Harbeth Owners & Discussion Thread

No worry on the amp. Your marantz can drive the SHL5 with ease. I was Marantz pm17mkIIKI(60w) user too before LFD. I still have a Marantz pm66KI can drive my C7 with ease as well.

Hi All, I currently use Marantz KI Pearl amp (90w) / sacd player with Proac speakers. I would like to upgrade my speakers to SHL5 but am worried the Marantz amp would not be able to drive the SHL5. Would appreciate comments from current/previous Marantz amp users. Many thanks!

If I'm not wrong, there is no such things as hifi-grade plastic pellets, only LDPE or HDPE (low density or high density) and re-cycled or non-recycled. Only problem is which company sells them on small scale like below 10kg. Any idea anyone?

By the way, how much is Jimmy selling these plastic pellets?

Thanks.

Source for open frame stand.

Harbeth speakers are off thin-wall cabinet design, using regular 4 pillar stand with sand-filled, will not be at its best.  More importantly, give them space.

Cheers

thanks for your input  :)

I think a 90 watter can drive the SHL5 quite decently bro.

No worry on the amp. Your marantz can drive the SHL5 with ease. I was Marantz pm17mkIIKI(60w) user too before LFD. I still have a Marantz pm66KI can drive my C7 with ease as well.

Brother SHL5 -  Can you play Maurice Ravel Spanish dance "Bolero"? I have a old school mate who is very good in percussion. He coached percussion lesson to many schools and  we call him Lo kor Seng. (Drummy Seng in Hokkien)  He can remember the rymthmic pattern of Bolero, very interesting. 

Talking about percussion, Decca recording has one of the most transparent Timpani timbre, Tchaikovsky's  "Romeo and Juliet" come alive.

Bro, buay sai liao la. Haven't been playing drums since i left school & that was how many donkey years ago. However, i've always been in awe of 2 drummers. They are the late Carlos Vega & Jeff Porcaro from 80s to 90s. 2 great drummers from that era who passed on way too soon.

Hi All, I currently use Marantz KI Pearl amp (90w) / sacd player with Proac speakers. I would like to upgrade my speakers to SHL5 but am worried the Marantz amp would not be able to drive the SHL5. Would appreciate comments from current/previous Marantz amp users. Many thanks!

Hi Altis, your Marantz will be more than sufficient to drive the SHL-5. However, as you are coming over from Proac, do take note that the difference between the 2 marques cannot be emphasised enough. Do make sure that your ears are fully acclimatised to the Harbeth sound before putting your $$ down or making any justifiable sonic accessment. One more thing, if your musical taste veers towards pop or heavy metal or rock, then i'd suggest you stick to your Proac. Much as some bros here have professed that their Harbeths can do rock & yes they do rock pretty well when appropriately driven & set up, but you really have to know that most BBC monitors were developed primarily for accurate speech playback during the pre pop era. And Harbeths are designed along that line that's why they sound so divine & natural on vocals & classical music. Just don't expect a Harbeth to rock like a JBL or 1st generation Linn Kans or Naim SBLs.

Hi Altis, your Marantz will be more than sufficient to drive the SHL-5. However, as you are coming over from Proac, do take note that the difference between the 2 marques cannot be emphasised enough. Do make sure that your ears are fully acclimatised to the Harbeth sound before putting your $$ down or making any justifiable sonic accessment. One more thing, if your musical taste veers towards pop or heavy metal or rock, then i'd suggest you stick to your Proac. Much as some bros here have professed that their Harbeths can do rock & yes they do rock pretty well when appropriately driven & set up, but you really have to know that most BBC monitors were developed primarily for accurate speech playback during the pre pop era. And Harbeths are designed along that line that's why they sound so divine & natural on vocals & classical music. Just don't expect a Harbeth to rock like a JBL or 1st generation Linn Kans or Naim SBLs.

Setting up is tricky with Harbeth, they are not the easiest speakers to position.  Easily screw up, when not given ample room.  Many claimed good sound but i hear muddled midband and boomy bass at moderate volume.  Do spend some time moving them about, you'll get great result at zero cost.

Just don't expect a Harbeth to rock like a JBL or 1st generation Linn Kans or Naim SBLs.

Bro, I have had the JBJ 4410 and I did an AB with the HL5s and seriously, the HL5s' rock performance was very close to them! In the end, I decided tat the Harbeths was more than good enough for my kind of music and sold off the JBLs. Or my YBA not enough juice to bring out the demon in the 4410s? 

Bro, I have had the JBJ 4410 and I did an AB with the HL5s and seriously, the HL5s' rock performance was very close to them! In the end, I decided tat the Harbeths was more than good enough for my kind of music and sold off the JBLs. Or my YBA not enough juice to bring out the demon in the 4410s?

When u told me your HL5 can rock I was like "eh choon bo". Until I heard it myself .  ;D

Hi keithwwk,

I am also a big fan of the recordings made by Kenneth Wilkinson.  I personally think his recordings are some of the best in the classical world regardless of age.  Recently, while surfing the web, I came across the website allmusic.com which, among other things it does, lists the credits of recordings.  Do a search under "Kenneth Wilkinson" and you will have a very comprehensive list of recordings done by him.

