Monitor Audio Owners & Discussion Thread

• 3 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

a question someone posed which I think others will benefit from:

"need to ask you whether a NAD amp will be good enough to drive your MA RS1 speakers?  and i wonder if it will be a suitable combination boh.... thanks!"

The RS1 is a v sensitive speaker at 91db and most amps will have no issue

I have used a 10w amp and it was fine and can be driven to pretty loud levels.

The pairing should be fine, but your ears are the final judge.

Everyone now and then someone wants to know this

So I will post the pms I get on this

eg

"I recently purchased a Trend Audio TA 10 and plug it inot my recycled old mini hifi speakers.

The volume is rather weak for my small room

Is your MA RS1 suitable for this amplifier?"

The RS series or even the BR series are fairly sensitive speakers at 89-91db at 6ohms.

Even a 87db speaker will produce sound, but obviously a more sensitive speaker does better.

Even so do not expect miracles and depth plunging bass from a low current amp.

Try first and see, bring the amp down to Precision Audio and give it a spin

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Just got a pair of PSB Image 10s bipoles, rather big speakers with a 91db rating plus a aluminium tweeter on the cheap.

I think it matches my MAs better and there is now more air to the surrounds. Just played LOTR II again and there is so much more clarity and ambience now.

I think the surrounds can be underrated, but if done properly they do a really important role.

Just ordered a ATI 2505, 250 watts per channel times 5.... wooo hooo!

• 2 weeks later...

Recently added the ATI 2505

A 106 lbs behemoth, the most powerful power amp which runs without a fan... I needed a buddy to help me unpack this baby.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x244/pe...rock/img214.jpg

10 capacitors, two per channel

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x244/pe...rock/img215.jpg

Plus a pair of PSB 10s dipoles for $300 ex old stock...

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x244/pe...rock/img216.jpg

The surround envelop is much better now with these PSBs

How to render yourself immobile....

An unexpected bonus of the new acquisition the Samsung 1400, was its medicinal values.

Quite out of the blue, I decided after a series of delightful Blu Ray movies to consider using the BR player as a transport fed by a Xindak Coaxial cable to the Marantz SR 12 driving my main RS 6 speakers in direct mode, sans subwoofer.

I expected some sound, probably decent but not stunning. yet I ask readers to bring themselves to moments in their lives when they audition a good sound system that grips their attention in a way that the suddenly get struck dumbfounded and simply unable to move elsewhere until the CD plays it’s last tune.

Well surprised? Indeed I was, as I would hardly expect a Blu Ray player to act well as a transport, but it did a sterling job, and song after song I could have sworn that Harry Belafonte was in the same room, and each little breath he took, the nuances in the music in a well worn CD that I was very familiar with came forth with new vigor, spilling out the detail in a smooth way, never too bright nor too soft, drawing me in as I heard details in the music that I have not before.

The music room when set up well is a trap, which is akin to a beautiful woman who draws you in with a soft hint of a smile and then envelops you in her music perfume, making you forget time and space, and as you settle into the leather couch, massage your every square each of skin with the gentle tunes, encouraging you to close your eyes and enjoy the embrace of the music emitting from the two towers. There is no regard for how long you have, the paperwork waiting for you, dinner or even water. She has you captivated in her bosom of music, and you are only released when the CD plays its last. Even then, the tune seems permanently embedded in your mind, and you reach for the remote to begin the CD once more, like an opium addict, reaching out for another draw on the pipe, only too eager to get more of the same stuff.

If I travelled first class, perhaps on a safari or a luxury liner with servants in tow to bring anything my heart desired, then I would not hesitate to order them to carry the Marantz with the RS 6 and now the new Samsung Blu Ray player and my favourite cds along to play in the savannah, surround by lions and elephants who come to lie quietly by my tent, also enthralled by the lush tunes playing within from my setup as the sunset sets on my safari.

There are innumerable setups which will make my current system pale in comparison, but for the money I put in, I have found a splendid balance, and life has become a lot less harsh coming home to the warm embrace of this partnership.

Just listened to a PB12 plus 2 in action, in an attic, with wooden floors and the sub just behind the sofa....

Very earth-shattering bass, thanks Sam!

Decided that I could try and reproduce this in my own system.

I switched from using the RS 6 as 'large' to 'small' then used the PB 12+ in a 16Hz configuration, taking one foam bung out.

The result, a notch higher in the bass section! Suddenly I had released the mid-bass section, even without touching the AV amp sections. More thumps in the chest. and definitely more involvement in the whole movie.

Saving Pte Ryan took on a new level of reality....

Even Tomb Raider has a new sound track to impress now.

