Another mini tube amp on the way

Glad u like the speaker man. Seems that it is probably the tiny allocated space in my room that causes the boomy effect from these beautiful speakers. Now my monitor audio B1 is also giving me a slight bass boom but I have stuff the form at the back port to reduce them. These speakers really is superb in finishing and sound.  :)

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad u like the speaker man. Seems that it is probably the tiny allocated space in my room that causes the boomy effect from these beautiful speakers. Now my monitor audio B1 is also giving me a slight bass boom but I have stuff the form at the back port to reduce them. These speakers really is superb in finishing and sound.  :)

Hi Sty

yes, its a lovely pair, Tks.  i hv never own a pair with Kelvar drivers (which i hv read so much on), so the sound is quite refreshing, will enjoy it, till the next itch comes along, which based on my past records is like 6 mths....lol..... ;D

hifiluv 前辈, hehe...what's the diff between a KT88 vs 6P13P? KT88 is more powerful for louder sound as you mentioned earlier?

if u go into tubes, each has its own characteristics, so u need to go and listen for urself which u like -

EL84 / 6p1 - sweet and smooth and not so dynamic

EL34 - quite balance on sweet and dynamic

6L6 / 5881 / KT66 - similiar to EL34, but personally i find them more punchy

KT88 -  powerful and dynamic, yet controlled, but burns really hot

845 / 2A3 / 300B - SET (single ended triode), again with its own characters, all also very hot tubes, no need to burn room heaters if using these,  ;D

the 6p13p has no reference becos its a MIC tube, built for MIC amp only,  but i find the sound more incline toward the 6L6 to KT88 range, tis opinion may change as i just hv the tube for 2 days only.

if u see the responds fm all the other forumers, sound is highly subjective, so no one can tell u what is right / wrong.  its up to your personally preference which will develop as u go along.

:)

if u go into tubes, each has its own characteristics, so u need to go and listen for urself which u like -

845 / 2A3 / 300B - SET (single ended triode), again with its own characters, all also very hot tubes, no need to burn room heaters if using these,  ;D

the 6p13p has no reference becos its a MIC tube, built for MIC amp only,  but i find the sound more incline toward the 6L6 to KT88 range, tis opinion may change as i just hv the tube for 2 days only.

if u see the responds fm all the other forumers, sound is highly subjective, so no one can tell u what is right / wrong.  its up to your personally preference which will develop as u go along.

:)

thanks for the clear, short and sweet description :D so the best is still, buying a pair of those and try them out right? hehe......i heard they work in pairs, so if 1 spoil must change both?

Diamond 9.1 ;D

like the simple built...kinda like art deco ;D

How do u find Wharfedale?  I ever heard a pr at Martin...think shd be the evo bookshelf.  was it close to $1k when new?  Not too impressed by it.

thanks for the clear, short and sweet description :D so the best is still, buying a pair of those and try them out right? hehe......i heard they work in pairs, so if 1 spoil must change both?

i suppose u mean the tubes, yes, usually its best to change them completely if any one is faulty,  :)

like the simple built...kinda like art deco ;D

How do u find Wharfedale?  I ever heard a pr at Martin...think shd be the evo bookshelf.  was it close to $1k when new?  Not too impressed by it.

my initial hookup i use Canare 4S11, but after a day, i found the sound a bit laid back, switch to biwire, LF using Belden 1313A and HF using Mic cable, ok, much more lively and more punch now,  ;D

Wharfedale has a few series, the Diamond is coming to 3yrs old and had raving reviews, beginning with the 9.0 and then the 9.1.  the Evo series u hv mentioned seems to target to a higer level market, and u re right, i hv seen 2nd hand models asking $8xx to $1K but i hv not heard any one of them to make a comment (the px already put me off,  :P, at tat px range, got many other options)

ytd, did 2 hours straight listening for the setup, as i went on, i found sound to be "too big" and "to much in ur face", so i played around with swapping speaker wires, going for Belden 8473 but still biwire.  but still find sound a little over whelming.  tis was  smiliar to the experience when i had the KEF Cresta II and was trying out the Cayin MT12 or Consonance M100Plus as a bedroom setup, the sound is just too over powering for prolong listening.  i eventually swap the Diamond back for the Jamo E500 satellite speakers, resulting in sufficient details but not heavy handed sound. 

