Monitor Audio Owners & Discussion Thread

The pound has gone down. So in order to maintain the VFM factor in retail prices, the SRP must go up.

Plus the older series did very well, so they know it is popular.

Lets see how this one fairs..

It is going at a higher price than the RS series. Not lower.

Darn.

It is going at a higher price than the RS series. Not lower.

Darn.

Oh ya ..saw wrongly .. kept mixing it up with the US prices.

Like what pete said ... the pound has gone down quite abit. Therefore, they have to up the SRP price.

I just bought the MA C165 ceiling speakers for surrounds to go with my RS6/LCR fronts. These will replace my current RS1 surrounds, since I am moving to a new place, where I cant place the standmounts behind the listening position.

Anyone else using the C165s? Any tips on where to install them to get optimum effect and avoid the 'from above' sound?

From the ceiling still can avoid "from above" sound? I am also interested but i doubt it is possible... it is after all, indeed "from above".

Dont know if any bro here was at PA this afternoon..... wow quite a crowd there I must say...  ;D

Edward was "having fun" and so are the crowd there... auditioning the RS6 and the Music Infinity Amp and Cayin A-50T Amp....

One bro got a pair of the RS6 and another the Music Infinity Amp..... think most of us are quite impress.... I had to make myself leave to kena deep poison there....  :P

Anyway, the poison is planted.... got no chance to audition the BR2.... anyway Edward did mention BR1 not so good.... wonder how is BR2.....

Now eyeing the BR2 and think whether to pair it with the Music Infinity (cheaper and affordable to me) or to deep pocket for the Cayin Amp..... the music infinity is good... but the Cayin is like another level....  ::)

Another question is whether the NAD CDP will match well with the above setupl?? Obviously no chance to put them together and test...  :P

I heard the RS6 at PA a few days ago. Am quite tempted. Is this speaker easy to drive? I'm currently using an entry level pioneer av receiver (818v-k) that is rated at 95w (20hz -20khz, THD 0.06%, 8 ohms). Will i need to upgrade my receiver in order to get decent sound out of this speaker? Any advice will be much appreciated, thank you.

Welcome to XP.

Read this thread, then the stickies and use the search button too.

You will know I used a 5W tube amp with the RS 6 before.

I heard the RS6 at PA a few days ago. Am quite tempted. Is this speaker easy to drive? I'm currently using an entry level pioneer av receiver (818v-k) that is rated at 95w (20hz -20khz, THD 0.06%, 8 ohms). Will i need to upgrade my receiver in order to get decent sound out of this speaker? Any advice will be much appreciated, thank you.

Guest francis woo

I've read through all 23 pages of this thread. Can't find any post that mentions how the RS6 sounds with an entry level av receiver. Anyone able to shed some light?

Bro, the best way to find out is to bring your Pioneer avr to the showroom.  You have to decide whether you like what you are hearing and don't let other people tell you otherwise........... :-\

The new ION Orchard mall has a music and equipment store in the basement somewhere, where they are selling MA speakers. They have RS6s for audition, and I saw cartons for the BR range too. I was with a hungry child, so could not ask around ... But seems like they are setting up a serious store there.

I believe the 3 woofer drivers are signature of the RX8 series.

RX6:

RS6:

Somehow, the new "design" seemingly lost the appeal of the monitor audio RS series. I would still prefer the more sophisticated looks on the original RS6.

Somehow, the new "design" seemingly lost the appeal of the monitor audio RS series. I would still prefer the more sophisticated looks on the original RS6.

Same here ... but the new design is slowly getting more appealing :)

The new ION Orchard mall has a music and equipment store in the basement somewhere, where they are selling MA speakers. They have RS6s for audition, and I saw cartons for the BR range too. I was with a hungry child, so could not ask around ... But seems like they are setting up a serious store there.

I went there today. This shop is owned by gramophone i think. They had the BR6 and RS6 on display, along with a few other brands like Klipsch and Yamaha. After-GST price is about the same as PA.

Anyway, the RS6 there was powered by a big Rotel amp, and it sounded poor, completely different from what i had heard at PA.. Dunno whether there was something wrong with the setup or environment, or that this speaker really needs to be paired well with a matching amp.

I have had the MA GS20's for a couple of weeks and have found they are better all round compared to the MA RS6's. As you would expect since they are twice the price. These the most expensive speakers ive ever owned ($3900.00 new, i paid $1800 used) so i was eager to see what you get for your money once you get over the 2k mark. Pretty much all the speakers ive owned have been around the 2k mark.

Fit and finish of both models are first class. The cabinets on the 20's are a bit bigger in all dementions. The plinth is a cast steel plate recessed to fit snugly around the bottom of the cabinet and secured with 4 large bolts.

There are 4 beefy screw in feet with optional spikes. These are very easy to adjust and lock down. The spikes come packed in a case with tools and a spirit level to help set up the speakers. All the drivers in the gs20's are different from the rs6's. The two 6.5" drivers have a golf ball type of dimples in them and the butel rubber surrounds are thicker. The grills on the 20's are better made for sound to get through. Although the way they attach isn't as solid as the rs6.

Detail, detail, detail! Thats the first word that comes to mind when listening to the gs20's. Everything is cleaner, clearer and better balanced. From top to bottom, no one spectrum stands out above the other.

The bass on the 20's is alot more solid. Still punchy with weight and not as muddy as the rs6. They have the ports front and rear as the rs6 did but they have ribs in the ports (see pics) which they claim reduces chuffing and port noise. All i know is that with the rs6's i never felt i had the bass correct. I was always putting the plug in and taking it out of the rear port. So far the plugs i got with the GS20's are still in their wrapers. The 20's are not as sensitive with their positioning compared to the 6's

Mids are more lush and projected out into the room with more accurate detail. Vocals have more body, are more lifelike and are also more out front compared to the rs6..

Treble can still be a little prickley on some recordings but over all smoother the rs6. Especially when you crank it up.

Soundstage with the rs6 seemed to sit ontop of the speakers where as the GS20 seems to sit just infront of the speakers.

The rs6 is probably more dynamic where the gs20 is more even handed. While the dynamic speakers can be initially more exciting to listen to they can become hard on the ears after a while. The more even handed gs20s i can listen to all night. Dont get me wrong they can punch it out. Snare drums have real snap to them. They just dont give you a head ache.

I listen to just about anything music wise as long as it sounds good. So far everything ive played through the GS 20's sounds pretty bloody good.

So now i know what spending more money can bring you. A better speaker. Dont get me wrong the Silver Rs6 is a great speaker for the money. But the Gold Gs20's are a fair step up. Are they twice as good? (They cost twice as much)

Aaaahhhh..... no. But isnt that always the way?

Cheers

Edited by Braddles 63

Nice review mate. Speakers and room looks beautiful! I had a pair of RS8 for a while and thought the same as you in regards to the RS6. Exciting sound at first, but felt harsh and fatiguing after a few songs (especially with the bel canto integrated which already borders close to emphasising the brightish side). If the GS20 mellows and refines it a bit like you say, then would be perfect.

The Jungson would of added more weight/smoothness into the music as opposed the BC??

Nice report Braddles. They look very nice. I like the beaut case for the spikes and allen keys too.

Does the glow from your amp distract you at all?

It can get a bit bright sometimes. Although now i have changed rooms and put it behind tinted glass it has toned it down some what. You can turn it off but i love the power meters glowing at this stage. Im sure the novelty will wear off.:D