Come try it mates, and see what legacy DD and DTS can sound like :)

Been tweaking the sub more, turning it up to 11 o'clock, then closing the door to my HT room fully.

Tried playing a few explosions...

Yep check on the compression effect! The whole room feels like a compression chamber and I feel the thumps and blows on my chest as the sub plunges the notes. Almost as fun as a pluninging neckline (or better...)

Grab a U 571 dvd and check out the depth charges or Star Wars II, and those sound charges too. Even an older True Lies THX DVD had tremendous impact.

I need a kevlar suit now, the bass just went up a notch again...

But I am more keen on ambience and the effects than the bass right now.... the whole fluid and seamless movement of sound around the head is way too impressive and makes the whole experience heaps more fun!

• 2 weeks later...

Many want to know the price for MAs

I don't for them :)

Ask Edward at Precision Audio, level 1 in Adelphi

He has his moods but is pretty nice IMO.

Approach him nicely....

Once you're in his good book, you can talk c**k sing songs with him for hours....

Or even "ciak hung ki" with him behind the store  ;D

Used to frequent his store when I was auditioning for my gears 2-3 years ago....

Noticed that those smart aleck who come in to his store with some ya-ya attitude will get some cold treatment from him.

Using a chessy Malata MIC DVD player as a source, feeding the Music Fidelity 150w PC amp some Jazz and the GR 10s sound magical.

Nice bass from a set of bookshelves, and these MIC cds (not the SYT stuff) can really rock for a quarter the price in SG.

The largish bookshelves give good pace and rhythym and image well. Imagine what a proper CD player can do for this system.

Falling snow outside, warm coffee and a nice sandwich, what a Sunday....

• 3 weeks later...

The Gold Series from Monitor Audio is something that is a sight to behold and write about..

Marantz SR 12 AV amp

QED XT tube 300

Pioneer DV 525 as a transport to the amp.

Atacama Stands, half filled with silver sand

I often espouse about how the sound should matter most, and that is still true but when you lay eyes on a pair of these in piano gloss, plus the corresponding centre, it is quite something else. It goes well with my Pioneer 507 plasma which is also in black gloss. The cabinet work surpasses the RS series and IMO is one of the best for sane money. You really feel like it is a fine piece of furniture and the picture shows a perfect reflection, quite delightful. The deliver folks have a real task too, as the centre weighs in at 12.5 kg and each GS 10 is about 8.5kg. you really feel like there is a lot of speaker. Benefits of Chinese mass production, I guess.

So the external appearance is one of a fine item of beauty, well made with the gold tweeter and build quality something you long to show off, how about the sound then?

Most of the initial impressions are based on the run-in pair I borrowed, and I will tell more of how the GS works in a HT setup too later on.

When you have good electronics, they beg for you to get good speakers to match and speakers are about 60-70% of the whole sonic signature of the system. There have been many good reviews of the GS and esp the GS 10 but one recurring note was that the treble was noted to be forward or bright. This was a real concern, especially after the rather dismal demo at Edward’s place. But if you parter them well and run them in, then the sound is just on the ‘shiny’ or enthusiastic side of neutral and in return they will reward you with an incisive sound with loads of detail and also perform well in the HT role which generally requires a more exciting sound. But Marantz partners them well and you are reward with a sound I have become familiar with, but this new partnership offers just that much more of everything. The key is to audition with your amp / source and see how it sounds.

So how does it sound? Well I used the analogy of a vivacious energetic lady for the RS 6 and this is her sister, who inherits similar characteristics yet you will know she is different.

This is a speaker that lets you know that you paid good money and will receive your just rewards. Think of a high class geisha, whom you hired. She is beautiful to look at, exquisitely made up and when she move, each movement is refined, well trained and you can definitely see the difference from the more prosaic stuff that costs less.

Similarly here, the GS 10 is not just a good looker, but when you play something delicate, it responds with the same gentle touch, and you heard details that you never quite noticed before. It may mean it is a little less forgiving of sources, but it like the good geisha, doesn’t embarrass the source either.

MP3 and Itunes is not considered hi fi no matter how you cut it, but interestingly, even though you are left with no doubts about the difference between compressed and lossless music, these revealing speakers still let the compressed songs make a decent tune. It was no pain using my Ipod with its dock connected via analogue inputs to my amp.

When you play larger scale music, it also responds and the soundstage is solid, clear and stable. The music is presented just slightly ahead of the speakers and details are located precisely in the sound landscape built in front of the listener. You can quite easily follow individual instruments in the orchestra.