While the DECCA reissues (various incarnations over the years but the "Legends" series particularly stood out) already sound good sonically, I have had the chance in the past 2 years to purchase some FIM/LIM remasters of some titles and their superiority in sound was very obvious on an A/B comparison.  The "Romantic Russia" album (available under the DECCA "Legends" series and also available under FIM/LIM in a K2HD version) would illuminate this point.

Anyway, this is a Harbeth thread and I do not want to hijack it any further.  I intend to start a classical music lovers thread over the the Planet Music forum to discuss and share the love of classical music locally.  All levels of participation is encouraged.

PS: just to add, you like Decca, do you like their enginner Kenneth wilkinson? Almost all his recording sound very good. He got plenty of works with Decca, some RCA and Chesky label.

I would like to upgrade my speakers to SHL5

Good idea to switch to Harbeth. Used to own Proac Response 1SC and never regret selling them after comparing to Harbeth.  Proac sound cleaner, have good voice and more agile, also can project a good imaging effect, difficult to fault them at their price...... However still find them slightly thin sounding(even with tubes), and their lower mid range not as rich as Harbeth. 

Bro, try pairing the 4410 with any olive Naims & CRANK the vol way up high & see wat happens...at moderate vol of course not much difference dah.....i m talking abt real LOUD dah.....the 4410 can cruise at levels where others would have collapsed dah.

Hi keithwwk,

I am also a big fan of the recordings made by Kenneth Wilkinson.  I personally think his recordings are some of the best in the classical world regardless of age.  Recently, while surfing the web, I came across the website allmusic.com which, among other things it does, lists the credits of recordings.  Do a search under "Kenneth Wilkinson" and you will have a very comprehensive list of recordings done by him.

While the DECCA reissues (various incarnations over the years but the "Legends" series particularly stood out) already sound good sonically, I have had the chance in the past 2 years to purchase some FIM/LIM remasters of some titles and their superiority in sound was very obvious on an A/B comparison.  The "Romantic Russia" album (available under the DECCA "Legends" series and also available under FIM/LIM in a K2HD version) would illuminate this point.

Anyway, this is a Harbeth thread and I do not want to hijack it any further.  I intend to start a classical music lovers thread over the the Planet Music forum to discuss and share the love of classical music locally.  All levels of participation is encouraged.

Hi MyView,

I think I read your post before.

I agree with you on the FIM/LIM remaster. I only have Solti/LSO decca Legends Romantic Russia, so can not compare it. But it is a very good recording. However, I have Herold Lancherry La Fille Mal Gardee in normal CD, XRCD 24 and LP, the XRCD 24 sound better (Not by Wilkinson). I guess the remaster goal is difference between original and the audiophile guy in FIM/LIM. Decca may like to preserve the original sound as close to the orignal master made by producer/recording engineer while audiophile guy tend to push the overall sonic to their own "hifi" perception. The biggest different between the decca and FIM/LIM is sound level. FIM/LIM sound louder in general in same volume setting. Whatever it is, the one sound better to ear is the better one to choose.

Bro, try pairing the 4410 with any olive Naims & CRANK the vol way up high & see wat happens...at moderate vol of course not much difference dah.....i m talking abt real LOUD dah.....the 4410 can cruise at levels where others would have collapsed dah.

Bro, wat made u think I listened at moderate levels? The type of music I usually play, I might as well give up hifi if I can only play at moderate levels ;D Anyway, I am now enjoying my music way too much to wanna experiment with other stuff. Now counting the hours to my Harbeth time, 5 more hours,  wahoohoo!  ;D

guys thanks for your input!

Good idea to switch to Harbeth. Used to own Proac Response 1SC and never regret selling them after comparing to Harbeth.  Proac sound cleaner, have good voice and more agile, also can project a good imaging effect, difficult to fault them at their price...... However still find them slightly thin sounding(even with tubes), and their lower mid range not as rich as Harbeth.

Bro, wat made u think I listened at moderate levels? The type of music I usually play, I might as well give up hifi if I can only play at moderate levels ;D Anyway, I am now enjoying my music way too much to wanna experiment with other stuff. Now counting the hours to my Harbeth time, 5 more hours,  wahoohoo!  ;D

Hahaha.....i m also always counting down to go home....btw bro, your good friend suntan is back.

• 1 month later...

Had the pleasure of listening to a pair of Harbeth SHL5 with my (no longer mine) Leben CS600 amplifier.

I was stunned and now understand what the fuss is all about. I will be saving my Shekels for a pair when I set up a 2nd system.

What a shame no one distributes these locally as of they did I am sure that would sell big time over here.

• Like 4

I heard them years ago if I recall correctly at Reg Mills Audio here in Brisbane - they had them then. What I suspect is its simply the overall decline in interest in audiophile stuff. Of course the Leben Harbeth combination is well known to be special.

Thanks

Bill

Harbeth sell direct to Oz, which probably works out cheaper. They come up 2nd hand every now and again. Audiobugged just sold an anniversary rosewood pair, as they didn't work in his room (too big I think).

I'd love to have a listen to some other models both bigger and smaller than my SHL5's

Edited by Marine

Having the SLH5s, Leben CS600 and a Weiss DAC 202 I can confirm my box swapping days are over :thumb:

As for not having a dealer here in Australia I can sympathise however the deal you will get from Andy at Harbeth buying direct might just surprise you.

You'll also avoid the wait that people in Singapore have to endure which can run to 12 months when buying through an agent.

Oh Wilco, those KT120s are really starting to come on song despite the recent concerns raised by George.

• Like 2