Overrated Underrated

This might be interesting, name an overrated artist/band, but then name an underrated artist/band which is of the same ilk, or is somehow related It's not a case of "this band is better than that band", but more of "these guys dont get the recognition they deserve"

for example

Overrated: The Beatles

Underrated: The Pretty Things

and

Overrated: Pearl Jam

Underrated: Mudhoney

Edited by caddisgeek1
  • Like 1

Well, here's an odd one I never thought I'd be pushing - it's not a band as such though. Kylie Monogue's studio CD's are way, way overrated. Her live performances are way, way underrated. If you think that's a large claim have a look at the DVD of her Sydney concert titled. 'On A Night Like This' ( sometimes titled as "Live In Sydney'). The band put together for that tour, the back up singers and Ms K herself give an astonishing performance. I'd always put Kylie Monogue at the bottom of the bubble gum pop trash category. One night at a friends I was forced into watching this concert and have been utterly spellbound by it ever since. OK, there are one or two songs that don't work. If you get hold of the DVD start with track 16, her version of "Let's Get Physical'. I defy anyone to not be moved by it - it's almost enough to turn me hetro. Still can't abide her CD's though - they're like Madonna's equally plastic efforts.

Overrated amongst vintage artists ( is that the right term?)

Queen

ELO

Elton John

Talking Heads

Underrated

Supertramp

J J Cale.

Fleetwood Mac

Edited by Dismord

Ok I'll play

Over:

Tool, Burial, Miles Davis, Neil Young

Note - I like these artists but they are well over rated

Under:

Zomby, Marc Ribot, The Czars, Fever Tree

Lol, of course these are your opinions and I respect that, but calling someone like Miles Davis over rated is going too far. He is one of 2 or 3 of the greatest jazz musicians going.

He essentially invented cool and modal jazz, he was one of the prime developers of hard bop, and he unleashed fusion upon the world. And then there's that fluid,sparse,incredibly romantic trumpet style: nothing quite like it on earth.

I don't like the Beatles much.... but would never call them over rated.

Edited by soundfan
  • Like 1

What a great topic.

Over rated:

Neil Young

Adele,

El Camino

David Bowie

Radiohead

PJ Harvey

Katie Melua

Bon Iver

Bruce Springsteen

Lady Antebellum

The [ modern day ] Rolling Stones....they should have quit gracefully about 10 years ago.

Rhianna

Tori Amos

There are many more in either category, but I don't want to bore you into a slumber

Under rated:

Trampled Under Foot

Dave Alvin

Babe Ruth

Tommy Emmanuel

The Beatles [ this is a retort to another post ] :)

Edited by rantan

Lol, of course these are your opinions and I respect that, but calling someone like Miles Davis over rated is going too far. He is one of 2 or 3 of the greatest jazz musicians going.

He essentially invented cool and modal jazz, he was one of the prime developers of hard bop, and he unleashed fusion upon the world. And then there's that fluid,sparse,incredibly romantic trumpet style: nothing quite like it on earth.

I don't like the Beatles much.... but would never call them over rated.

Muh ha ha ha

Over: Miles Davis - On the Corner

Under: Herbie Hancock Thrust

Over: John Coltrane

Under: Eric Dolphy

Guest dingo

Overrated- INTERPOL

Underrated- KITCHENS OF DISTINCTION.

Overrated- just about any keyboard based singer/songwriter of past two years.

Underrated- JOHN GRANT

Overrated- DELTA GOODREM

Underrated - ROBYNE DUNN.

• Like 1

Sorry guys, but saying Miles Davis is overrated is like calling bacon overrated.

Some things in life you can never get enough of.....Miles and Bacon are two.....IMHO of course.

Edited by Zammo
  • Like 1

Sorry guys, but saying Miles Davis is overrated is like calling bacon overrated.

Some things in life you can never get enough of.....Miles and Bacon are two.....IMHO of course.

Two things.

1. Bacon is over-rated

2. A modicum of both are sufficient for my happiness.

• Like 1

O.k. Houdinifangs. I'll raise you.

Over: Parma Ham

Under: Jamon Iberico pata negra.

How can Jamon from the black pig be under rated? It is well regarded as the finest of all Spanish cured hams.

Over - Yes

Under - Midlake

+ Fudge Tunnel under

How bout this on a similar theme:

Over: Butch Vig

Under: Steve Albini (although he seems to have enough tickets on himself to cope)

LOL, as Bhobba would say, "abso-friggen-lutely". I don't think Butch goes out in the wind much either :cool:

Over - Tool

Under - The Young Gods

How can Jamon from the black pig be under rated? It is well regarded as the finest of all Spanish cured hams.

Over - Yes

Under - Midlake

Yes, it's well rated by those in the know, but I've spent too much time off topic. So here.

Over: Diana Krall

Under: Youn Sun Nah