Monitor Audio Owners & Discussion Thread

Now we just need a good local comparison with the Platinum series - and when you talk about the centre speaker look at the difference in size Article here side by side comparison on page 26.

Great pics!

Plenty of nice looking MA gear to drool over in that lot. Never seen their gear in person but those photos show up the great finish and build quality that many have commented on before.

CJ

Le sub....

I shifted it away from the from, then got a pro who does lots of SVS to recalibrate it, will write a review on that soon, but he detected there is a 32Hz suckout in my room and a 50-60Hz bump, so he did some parametric magic on it... if it still does not give me the thump in the chest, I will get a BFD!

BTW the GS series has its gloss from a high quality car polish, so when I send my car in, I might have to bring them along for a shine too :)

I found a cure for the slightly bright treble...

I just had a session with a friend and he helped me move my sub into a new position, more on the sub later...

But with the sub in use at 16Hz for music, the tonal signature of the MAs took a nicer turn, with a more fullsome sound that not only filled up the lower octaves, but allowed the whole presentation to be more warm and less treble 'shiny' and just adding the sub made the whole soundstage much wider too.

I have never been much of an advocate of using the subwoofer in stereo, and yet at the 16Hz tune for the SVS PB 12+, the effect was nice and the two mated together very nicely. Of course, this was after an extensive calibration session for the sub earlier this week. And I will write more about this later on....

Toeing in and Brightness:

This improves imaging, but you should just be able to see the inner aspect of the speaker, otherwise too much toeing in will increase the brightness. And I suggest listening on a pair of stands where the tweeter is just below ear levels.

MAs with their metal cones and tweeters are brighter than the soft dome stuff, so you need to be ware before you buy, esp the bookshelf ones. See my review on the GS 10 on how to tune this.

There is no bass cone to mellow things out, so it will sound brighter than the floorstanders.

Partnering amps, cables etc all play a part and having room treatment to absorb higher frequencies also helps. In my room the treble is much less energetic than in Edward's.

Partnering amps, cables etc all play a part and having room treatment to absorb higher frequencies also helps. In my room the treble is much less energetic than in Edward's.

how about pairing up with canare 4s11 which is known to be slower and warm?

right now i am using music infinity amp, rs1 and canare 4s11 (not bi-wiring). feel tat something is amiss, some areas can be improved further but i just cant pinpoint wat thing.

BTW Precision Audio (adelphi) in Singapore is retailing the GS 10 for about SIN$ 17xx before tax, and they do shipping to Oz too...

Googled precision audio but can't seem to find a web site.......can you help?

See my thread on buying from Singapore mate, most shops there deal in cash, and have not caught onto the online trade, you can try calling them:

+65 63344611 and look for Edward

Do read that thread about all the caveats. I believe he ships over too if you ask him.

Hi Pete, so will RS8 and/or GS20 be more balance, since these have 'additional' drivers for Mid and Low?

If so, then that will really cover the LOW to MID to HIGH  ;D

Likely NATO a while until I sort out my PCH  :'(  :-\

There is no bass cone to mellow things out, so it will sound brighter than the floorstanders.

Tks Pete. But the most important is oso Edward's mood  ;D  Hopefully I can make myself around Roxy to chk out the alternate site  ;)

PS: Actually the space is quite BIG - the Living Room. The listening area is ard 4.5m (L to R spkrs) and sweet spot  8) is 3m to Ctr and 2.5m to Surr.

Mate you need to LISTEN and determine for yourself if the extra driver is a good thing or refinement.

That is a rather individual decision and as I mentioned in my reviews, your room size plays a very big role too.

[me=Wryer]skittles in...[/me]

Sorry to break the aura of high-end equipment here.  :P But would any past users comment on the pair of Monitor Audio Bronze 2? Its a pretty old pair of bookshelves, and my primary usage is for vocals and pop.

More important is... How would it measure up to the Usher S520, Wharfedale 9.1 etc? Basically budget sets of about $400 for a bedroom setup. Intending it to pair with a Dared MP5.

[me=Wryer]skittles out..[/me]

since the MP5 is portable, u can actually bring along for audition, try them all out.

before i got my Diamond 9.1, i audition the Ursher 520, Q Accoustics 1020 and the Primus 150.  incidentally

the 9.1 shop demo left me unimpressed, so did the 150, it was a close fight between the 520 (non piano) and the 1020, then

both was selling for the same px $380. but i did not make a decision then, reason being despite using high end amp n cdps at the shop, i did not get the wow factor.  i also hear the 520 in home demo and yes the sound is clean but yet still lack the wow factor.

i hv heard the MA Bronze sometime back, demo with CA amp, but i find the sound a little too bright for my ears.

in the end i bought the 9.1 "blind"  and i hv a match made in heaven now ;D

bottomline, its yr ears, u must like what u hear to decide,  ;)

Comparing this to Dynaudios...

I also tried Dynaudios, which were a set I owned before, and they are perfectly neutral sounding and boy do they love power… they can devour current and watts with no tomorrow and if you have a high current high wattage amp sitting around, use it to feed them. In the showroom they were driven by a Roksan Caspian, 80w pc, and already they were lovely, but if you can give them more, they will reward you with scale and a soundstage that belies the size of the bookshelves. The Focus series as its names implies gives a more focused sound, that is just more directional than the Audience SEs, which take their drivers from the Contour series. These are serious babies and I was really tempted to get them, given their even handed unburstable quality. The only chink in their armour is the rather soft and limp presentation if you do not crank them up. The large magnet drivers and woofers thrive on volume and will feel large spaces easily. Do give them room and power. The music is an image of stability and a broad even presentation. Well recommended.

Hi guys, need some help here. I've auditioned the RS1, RSLCR at Precision Audio and feel that they sounded pretty good. Initially thought of getting B&W CM1 but I find the RS1 is better in terms of price/performance factor. (Still keeping my options open). 

Read from a number of threads (including Pete's thread) and reviews that the RS series has a bright treble. I didn't really notice its brightness maybe because of the demo equipement/source and well treated listening room at Precision. However its better to be careful than sorry when choosing a receiver to pair with it.

Based on my usage (90% HT and 10% music), I'm thinking about the Pioneer VSX-LX70 and Yamaha RX-V1800 to pair with RS1, RSLCR. I was advised to audition this setup myself, but the problem is I couldn't find a shop which allows me to bring their receivers to Precision Audio for auditioning.  :( I've auditioned both receivers in different shops using other speakers. As I'm inexperience, I can't tell whether will the receivers make the RS1 sound even brighter.  :-\

Before I really commit into buying the RS1, I would like to seek/hear advises, comments, opinion, experiences from RS owners regarding a Pioneer/Yamaha receiver paired with RS. Hope you guys can help. Thanks in advance  :)