Any ideas at what these tonearms are

Picked these up today and I was hoping one might be good enough to match up with a Garrard 401.

The black one needs a cable so need to find out where I can get one.

20210208_190932.jpg

• Like 1

The silver one does look like a Rega RB200 (as per the hand written note ?) .  Dunno about t'other one.  Decibel Hifi might be a potential source for tonearm cables.

Otherwise Jason, the Turntable Doctor, can do full rewires.  But as @Pops110 said, best to contact Jason by email and be patient.

Churs

2B

Edited by 2Brix

2 hours ago, Wimbo said:

The silver one looks like an Acos Lustre...

Despite "Acos Lustre" being written on the hand-written note, the silver arm's not a Lustre.  Here is a pic of one (take from a SNA classified).  Not all of them came with the sled base.

A1.jpg

Edited by audiofeline
  • Like 1

I would think the suggestion of the silver coloured arm being an R200 is closer than Acos.

I believe Acos did in fact make the R200 before Rega started building their own arms.

link to vinyl engine https://www.vinylengine.com/library/rega/r200.shtml

Edited by Batty

Hello folks, the black arm is definitely a Jelco SA 250 and the silver arm looks to me to be a Rega R200, but I would be certain if I could see the anti skate adjustment, which appears to be obscured by the Jelco arm.:thumb:

Cheers,

Keith

To answer your question, the Rega R200, the silver arm, would be better than the black Jelco, for your Garrard 401. The Rega R200 assuming it is in good nick can handle midpriced moving coils and more expensive MM cartridges better. It also has the standard SME headshell fitting, which makes cartridge changes easy. The Jelco is a real budget offering, not worth fitting to the 401 in my view.

BTW the Jelco SA250ST tonearm pictured is sought after by Lenco L75 owners as it is the least expensive of the few tonearms that will replace the stock tonearm without serious modification of the base plate.

If I was still in Perth I'd be interested for mine ?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, audiofeline said:

Despite "Acos Lustre" being written on the hand-written note, the silver arm's not a Lustre.  Here is a pic of one (take from a SNA classified).  Not all of them came with the sled base.

A1.jpg

If its not an Acos Lustre , it could also be an early Jelco maybe. I thought they made the RB200.

On 09/02/2021 at 3:06 PM, zenikoy said:

BTW the Jelco SA250ST tonearm pictured is sought after by Lenco L75 owners as it is the least expensive of the few tonearms that will replace the stock tonearm without serious modification of the base plate.

If I was still in Perth I'd be interested for mine ?

Don't tell us you left beautiful Perth for Covid riddled Switzerland!?

7 hours ago, OLLY said:

I'm looking for a good 12" tonearm.  Wouldn't have anything like that would you.

Hi Olly,

No I dont, I have a 12 inch Jelco on my Commonwealth which if you can get one I think is a great option. I will keep my eyes open for you as always looking for turntable stuff.

Chris

• Like 1

Maybe you should start making a nice 12" tonearm. 

Are you anywhete near Yungaburra (hope I  spelt it correctly).  Kerrys cousin lives at the top of the Gillies H'way.  Magic location.

51 minutes ago, OLLY said:

Maybe you should start making a nice 12" tonearm. 

Are you anywhete near Yungaburra (hope I  spelt it correctly).  Kerrys cousin lives at the top of the Gillies H'way.  Magic location.

Yes not far away at all. Ravenshoe is in the cooler Tablelands. Making arms is something I have been planning to do, I have designed the basics, but lack of time with retipping and other projects. I found the bearings etc and I plan to do an air arm and also something similar to a Jelco, but need more hours in the day :) Need to got onto it though as going to need a new arm soon :)

Chris

If you make 12" I might be interested in trying one.

Kerrys uncle owned Marshs Furniture Store in Mulgrave Road, Cairns.  Not sure when they sold out.  Loved visiting and going on the furniture truck delivering to people all over the place, loved the Atherton Tablelands the most.  Ahhhh, they were the days.

Joe

May have found a suitable carton so I'll try to pack tables and see if it suits.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, OLLY said:

If you make 12" I might be interested in trying one.

Kerrys uncle owned Marshs Furniture Store in Mulgrave Road, Cairns.  Not sure when they sold out.  Loved visiting and going on the furniture truck delivering to people all over the place, loved the Atherton Tablelands the most.  Ahhhh, they were the days.

Joe

May have found a suitable carton so I'll try to pack tables and see if it suits.

I will send one for appraisal when I get it done. Thinking to do air air arm first as actually easier to do.

Air arm is a lot easier to make and yes it has limitations (effective mass vertical and horizontal) but it fixes a whole host of other issues too . My design is higher pressure with angle aluminium bearings with holes and air and a short arm to keep effective mass down. If done correctly it will be cheap to make.

Chris

5 hours ago, OLLY said:

Love your enthusiasm, wish I had your talent

Thanks,

Just love hifi and I am manual so make stuff :)

A good air arm is the Eminent Technology, often older ones come up on ebay quite cheap and a bit of modding makes them amazing well worth considering if you only use one cart (pain in the butt to change a cart on a Eminent.)

Chris

Edited by cafe latte