Shoot out - Over 1K bookshelf speakers/analog vs digital presentation

Guest francis woo

Yes, will write more later, but my MA GS 10 IMO was outclassed by the likes of your speaker (a ProArc clone) the M / D and of course the Aurum. My only consolation is that a real ProArc, the M.D and the Aurm costs a lot more. And IMO getting the right amp was important, and my MAs needed a different kind of amp. pigscanfly had a CD called Mana which brought the best out of the MAs, they sound better with these vocals.

I feel the treble was best in your Scanspeak equipped speakers followed by darthfunk's.

I didn't stay for the 52SE, but I am very familar with their sound and it is a fabulous one. But they and the Aurum's deserve more than the 33W tube amp....

Also the room tends to excacerabte the brightness of any treble happy tweeter. Heard my MAs back in my room after dinner, amp matching for the best efffect is important. The Marantz SR 12 and its 120w matches the GS 10 nicely.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After changing from M/D to 52SE .You will noticed that the high and low has narrowing down!

This may due to the ribbon tweeter and the cross over point for the M/D

But I can said 52SE has beat the M/D for the mid

Guest francis woo

I would like to take this opportunity to thank everybody who attended the gathering especially those who kindly take the trouble to bring their speakers for all to enjoy.  I now have to pack and   get ready to leave tomorrow morning to Sha/Hkg.  I hope to organize another shoot out later this Month, this time for those speakers under 1K.  Until then, cheers.......

After changing from M/D to 52SE .You will noticed that the high and low has narrowing down!

This may due to the ribbon tweeter and the cross over point for the M/D

But I can said 52SE has beat the M/D for the mid

Hehe.. the price has also narrowed down to 60%??  ;)

Pete, my bookshelf speaker has nothing to do with Pro Ac one... it's Synthesis model R1  ;D. On the other hand, my floorstander is poor man version of ProAc Response 2.5.  ;) Wrt to GS10, it probably has something to do with volume level as well. At lower level and combine with a sub, I believe it would sound better.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank everybody who attended the gathering especially those who kindly take the trouble to bring their speakers for all to enjoy.  I now have to pack and   get ready to leave tomorrow morning to Sha/Hkg.  I hope to organize another shoot out later this Month, this time for those speakers under 1K.  Until then, cheers.......

Hey Francis thanks for the hospitality and for being such a great host! Food was great too!  ;) 

Heard so much about Dynaudio's speakers and finally got a chance to listen to Audience 52SE. Oh man! After I heard the 1st song it was played, I can only say it's the speaker I would buy. This was the speaker that I enjoyed through out the audition. The bass and mid were there and very good separation. It sounded like a floorstander to me.

Synthesis' diy speaker was one of my favourite. It was warm and full sounding. The bass was not bad too.

Heard Sapphire at Darthfunk's before which didn't actually perform except the bass which caught my attention. But today, it was another performer. The bass was as good as before and it's able to keep up with fast pace. The separate was good too.

When I 1st look at GS10, it reminded me of my Usher S520 and very high WAF. Sadly to say GS10's sound  was not to my liking. When playing one of the Mana's track, it was bright and sounded confused (I meant no separation). But it was better when playing 'Every Breath You Take'. It was smooth, clear and sweet. I believe, with matching equipment and good acoustic room, I believe GS10 can perform as good as other speakers.  

Hey Francis thanks for the hospitality, those who brought over their equipments & last but not least our photographers.

Sorry for not being able to bring over my Usher Be-718 as seems that there r quite a number of U guys interested to hear how they sound.

Probably after I recieve my Usher stands at the end of March, I will invite U guys over for a listen if U don't mind coming all the way west.  ;)

As for the below $1K speakers shoot-out, I would gladly offer to bring over my ALR/Jordan Entry Si if I can make it on that day.  ;D

I would like to take this opportunity to thank everybody who attended the gathering especially those who kindly take the trouble to bring their speakers for all to enjoy.  I now have to pack and  get ready to leave tomorrow morning to Sha/Hkg.  I hope to organize another shoot out later this Month, this time for those speakers under 1K.  Until then, cheers.......

Hey Francis,

Thanks for hosting me, excellent session, nice food, great speakers, good enjoyable time and fantastic gang.

Also thankful for suggesting the under 1K shoot out for me! ;D

Had a good trip and bring back good lobang!!

From the layman(1 cent worth comment).

1) Synthesis DIY speakers - Balanced tremble with controlled bass, body is tight with sufficient power, not comprising to details. Beautifully casted handmade exterior box and external crossover is sure guru level. Thumbs up for the diy work on it which hold respect by me. Play anything and it will just sound near like a floorstander. Patient is the key to success for DIY.

2) Monitor Audio GS 10 - bright sound for bassy music which match better on tube equipment and mellow song with vocal music that will take liking by B&W fans as well. The choir gene music will execute with precise and speed acute detail. With space age outlook, another item to add to the modern style house.

3) M&D Sapphire's - NuForce Ref 9 V2 SE & Oppo 980 - M&D Omni Harmoniser - Digital playout from Oppo, yet it give a balance natural feel as tube, bass was powerful not overwhel, tremble was acute and round, image differentiation was controlled throughout. Harmoniser add more space, making the stage wide and filled. 'Mana unplugged' rock the best out of this monster, sure to make your Eagle concert alive! Not forgetting the "where is your sub?" and "which one? - bookshelf or floorstander".

