JBL Owners & Discussion Thread

Yes and the TADs are made by Pioneer but the perception of quality as well as the real quality is quite different.

As is Esoteric and TEAC.

So why isn't the manufacturers name used instead of some fancy one that the manufacture choose any way......and then wants you to know this!!!

Everyone Knows a Lexus is a Toyota......We all know TAD is Pioneer......Esoteric is Teac..

Tase.

The reason for JBL's decline in reputation can be traced back to two words, Syd Harmon.

His greed destroyed the engineering reputation of the company in what can only be described as "a death by 1000 cuts".

Step one was kind of small, in the old days the people who wound the voice coils would hand over to the Metrology Department who would precisely measure the diameter of each individual voice coil marking each one with the exact diameter, the guys who machined the pole pieces would go through the same process, each one measured exactly and marked. This allows the people assembling the motor system to individually match the right voice coil to the right magnet assembly with absolute precision. Then somebody in the accounts department had the bright idea of cutting the cost of this time-consuming process by introducing some "new technology". Rather than fitting an individual voice coil to a specific motor system, why not put the voice coil on expanding aluminium mandrel and stretching it to suit whatever motor might be to hand. Huge cost saving versus a "slight" reduction in performance.

Step two was when somebody in the accounts department had the bright idea of replacing the Alnico V magnet with ceramic ferrite magnets which were "almost as good, but way cheaper". Again, a "slight" reduction in performance but a big increase in gross profit.

Shortly after this, the ownership of JBL changed hands on almost weekly basis, as Syd sold the company to anybody who could pony up his asking price. Then he would wait until the new owners monumentally f**cked up at which point he would buy the company back from them at cents on the dollar below the original acquisition price, then wait for the next poor schmuck to come along and then repeat the process ad infintum.

At one point, things had reached the stage where the only thing coming out of Northridge were the labels applied to the back of the now Japanese Built Loudspeakers which carried the words "Printed in the USA".

Then came the infamous Radiance series, which featured all low-grade chipboard enclosures and the first of the deeply sh*tfull polypropylene bass drivers.Again, only a "marginal" reduction in performance for a large reduction in manufacturing cost and a commensurate increase in gross profit.

At the time, Penny Lane did an ad in the Green Guide featuring the new JBL loudspeaker range "Now Featuring Washable Bass".

A couple of years later, I was having dinner with Steen Sloth, the then CEO of Scan Speak, when I asked the question "Listen Steen, you know that I know that polypropylene bass drivers sound sh*thouse. And I know that you know that polypropylene bass drivers sound sh*thouse, so why do you make them? His reply "Because Americans like to buy them".

By this time, the only JBL speaker systems of any real worth were being manufactured in Scandinavia, solely for the Scandinavian market, who refused to buy the mainstream JBL product.

I hope this goes somewhere towards explaining why the JBL brand(at least IM(NR)HO currently lacks credibility.

Steve

Edited by Number 9
  • Like 2

Guest Karl Rand

The reason for JBL's decline in reputation can be traced back to two words, Syd Harmon.

His greed destroyed the engineering reputation of the company in what can only be described as "a death by 1000 cuts".,   ,   ,   ,   ,,  , , , , ,   ,,  ,,  ,,,  ,,  ,,,  ,,   ,,, , , , ,,,      ,   ,

.  .  . 

I hope this goes somewhere towards explaining why the JBL brand(at least IM(NR)HO currently lacks credibility.

Steve

Fascinating history - thanks Steve. I wish we could read a similar exposure of a number of other companies who destroyed their own reputation then arose from the ashes again. Luxman and Marantz come to mind.

Who owns JBL now? Might be a good to time to buy shares if it's public.

Edited by Karl Rand

Fascinating history - thanks Steve. I wish we could read a similar exposure of a number of other companies who destroyed their own reputation then arose from the ashes again. Luxman and Marantz come to mind.

Who owns JBL now? Might be a good to time to buy shares if it's public.

Hey karl.

Your post pre-supposes that JBL have in fact "risen from the ashes", I'm not that optimistic.

As to the other brands you listed , I've got thirty plus years of dirt on file on all of them. Stay Tuned.

Edited by Number 9

Lexus = Toyota for me.

Yes but that's not my point. Ask a Lexus owner which car they drive and they won't answer "Toyota" (even though we both know who makes it). Similarly you didn't introduce your new TAD speakers by saying you'd bought some "Pioneers" as there's justified cachet in the former.

Anyone interested in JBL background information might like to have a look around the Lansing Heritage website or if really interested spend a few dollars on John Eargles  "The JBL Story."

Cheers Mike

I am interested, but first I would like to know if it full of 'dirt files', which is more likely to depress me than provide any reading enjoyment. I don't need that style.

The Lansing Heritage website is a treasure, I do enjoy it.

I am interested, but first I would like to know if it full of 'dirt files', which is more likely to depress me than provide any reading enjoyment.

I don't think you would be disappointed in the book. Certainly no dirt files, just a somewhat dry but appeciative look at the history of JBL and a reminder of the contributions of some of the great engineers who worked there.

Just had a look its now available as a Kindle edition for around $ 17

Cheers Mike

• Like 1

Anyone interested in JBL background information might like to have a look around the Lansing Heritage website or if really interested spend a few dollars on John Eargles  "The JBL Story."

Cheers Mike

I have that book, very nice, but not as informative as the heritage website.

I had always thought of JBL as brash and loud - probably due to the British sound being in vogue when I got into audio.

A few years ago, I wanted to build my own loudspeakers, and wanted a high efficiency bass driver. I took a punt on a Wolf Von Langa 15" field coil - 150WVL, which is a rebuilt JBL K145, with the alnico magnet replace by the electromagnetic motor. The K145 was a professional music bass (bass guitar/organ) driver, and was the predecessor of the E145, used in the original Everest.

I have to say that I was not disappointed. It doesn't do the lowest bass, but it really punches, and had the most gorgeous rich tone.

I heard Bryan's (LPG) horn speakers on a number of occasions, and thought the JBL berylium midrange was wonderful. Would love to hear some of the upper end JBLs like the recent K2 and Everest.

I use an old set of JBL L86s as the L/R front speakers in my surround setup.  Great with movies, surprisingly nice on 2 channel music.

Had a pair of HUGE JBL monitors on loan from a mate many (many) years ago while he was overseas for a year, I forget which model.  They were tight, authoritative, easy to drive and remarkably insensitive to room positioning.  A joy to use.

Yes, all the history aside, as I have said here and in other posts, I saw some S4700's in an ad once, went and listened to some and went very close to paying $15k for a pair of the big muthas. Maybe a good thing I wasn't at all affected by the history as I simply had no knowledge of it. ;)

Edited by Darren69
  • Like 1

Hi Calis,

I bought a pair of JBL's in about 1985 had them for about 15 years, awesome speakers. That being said, I have not heard the latest series.  As a general rule I highly recommend that you listen to them prior to forking out any money. I find that the sound emanating from speakers is very subjective to ones ear. Good luck

Kind regards

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A true knowledgeable JBL speaker player who does his homework and most importantly who knows how to listen will never consider any models from the Studio Monitor Professional series or the latest series. The JBL Signature Series is the one and only choice, with the best ever materials ever used to manufacture it.

I haven't but they look awesome, would be worth a trip to a dealer that has demo's methinks Tase.

They look like a little bro to the S4700's I had a listen to up at Trimira in Brissy. They were great.