I once comments that some hi end systems are often played with so called ‘audiophile’ discs, that include scatter isolated drums, simple vocals to show off the ‘hi end’ equipment but has no relevance to the owner who lives on a diet of pop and techno. The GS 10 is a rather flexible creature, able to show off your carefully masters Gold recordings, Chesky stuff but equally adept at playing the trashy pop and demonstrating it has pace rhythm and plenty of mid bass to boot. In fact it will easily best some small floorstanders, but no one will mistake this for the GS 20.

Since I sit quite close to the system, having one cone only has its advantages as I have less risk of phase coherence problems. And with my diet of vocals, and instrumentals the GS 10 is able to keep me happy. In fact one of the ice features is how well it sounds at low volumes, not requiring you to listen at head-banging volumes to come alive.

It is a sensitive design, at 88 db, 8 ohms, and will slot nicely into mostly modestly powered homes. But give it more juice, a better amp and it will rewards you with more detail, bass and control. The dynamics are a close match for the Dynaudio 52 SE and it can play loudly too but where it differs is its ability to sound good just cruising along at softer settings.

The bass is integrated, and meaty, but I also should mention the treble is like the RS 6, her top end is tamer than the RS 6 but remains brighter than soft-domed competitors. A run-in period of at least two months is advised and if you grab one off the shops it will sound rough and unpolished, just like a new apprentice geisha. But give it a few months, and the rough edges are replaced with a smoother top end that gives detail without causing your ears to bleed. The Marantz SR 12 makes a good match, a slightly warm to neutral amp will be better than one which is already treble happy. I also use a copper based cable from QED to help smoothen things. Avoid silver. Adequate room treatment, with blackout curtains also helps absorb excess high frequency reflections.

The mid takes time to emerge since the GS 10 has a dual hump characteristic, and after running in, the mid starts to sing too and you will feel that it is quite an all rounder.

So should you get one? well if you have a bright system, them maybe not, otherwise this will enhace a sytem that has a good amp, and bring life and excitement back to familar recordings and get you cocooned in a aural cloud nine, sans boxes.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x244/pe...ck/DSC_2863.jpg

Look at the quality of the gloss and the reflection, a work of art and the benefits of switching manufacturing to China, allowing a high quality speaker t obe made at a fraction of the price in UK. No issue with the finish and fit either.

The centre speaker is equally substantial too.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x244/pe...ck/DSC_2861.jpg

More on its HT performance in a while…

http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/cms/uploads/...gs_brochure.pdf

Nice little review Peter.

I bought a pair of GS20s, GSFX and the GSLCR a few months back and think they are just marvelous. I heartedly agree the classy piano black finish really does match perfectly with the bezel of the Pioneer plasma. I'm very glad to hear the GS series combines nicely with Marantz audio gear with a SR7002 AVR on order myself. I'm also looking forward to discovering just how much more goodness I can squeeze out of them with a quality power amp.

I thought about getting the GS10s as a possible future upgrade to complete a 7.1 set-up but I think that may be be overkill, for as you say they are quite capable mains in their own right and would probably be wasted as rears.

Edited by Felix.

good ot read you guys are enjoying them, my only encounter, with the gold signature series, has been with the GS60 floorstander back here

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=48550

was very impressed, the sound quality, build quality, fit and finish especially for the money is quite astounding.

Really good to see one of the good old english brands still putting out such quality product when so many of other similar uk brands seem to have fallen by the wayside.

Thanks, if you have not firmed the order for the 7002, do consider the 8002 or higher, the GS deserves more :) Show the GS some respect mate! ;)

I am ining my ATI to drive it for laughs, although my listening levels are usually less than 80db and in my room the SR 12 does it more musically.

You can consider a dipole instead, or if its just the surround backs, then even a Bronze or Silver will suffice I reckon. Even the RS 1 is a bit of an overkill I think.

I am running my GS in a bit, then will report on its HT performance.

BTW if you get the GS and Marantz from Singapore, you save a pile... the weight will kill shipping costs, but if you have mates over there coming over or you fly there often, then you save heaps.

Nice little review Peter.

I bought a pair of GS20s, GSFX and the GSLCR a few months back and think they are just marvelous. I heartedly agree the classy piano black finish really does match perfectly with the bezel of the Pioneer plasma. I'm very glad to hear the GS series combines nicely with Marantz audio gear with a SR7002 AVR on order myself. I'm also looking forward to discovering just how much more goodness I can squeeze out of them with a quality power amp.

I thought about getting the GS10s as a possible future upgrade to complete a 7.1 set-up but I think that may be be overkill, for as you say they are quite capable mains in their own right and would probably be wasted as rears.