4) Dynaudio Audience 52 SE, NuForce Ref 9 V2 SE & Oppo 980 M&D Omni Harmoniser - Immediate comfort set in with much awaited anticipation. Meeting the expectation of the legend, high and mid range is balanced, smooth, easy with the low hitting at the round pitching, like a gentleman playing jazz, catching your moment of relax. 

5)Arum Cantus V8F - The floorstander that walk in last with all the possible performance that you will expected. Tweeter is sweet enough, mid was warm with low coming like smoothly to fufill its role while making the over experience a feel of gentleness to linger on for your vocal, smooth, orchestor music. Roomy, staging, image distributed the whole area, making all spot sweet. Lady in cheongsam, looks good at all angle in classic.

If there's any area of wordings or comments that offended, my apology.

Am dreaming of this amp also  ;D

Hi My liking of the speakers during the shoot out will be as follows;

1)The Systhesis R1

2)M&D

3)Dyaudio 52SE

4)GS10

I want to thanks Francis for his warm hospitality and I really enjoy the seesion !

Hey Francis,

Thanks for hosting me, excellent session, nice food, great speakers, good enjoyable time and fantastic gang.

Also thankful for suggesting the under 1K shoot out for me! ;D

Had a good trip and bring back good lobang!!

From the layman(1 cent worth comment).

1) Synthesis DIY speakers - Balanced tremble with controlled bass, body is tight with sufficient power, not comprising to details. Beautifully casted handmade exterior box and external crossover is sure guru level. Thumbs up for the diy work on it which hold respect by me. Play anything and it will just sound near like a floorstander. Patient is the key to success for DIY.

2) Monitor Audio GS 10 - bright sound for bassy music which match better on tube equipment and mellow song with vocal music that will take liking by B&W fans as well. The choir gene music will execute with precise and speed acute detail. With space age outlook, another item to add to the modern style house.

3) M&D Sapphire's - NuForce Ref 9 V2 SE & Oppo 980 - M&D Omni Harmoniser - Digital playout from Oppo, yet it give a balance natural feel as tube, bass was powerful not overwhel, tremble was acute and round, image differentiation was controlled throughout. Harmoniser add more space, making the stage wide and filled. 'Mana unplugged' rock the best out of this monster, sure to make your Eagle concert alive! Not forgetting the "where is your sub?" and "which one? - bookshelf or floorstander".

4) Dynaudio Audience 52 SE, NuForce Ref 9 V2 SE & Oppo 980 M&D Omni Harmoniser - Immediate comfort set in with much awaited anticipation. Meeting the expectation of the legend, high and mid range is balanced, smooth, easy with the low hitting at the round pitching, like a gentleman playing jazz, catching your moment of relax. 

5)Arum Cantus V8F - The floorstander that walk in last with all the possible performance that you will expected. Tweeter is sweet enough, mid was warm with low coming like smoothly to fufill its role while making the over experience a feel of gentleness to linger on for your vocal, smooth, orchestor music. Roomy, staging, image distributed the whole area, making all spot sweet. Lady in cheongsam, looks good at all angle in classic.

If there's any area of wordings or comments that offended, my apology.

Very detailed and nicely articulated. Nice write up to summarise the session.  :)

Am dreaming of this amp also  ;D

If you are keen to read about Melody integrated amps, Stereophile (march 08 issues) talks about the Melody and Cayin integrated amp.

For those looking at analog, the march issue of "the absolute sound" magazine has quite a good coverage on the analog systems. In fact, it was labelled, "2008 Analog Issue" on its cover. You will find, Rega, Pro-Ject, Clearaudio and some high-end MIC audio stuffs in it.

Just played SRV's Tin Pan Alley on Linn lp12 and boy it's so much better than the CD on my

MHZ Cdp.  You have to hear it to believe it..... :D

Wanted to attend but was unable to due to family commitment.  !Just wondering, during the shootout, did more folks prefer the sound of the LP12 or the CD MHZ Cdp? 

It was a success, thanks to Francis for his hospitality.. and boy what a spacious audio room he has!

Sorry I don't remember all your guys names but there you were.

My speaker took the honour to kick off the show.

Pete's GS 10 was the next. Sorry Pete, but it's not really my cup of tea. The high was a bit too harsh for me, which may affect the overall presentation. Cabinet finishing is top notch!! Very high WAF. 

Next was Darthfunk's M&D Saphire. This is a smoothie speaker. The bass was amazing for the size.

The last was Dynaudio Audience 52SE. Typical Dyn sound. Good balance sound, ample bass. 

Until the next session!!  :)   

:o Wow! Looks like a mini Hi-Fi show. You guys must have really enjoyed the musical odyssey. :) Too bad I can't make it.

U should have seen the setup with lights all off except for some ambience warm down light over the equipments.

The scene was almost similar to that of a Hifi Show.  ;D

Any photos with this settings ?

:o Wow! Looks like a mini Hi-Fi show. You guys must have really enjoyed the musical odyssey. :) Too bad I can't make it.

Wanted to attend but was unable to due to family commitment.  !Just wondering, during the shootout, did more folks prefer the sound of the LP12 or the CD MHZ Cdp? 

We didn't really have much time for the TT vs CDP. Most of the time was spent on speakers. But I can tell you that LP will usually sound better on similar albums.

Actually, I noticed that the bass appears a little weaker when the Harmonizer is plugged in. I suspect it could be caused by the additional load of the Harmonizer. I may be wrong, but can try bi-amping for the Harmonizer or run higher gauge cables.