IcePower ASC300 Amp

DQ828

I’ve finally had the time to get my son's amp underway. I have had a lot of success using the IcePower amp modules so I am using the ASC300 - AC300 combo for his amp. I have just reconfigured his Korg Preamp and the 24V PSU for it will be in this amp. I would definitely have built the Korg differently if I knew then what I know now! This amp will control the pre as well. He will be able to turn this amp on via the button or via a Bluetooth app, probably easier to just press the button  The turn on and off will be sequenced using a Arduino Nano to avoid the snap crackle pop. The case will be made from Switchpanel X that will be sprayed with the usual texture coat and Brown-Bronze automotive paint. The trims and veneers will be from Red Sirus which has been my favorite timber for some year now. I like the Switchpanel X material but it is terrible on cutters! I drew the case using Fusion 360 and us it to produce the code for the CNC.

Today was very frustrating, lots of hours and just as many issues. I lost the center pieces from the 4-P-A-P (the text I engraved) and had to spend some considerable time supergluing tiny pieces of veneer in and redoing the engraving, I was amazed it worked!

20210103_122051.thumb.jpg.2d83e071c26001f816679aa54f0715c5.jpg

Amp Front.JPG

Amp Back.JPG

20210103_143741.jpg

20210103_154412.jpg

20210103_122114.jpg

20210103_122133.jpg

20200927_183606.jpg

• Like 3

Wow. that is real skill engraving and the wooden box looks sensational. Love your work..?

May I ask how you engraved on wooden board? Please do not tell me you used engraving pen to write all those letters with hand. ?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DQ828 said:

I’ve finally had the time to get my son's amp underway. I have had a lot of success using the IcePower amp modules so I am using the ASC300 - AC300 combo for his amp. I have just reconfigured his Korg Preamp and the 24V PSU for it will be in this amp. I would definitely have built the Korg differently if I knew then what I know now! This amp will control the pre as well. He will be able to turn this amp on via the button or via a Bluetooth app, probably easier to just press the button  The turn on and off will be sequenced using a Arduino Nano to avoid the snap crackle pop. The case will be made from Switchpanel X that will be sprayed with the usual texture coat and Brown-Bronze automotive paint. The trims and veneers will be from Red Sirus which has been my favorite timber for some year now. I like the Switchpanel X material but it is terrible on cutters! I drew the case using Fusion 360 and us it to produce the code for the CNC.

Today was very frustrating, lots of hours and just as many issues. I lost the center pieces from the 4-P-A-P (the text I engraved) and had to spend some considerable time supergluing tiny pieces of veneer in and redoing the engraving, I was amazed it worked!

20210103_122051.thumb.jpg.2d83e071c26001f816679aa54f0715c5.jpg

Amp Front.JPG

Amp Back.JPG

20210103_143741.jpg

20210103_154412.jpg

20210103_122114.jpg

20210103_122133.jpg

20200927_183606.jpg

Lumber and audio electronics. Good. 

• Like 1

This is really beautiful work and I admire your skill.

There is however another reason apart from cost why amps - and stage amps in particular - are made from metal.

It is to keep amp's interference from coming out it and for the amp itself be more immune from interference trying to come in.

I would perhaps line the inside of the box with some copper sheeting.

8 hours ago, rockeater said:

This is really beautiful work and I admire your skill.

There is however another reason apart from cost why amps - and stage amps in particular - are made from metal.

It is to keep amp's interference from coming out it and for the amp itself be more immune from interference trying to come in.

I would perhaps line the inside of the box with some copper sheeting.

Thats what I did with the Preamp but I'm going to see how this goes first!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DQ828 said:

I used the CNC I built, best thing I ever made

20200712_193430[1].jpg

Yeah, well I did just whip up a mass spectrometer in the cricket lunch break.......

Seriously, this insanely impressive to someone who struggles hit a nail straight.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, RoHo said:

Yeah, well I did just whip up a mass spectrometer in the cricket lunch break.......

Seriously, this insanely impressive to someone who struggles hit a nail straight.

It's amazing what can be achieved if you close your eye's and just go for it :)

Made some progress, the case is almost ready for a test assemble. I usually get the whole thing working before I disassemble and paint the case just to make sure I dont need any extra holes :)

Parts.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/02/2021 at 8:31 PM, DQ828 said:

Ground to a halt for the moment, turning my life upsidedown for a couple of months then hopefully I'll get back to it.

Hopefully all is okay at your end mate. 

Thanks for posting as this has given me a few ideas for my build which I am currently sourcing parts for and especially ideas on the case itself. I'm glad others are also working with wood. However working with wood is new to me so it will be a challenge.

Take care