

Yes, if I owned a power conditioning company, I'd be doing my up most best at hifi shows……………………

And make sure you operate out of your residential address to keep the costs down. After all you spend so much money on promotion and, ahem, the product.

• Like 1

On 7/2/2017 at 3:27 PM, Assisi said:

@crisis The same could be said in respect of what I consider to be reasonably low quality feet on many high end amps etc. Felt pads that fall out for example  Put a  $500 or so worth of good quality isolation under such a box and there can be definite improvement in the sound  Everything is built to a price and has to fit its place in its particular market niche.  But I digress. This a topic for another thread.

John

My point is why don't equipment manufacturers sell Power Conditoners?
The are a license to print money and people obviously pay big money for them. If they were remotely effective then it seems strange the majority of component manufacturers don't offer them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, crisis said:

The are a license to print money and people obviously pay big money for them. If they were remotely effective then it seems strange the majority of component manufacturers don't offer them.

It actually could be as simple as most reputable manufacturers  not being convinced that in most equipment, most of the time, they provide any benefit.

It is often under stated, but many ( or most ) well known audio manufacturers don't and won't deal in fringe appeal products

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, crisis said:

why is it a license to print money,

Looks no different than any other component.

Lets say a amp with the same value. I don't think there any different and their costs to make could be similar.

Some cables on the other hand ;)

Edited by rocky500