Shoot out - Over 1K bookshelf speakers/analog vs digital presentation

Guest francis woo

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys can we keep this in line with the orignal topic and discussion.

We are not here to compete nor to bash one another on which speaker is the best etc. Everyone has its individual taste of sound.

One Mans Meat is another Mans Poison.

Tks Koma.  One more wud suffice, I think!!  Anybody has a B&W or Wharfedale to offer??......... ;)

The new B&W 685 would be perfect. Think there are alot of people waiting to hear them too.

One thing though, it will be for speakers under 1K.  Synthesis has kindly offered his DIY lower end bookself, ALR Jordan from Pcking, the Ursher 520 from a newbie, perhaps the JMLab from Quest,  my own Aurum Cantus Leisure 2 and other contributors.

Hi francis, I'll contribute my JMLab gladly if I can make it. :) I will be flying to London/Croatia 4th April so I might be abit tied up towards end of the month. Hope to make it this time. Quite sad I didn't make it for the past shootout as its more to my interest.

Hi francis, I'll contribute my JMLab gladly if I can make it. :) I will be flying to London/Croatia 4th April so I might be abit tied up towards end of the month. Hope to make it this time. Quite sad I didn't make it for the past shootout as its more to my interest.

Francis i can bring along my Mini's if you want but it will not fall under the 1K catergory though.

Guest francis woo

Better to stick to below 1K speakers to avoid unfair competition barbs.

BTW, got a Marigo Signature which I just brought back for one of the forumers here but cud not recall or trace who.  Whoever that person is, pls pm me....tks

When's the next shoot out?  Good question.  I reckon towards the end of the month when, hopefully, I can bring in the Jas Audio Array 2.1, a beefier Integrated to give the rest of the system more power and control.  One thing though, it will be for speakers under 1K.  Synthesis has kindly offered his DIY lower end bookself, ALR Jordan from Pcking, the Ursher 520 from a newbie, perhaps the JMLab from Quest,  my own Aurum Cantus Leisure 2 and other contributors.

The Jas Audio Array 2.1 was bought by the other customer when we were there. He was so convinced by our discussion and conversation that he bought it. According to Simon, he was a little worried that we might be strike before him.  ;D The amp was gone when we went back on Sunday.

Guest francis woo

Bros, pls go to the new thread shoot out for under 1K speakers and put yr comments there.

Pigscanfly........I know.  I was there on Saturday afternoon before I left for the Airport.  The Jas Audio Array 2.1 is selling very well and is on back order.

Pigscanfly........I know.  I was there on Saturday afternoon before I left for the Airport.  The Jas Audio Array 2.1 is selling very well and is on back order.

Quick, place your order!! Hahaha... I like the milk bottles... It's really too heavy to carry them around.

enjoy reading all the reviews.

curious about why GS 10 is not up to the mark. Had heard previous model GR 10. impression was ok.

unless pete's pair has some flaw or manufacturing deviation with the tweeter.

some speakers need more time.

try run in with higher volume for few more months. as soon as the high start to make sense and integrate with the mid. the speaker will begin to show its potential.

by that time, bring the GS 10 to another shootout and tell us how it fare.

<flushed>

try run in with higher volume for few more months. as soon as the high start to make sense and integrate with the mid. the speaker will begin to show its potential.

Something wrong here, if speakers need several months or even 1 year to run in and at higher volume, I would stay clear of such speakers. Why torture your ears for months, when there are better choices of speakers out there that do not need months or years to run in. And we are talking about affordable range of speakers, not Wilson Watt, Kharma etc speakers which may need such treatment. Any such treatment should be run in at the manufacturer side  ;D

Cheers bro

The point was not to get my GS 10 to "win" the other speakers

Although the speakers are new, I know it sounded better at home and I have no sour grapes. The MAs take a long time to run in, like the Dynaudios which can take weeks to months.

I have yet to sit down and pen my thoughts on the speakers, but the 'air' that the ProArc clones and the Dynaudios offered was great. Being the cheapest pair on display that day and knowing that they can do well with the right partners was enough for me.

In fact I was the first to criticise my own speakers so that others can do so without feeling they will insult me. It was all friends on that day and I learnt a lot from the rest and made lots of new friends too.

The GS 10s represent a fine compromise of audio and HT in a same package suited to my modest room, and with a suitable amp and other trappings perform well enough. Any potential MA buyers should take note and as I have previously repeated on my MA thread, need to listen to their tweeters and decide if this sound is too bright for them.

Actually when a few bros visited me, none of them said it was bright! And they were old hands at this audio business too. So I put it down to the relevant partnering equipment.

I also used the GR10 with a MF amp before and that was super (wrote about it in my MA thread). So I am familar with their sound too.

Cheers

enjoy reading all the reviews.

curious about why GS 10 is not up to the mark. Had heard previous model GR 10. impression was ok.

unless pete's pair has some flaw or manufacturing deviation with the tweeter.

some speakers need more time.

Actually when a few bros visited me, none of them said it was bright! And they were old hands at this audio business too. So I put it down to the relevant partnering equipment.

When we visit friends place for auditioning, we will never say how lousy their new equipment sound like. May be end of friendship  ;D. Please take such feelings into consideration, best is to listen to other people's tokong systems and you will know how bad your equipment sound like  ;)

A newbie should buy a pair of speakers that is not fussy about matching equipment or cables. Doing otherwise is asking for a lot of band-aids and antidotes down the road, things which would have been easily avoided given the correct advice. ;)

Well, yes, I think most people are generally polite when visiting others. Basic courtesy. But it should not stop them from making harsh observations if there is a severe fault. Anyway, I have visited pete's place and his speakers are far less bright than mine, so yah. To each his own. :)

I have yet to sit down and pen my thoughts on the speakers, but the 'air' that the ProArc clones and the Dynaudios offered was great.

That's not surprising at all!  Dynaudio's esotec/esotar as well as SS 9x00/revelator tweeters were/are commonly found in highend stuff!!  Vifa's ring radiator @ around $180/pr can be found in quite a few >$2k spkrs.  IIRC, Synthesis' 9700 costs more than $500/pr so go figure how much the commercial spkr will cost if they use them! ;D

That's not surprising at all!  Dynaudio's esotec/esotar as well as SS 9x00/revelator tweeters were/are commonly found in highend stuff!!  Vifa's ring radiator @ around $180/pr can be found in quite a few >$2k spkrs.  IIRC, Synthesis' 9700 costs more than $500/pr so go figure how much the commercial spkr will cost if they use them! ;D

For starters can start with this.

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=35_39&products_id=407

Later upgrade to exotic stuff like proaudio drivers, TAD, Goto, Altec, PHY, horns/AMT/plasma tweeters even.  ;D

Good drivers are key. Followed by cabinet. Ask Ah Lim to do up marine plywood box, sure better than MDF.

The esotec/esotar are good.... but only comes with the Contour and above models, (Confidence, Evidence etc.. BM5 & 6 too).. Audience series, though a well balanced, nice sounding speaker with good bass, lack s in this department.  In a serious audition, most people would be able to tell the added refinement and 'air' that a contour can give compared to audience  :)