but i bua kam guang, so i decided to experiment some more, i found that single wire to the Diamond tamed the sound quite a lot and what i heard is sweet, clear, liquid sound without the overpowering sensation.

so sty's comments about the Diamond 9.1 being boomy in bedroom setup is quite valid.  my observation is tat the speaker is design to throw a rather big sound, to create more presence but for a 4x3 room, tis can become counter productive.

used tis CD a tester, wah sei, the new sound is just amazing, the last track is an instrumental with just drums, bass and  electric guitar, but the clarity and realism is so startling, the snare and high hat of the drum sound took a big jump. n the vocals tracks, u can sense the emotions from the voices, just shiok lah.... ;D

Guys any tube amp within this budget?

Preferably with a bit higher output and more than one input

ebay items are fine, so long as the total cost is within my bduget

thanks

I will use either a Usher or MO rs 1 to drive them

Thanks

Hi, i had just acquired a MP5 from a fellow forumer  ;D and am looking for a pair of speakers to match it.

May i know how does the Usher520 and MA RS1(or  Bronze BR2)  fare on the MP5?  ???

I have a thread on this why not read it - search for it bro

I used MA RS and Ushers, your questions are answered there

Hi, i had just acquired a MP5 from a fellow forumer  ;D and am looking for a pair of speakers to match it.

May i know how does the Usher520 and MA RS1(or  Bronze BR2)  fare on the MP5?  ???

Nice comparison. Close to my sentiments from my experience with my previous amps (EL84 and EL34). Other than different characteristics between tubes, different brands of the same tube type can sound different, E.g. JJ EL84 more open, Ei EL84 rich bass. (I've gotten an addiction for tube rolling after I learnt that I can tweak the sound of my amps by changing tubes ;) ;D)

I find the 6CA7 variant of the EL34 slightly more balanced the EL34.

Spot-on on the 6L6. I acquired a 6L6 tube amp recently.  Balanced, dynamic and punchy. Thus an excellent all-rounder tube.

I have never felt that the 2A3s are very hot tubes. To me they are just like the other tubes. But the 845 are very big tubes and really like heat emiiters. Just MHO :D

Guys any tube amp within this budget?

Preferably with a bit higher output and more than one input

ebay items are fine, so long as the total cost is within my bduget

thanks

I will use either a Usher or MO rs 1 to drive them

Thanks

Not much choice with the budget.

1) KT88 amp from ebay. 15watts/ch with 2 inputs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/SINCE-MUSIC-KT88-TUBE-AMPLIFIER-BLACK_W0QQitemZ280148907169QQihZ018QQcategoryZ3280QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

2) Dared VP-16 using 6V6 tubes. 18watts/ch with 3 inputs.

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/dared2/vp16.html

Since Dared has a distributor in Singapore, why not bring your speakers to the distributor place to audition (that is if you drive). Together with MP5's accolades here and my experience with the VP-20, I find Dared products are pretty good value.

Disclaimer: I am in no relation to the Dared distributor  ;D

just to give u guys an update on the 6p13p mini amp.

i had 4 days of playing for 4-5 hours each nite.  tonite, the sound really breaks in.

the imaging is just out of this world man, i have a soundstage not only with width but with depth, i hv a spatial sonic image where i can actually "see" the various instruments in front and behind. the best part is for duet, i find hear the 2 singers distinctly like they are standing next to each other.  really fantastic man.

the last time i had such sharp imaging was when i had the Cayin MT12, even the Consonance M100Plus did not come close.

also i solved the boom problem by running a single cable, Belden 1313A connecting to LF connectors and using Belden 8473 strips as jumpers, the clarity took a jump compared to when i was using the stock metallic jumpers. so now i hv bass but not boom.... ;D

after 4 days, i can safely say that this 6p13p mini amp peformance far outweights the aria 6p1 / EL84 amp.  for the $, i would go for this one. there are all together 3 models, KT88, 6p13p and EL34, u can chk it out a Richton site.

Hifiluv, its known as voicing. As now you'd know, a no brand name can beat your branded Conso EL34s. Its not only the tube as in 300B or what.  Its everything, the caps, OPT, topo, power supply, choke, etc.

You *need* to listen to the Balanced SET Almarros and be poisoned further!

the last time i had such sharp imaging was when i had the Cayin MT12, even the Consonance M100Plus did not come close.