JVC N5 VS EPSON 9400 UPGRADE (FROM PANASONIC PTAE8000)

On 09/11/2020 at 8:59 AM, SUPEROX said:

Hi @Johnny_Boy & all,

I set it up yesterday...and even if I am using my PTAE8000, the change is almost like getting a new projector!  The movement is smoother and clarity (can be a bit too clear) on some TV show.  So great advice SNA team!!!

The interesting thing that I would like to know is the 1080/60 and 1080/59.3  1080/24....blah blah...  and those funny numbers with 4:2:2 and 4:4;4 (reminded me of the horrible differential equation when I was in uni!

My question is if I am watching a movie (do I switch to 1080/30 ?) and if I watch a telenovela ..such as Narco (do I switch to 1080/24 ?

Enjoying the overall speed and ease....hope for some feedback!

Glad you're enjoying the shield. i'm hoping to pick one up soon myself. 

As for what settings to run, it really depends. (like everything in this hobby)

Assuming you have a 4k TV/projector

Either 4k/24 or 4k/60. There are very few 4k titles running at 60 frames a second (Gemini Man is one i can think of), but its a real wow moment watching a 4k/60 film for the first time. A bit jarring if im honest. But if you have it set for 60fps it means you dont need to mess with anything when 60fps content comes up.  

For the colour space, if your in 4k/24, go with 4:4:4 12-bit and that maxing it out. If your in 4k/60, you cant quite get the same sub sampling/colour bit rate. Its a compromise. You have a few options.

- 4k/60 12-bit 4:2:0

- 4k/60, 12-bit 4:2:2

- 4k/60, 8-bit 4:4:4.

With movies they are all going to look great, and i would be surprised if you can tell the difference. If you are going to be using a PC hooked up the 4:4:4 will have clearer text but thats about it. I have mine set to 4:2:2 as that maxes out the 18Gbps hdmi cable i have (17.82Gbps)

Lots of numbers to digest. 

Edited by Johnny_Boy
  • Haha 1

Hello @Johnny_Boy & @CustomHT

The projector arrived in perfect condition!

I did an initial set up.... and coming from a lover of hifi....  it is hard to put to work being a video-fi ... addict but let us say watching from this projector has really made you dont want to leave the screen....  I did two major changes on my set up....  First, the change to Nvidia.... made my previous PTAE8000 POP! in a positive way... but coupled with the new 9400.... I can even watch movies with lights on at eco mode...

The next thing I will learn is how to set up these calibration thing...

But will send some photos later....

I am really happy....and looking forward to my grey screen soon...  At the moment. I am using an elite screen AT and i noticed at some point a screen door effect... (which I did not notice much with the PTAE8000)... could it be the sharpness of the 9400 demanded a better quality projector screen....  so  my next screen will not be an acoustic transparent (AT).. just a grey one from Screen Technics!

Looking forward to your feedback.... you guys have been awesome!!!  I am getting late doing my tax return because of this!!

• Like 3

Hello Guys , @flamjam & @Johnny_Boy

some of the first photo.  Been watching "Chambers" on Netflix on 4K using a 110 inch scope AT projector screen (Elite screen..)

I have to say the sharpness and creaminess just balanced out so beautifully.

The only thing I notice is that you can see the "woven pattern"  on white colour scene more than my panasonic PTAE8000.  Could this be a result of the extreme clarity ?

I hope hoping to get a better quality screen and hopefully it should bring this into another level...

But so far it really makes you get absorb into the movies.

You can see the sharpness and yet not distracted by it. (similar analogy to tube sounding but not flabby on bass!).

That is my favourite setting so far.

Hope people can comment on my setting and give some recommendation...

Thanks...and good night..

IMG_5440.JPG

IMG_5439.JPG

On 09/11/2020 at 8:59 AM, SUPEROX said:

Hi @Johnny_Boy & all,

I set it up yesterday...and even if I am using my PTAE8000, the change is almost like getting a new projector!  The movement is smoother and clarity (can be a bit too clear) on some TV show.  So great advice SNA team!!!

The interesting thing that I would like to know is the 1080/60 and 1080/59.3  1080/24....blah blah...  and those funny numbers with 4:2:2 and 4:4;4 (reminded me of the horrible differential equation when I was in uni!

My question is if I am watching a movie (do I switch to 1080/30 ?) and if I watch a telenovela ..such as Narco (do I switch to 1080/24 ?

Enjoying the overall speed and ease....hope for some feedback!

Hi again mate,

Have also been toying around with the shield and one thing you may wish to try out regarding frame rates is the following:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/support/shield-tv/match-frame-rate/

Good luck!

Edited by Black Label
  • Like 1