Shoot out - Over 1K bookshelf speakers/analog vs digital presentation

Guest francis woo

Anyway, even disregarding the prices, I feel it's like a bit of a "bully" to compare the Be-718 against the M&D as the 718 is a regular/large bookshelf while the M&K is a mini bookshelf.

Would be fun to hear the Be-718 in action heard alot about it. Anyone has one to bring along this sunday? ;D

Btw think you got the M&D Mini confuse with the Monitor grade series of the Ruby/Topaz/Sapphire.  ;)

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I meant is the Be-718 is a regular bookshelf at 38.7 x 25.8 x 42.8 cm with a 7" driver while the M&D Sapphire is a small bookshelf at 29.0 x 17.0 x 21.3 cm with a 5.5" driver.

It's like asking a feather weight boxer to fight the heavy weight boxer.  ;D

I don't doubt the performance of the Sapphire but it would be fairer if they r compared against similar sized bookshelves, something like ALR/Jordan Entry Si or Entry M but then the great difference in prices will also not justify the shoot out.

???

What I meant is the Be-718 is a regular bookshelf at 38.7 x 25.8 x 42.8 cm with a 7" driver while the M&D Sapphire is a small bookshelf at 29.0 x 17.0 x 21.3 cm with a 5.5" driver.

I do agree that the Usher Be-718 is better to be compared to Paradigm S2, Focal Electra 1007 Be or the ALR Jordan Note 3.

I do agree that the Usher Be-718 is better to be compared to Paradigm S2, Focal Electra 1007 Be or the ALR Jordan Note 3.

I do agree we need someone to bring along the Usher Be-718 ;D  Hey dont we have a few ALR Jordan users, anyone interesting in bringing theirs over.

This is getting more exciting, i bet our ears will be extremely poison come sunday! :D Hey francis do you have a digicam?

I don't doubt the performance of the Sapphire but it would be fairer if they r compared against similar sized bookshelves, something like ALR/Jordan Entry Si or Entry M but then the great difference in prices will also not justify the shoot out.

Perhaps you we have forgotten that the JMLab, MA, Aurum Cantus and Dynaudio aren't minis too! ;)

Guest francis woo

Think my Canon HV20 in 1080i shud be good enough!!!

Actually, I more keen in playing my Linn LP12 (just got upgraded) against the MHZ 88-E.  Analog vs Digital.  Bro Kelso has kindly contributed the SRV and Eagles LPs and CDs for a direct comparison and I am sure you guys will be convinced that the old fashion way of playing records is still the best!!!.....hahaha :D

Actually, I more keen in playing my Linn LP12 (just got upgraded) against the MHZ 88-E.  Analog vs Digital.  Bro Kelso has kindly contributed the SRV and Eagles LPs and CDs for a direct comparison and I am sure you guys will be convinced that the old fashion way of playing records is still the best!!!.....hahaha :D

Opps i mean a digital camera to snap pictures instead of using camera phones  :)

Lucky you on the TT, I do like the warm and live sound of the vinyls. ;) However its damm expensive collecting them, I remember spending more then 5K on vinyls during my days on the decks! 

Guest francis woo

Hahaha, for a moment I thought Darthfunk has moved and changed all his equipment!!!!  Wonder whose house is that!!

Anybody volunteer to pick up some of the speakers.  Logistically, it's tough for me to do it alone..... ::)

Hahaha, for a moment I thought Darthfunk has moved and changed all his equipment!!!!  Wonder whose house is that!!

Anybody volunteer to pick up some of the speakers.  Logistically, it's tough for me to do it alone..... ::)

Francis you may want to indicate which speaker needs to be picked up where are they located, so that the guys can help you.

Actually, I wanted to bring the Eagles XRCD and LP. Seems like I don't have to now. The difference is quite obvious.

Hi Francis,

I am quite certain LP's will sound more musical than CDs of the same album in this coming shootout.

Have already heard this comparison between a heavily Modded MHZS-88E (U should know the owner) vs Amari TT.

The difference was quite obvious but I am still holding my horse to jump into TTs.  ;D

Maybe higher-end CDPs that cost twice as much as the TT in comparison can narrow the gap ?  ???

I am quite certain LP's will sound more musical than CDs of the same album in this coming shootout.

Have already heard this comparison between a heavily Modded MHZS-88E (U should know the owner) vs Amari TT.

The difference was quite obvious but I am still holding my horse to jump into TTs.  ;D

Maybe higher-end CDPs that cost twice as much as the TT in comparison can narrow the gap ?  ???

In my opinion, I think the media is the issue, not the CDP or TT. No matter how transparent or how good the CDP is, CD format can't compete with Vinyl. You can only compare CDP to CDP and TT to TT.

Hi Francis,

In my opinion, some higher end cdps/cdts+dacs can sound very close to or even like vinyl (rich, lush, extended, natural-sounding, realistic to name a few pluses), especially when compared to budget/mid range tts (not talking about the high end tts with the full works), but how analog sounding the digital media sounds also depends on the media itself...poorly recorded or mastered stuff still sounds digital, while others are very analog. I guess maybe those who have at least tried cdps or digital sources above $10k in their systems can comment or chime in here? I would love to hear how the metronome kalista sounds like, for example... :o

One day maybe have to dig out my old tt to try also...not played vinyl in donkey years...ex and tedious to upkeep on hectic schedule...

Can do a blind test - 1. is the cheapo Eagles cd

against         2. the XRCD

and              3. the vinyl

can put some cover over the cd player display and cover the lp12

also with/without the marigo :) see who got golden ears

but must try your best to destat the lp first because the static is a dead give-away

Can do a blind test - 1. is the cheapo Eagles cd

against        2. the XRCD

and              3. the vinyl

can put some cover over the cd player display and cover the lp12

also with/without the marigo :) see who got golden ears

but must try your best to destat the lp first because the static is a dead give-away

Quite difficult to ensure it is static free.

One method which I do as part of my ritual before playing the record is to place a carbon brush on a spinning record then I earth myself by touching my phono chasis, actually the screw on the chasis.

Actually should get myself one of these

http://www.mapleshaderecords.com/audioproducts/recordbrush.php

another edit to add : someone told me the best of diana kr@ll lp the left channel got static on all the tracks  :o apparently its inherent(in the recording)