Speakers for a tube amp

Hi,

im looking for some speakers that will work well with a cayin a88t amp in a small 10m2 room. I’m currently using sonus faber Cremona auditors (original not Ms) that have a fairly relaxed and lush sound, and I like the type of sound the speakers produce.  I’m enjoying using the triode mode (and not so much in ultra linear) with my amp but I can tell it’s just a tad underpowered at around at 24w. 

so any suggestions for something that will go well with this amp, room size, and has similarish sound?

thanks in advance!

• Volunteer
18 minutes ago, Irek said:

Speakers have higher impact on sound quality than amplifier. Maybe you should try differen amplifiers? 

Agree

The SF Cremonas Auditors are wonderful speakers, you really ought to find an amp that plays nicely with them rather than the other way around

• Like 2

Thanks for this advice. Yep they are nice speakers, and I haven’t really ventured into tube amp territory and liking what tubes ‘do’ with speakers/signal. Planning on keeping the cremonas for the moment and wanting to try some high sensitivity speakers, and see what it’s like with my tube amp. So any suggestions are welcomed. 

25 minutes ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

Agree

The SF Cremonas Auditors are wonderful speakers, you really ought to find an amp that plays nicely with them rather than the other way around

A quality SS amp may do better. Tubes like more efficient speakers say better than 90db efficient. After saying that keep the tuber and seek high efficient speakers. You may lose the lush sound though. Zu speakers though a little large may be a god start. But I’m assuming they will lean to the bright side but plenty of volume.

• Volunteer
6 minutes ago, tommy100 said:

Thanks for this advice. Yep they are nice speakers, and I haven’t really ventured into tube amp territory and liking what tubes ‘do’ with speakers/signal. Planning on keeping the cremonas for the moment and wanting to try some high sensitivity speakers, and see what it’s like with my tube amp. So any suggestions are welcomed. 

makes sense.

What sort of budget are you looking at for high sensitivity speakers?

58 minutes ago, tommy100 said:

https://www.osbornloudspeakers.com.au/eos

47 minutes ago, tommy100 said:

$2k new or used. Thanks. 

I enjoy My Custom built Ascension 3 way stand Mounts ($1650) 91.5 DB more than the $8,500 Martin Logan Electrostatics they replaced. Amazed that something built here at 20 % the cost was an improvement ( wonderfully relaxed yet great detail).. That said, if they were imported they'd be $4000 or so I'd imagine. 

IMG_20200905_082133.jpg

IMG_20200905_082059.jpg

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Sceeta said:

Have a look at Edward's valve series. They may be right up your alley. Great guy to deal with and a fantastic product for the money. I don't have this particular model but have several of his others. Definitely in your budget.

http://www.adelaidespeakers.com/valve.html

This guy has been around for a long time. Could be the way to go. 

• Like 1

Also appreciate the Aussie manufacturers list posted. Definitely the way to go particularly the way the economy is as the moment. I discovered that duntechs are assembled not far from me in Sydney, so I gave them a ring. Although I didn’t buy anything I spent a few hours with Kiat, who measured the response of my existing speakers, and he gave me some pointers on speaker positioning and room treatment based on my room setup. Was great stuff. 

On 06/10/2020 at 9:30 AM, tommy100 said:

Hi,

im looking for some speakers that will work well with a cayin a88t amp in a small 10m2 room. I’m currently using sonus faber Cremona auditors (original not Ms) that have a fairly relaxed and lush sound, and I like the type of sound the speakers produce.  I’m enjoying using the triode mode (and not so much in ultra linear) with my amp but I can tell it’s just a tad underpowered at around at 24w. 

so any suggestions for something that will go well with this amp, room size, and has similarish sound?

thanks in advance!

Cayin/Spark are pretty darn good amplifiers. 

I understand your preference for 'triode' mode. I had a MingDa MC34AB for several years and preferred that in triode (40 watts, 75U/L). That was until

1) I found the tube line up that suited my ears and system (I also prefer a laid back sound).

2) I did a capacitor upgrade. The caps inside were better than 'cheap', but rolling higher quality ones made a very noticeable difference.  see below

If I can be bold to suggest, (it may be over your budget), but,  my now reserve amps (then were my 'listening' amps) a pair of TRI (triode corp of Japan) M88SE monoblocks.  They are 50watts and even though pentode/U/L? they were smoother and sweeter than the MingDa in 'triode'. Caveat, once the 34ab had been modded it ran a bloody close second for a lot less dosh.

I think your Cayin hot rodded would surprise you in U/L. But otherwise those wee TRI's are an absolute beauty. (Only reason I don't use them as main is I run a pair of VTA M125 monoblocks which have been 'cap upgraded' with Obligato's). But seriously thinking of using the TRI's with my KEF concerto's once the X overs have been replaced as the 'bedroom' system.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0507/triode_trv_m88_se.htm

https://www.stereonet.co.uk/reviews/review-triode-trv-m88se-mono-vacuum-tube-amplifiers

@tommy100 i think the Adelaide speakers are certainly excellent value for sound/money. I have been using Monitor Audio RS6 for 15yrs, now have a tube amp, 8wpc, the MA RS6 are 91db/w/m( 89.5db/w/m stereophile tested) and are more than loud enough, when lock down is over i will take my amp to Adelaide to try on his valve series speakers, have never heard of a bad review, rarely seen second hand, says it all 

• Like 1