Cambridge CXN V2 or Bluesound Node 2i paired with external DAC?

I’m really happy with the Node 2i, but I really want to try Dirac. If there is a deal on the 658 this November I think it’ll be too hard to resist. 

I’m seeing a lot of positive comments about BluOS. Maybe I’m doing something wrong, but I haven’t opened the app since setting up my Node. I spend all my time in the Spotify app when streaming. 

Just now, Wood said:

I’m really happy with the Node 2i, but I really want to try Dirac. If there is a deal on the 658 this November I think it’ll be too hard to resist. 

I’m seeing a lot of positive comments about BluOS. Maybe I’m doing something wrong, but I haven’t opened the app since setting up my Node. I spend all my time in the Spotify app when streaming. 

Exciting!

The Spotify app is fantastic I've heard. I would probably use it as a control if I had it; why use two apps? I don't know how BluOS compares to the native Spotify app though.

If I had a black system setup I would've considered the C658 more closely due to Dirac.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone here got some thoughts on how to think about an external DAC purchase considering my current equipment?

Sources: Bluesound Node 2i, Cambridge CXC CD transport
Cambridge CXA60 amp

Dynaudio Emit M20 bookshelf speakers

I'm tossing up between a Denafrips Ares II and the new Gieseler Kompakt DAC. At this price point I really want to maximise my purchase and ensure it matches my components. It seems both have a warm quality with expansive soundstage - which is exactly what I'm after. Anyone here have the Ares II and any of the components I mentioned above?

I use it with my Denafrips Ares II and am very happy.  I tried the pontus and it was also great but for me lacked a bit of warmth of the AresII and sounded closer to my Oppo 205.  So I went with the Ares II have not once regretted it.  I use the Oppo 205 a lot also but find that works really well for a different type of listening session.

I'd love to try the Topping D90 one day too..

Geisler very popular but havent tried one myself but there is a lot members on the forum that have this as their go to.

Schiit very well regarded too etc.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 08Boss302 said:

I use it with my Denafrips Ares II and am very happy.  I tried the pontus and it was also great but for me lacked a bit of warmth of the AresII and sounded closer to my Oppo 205.  So I went with the Ares II have not once regretted it.  I use the Oppo 205 a lot also but find that works really well for a different type of listening session.

I'd love to try the Topping D90 one day too..

Geisler very popular but havent tried one myself but there is a lot members on the forum that have this as their go to.

Schiit very well regarded too etc.

@08Boss302 Do you mean you use the Ares with the Node 2i? :) 

Tough choice between this and the local and formidable Gieseler DAC. Thanks for your comment!

1 minute ago, nowallet said:

@08Boss302 Do you mean you use the Ares with the Node 2i? :) 

Tough choice between this and the local and formidable Gieseler DAC. Thanks for your comment!

That's correct mate, I use the Ares II with the node 2i as well as the the Oppo 205 with the node 2i.

Haven't had the chance to listen to the geisler units but it's a DAC that also rarely receives negative comments especially on these forums.  The owner is also a top person, when I was looking at DACs I had a great conversation with him about his units my oppo and what I was looking at. 

I think between the denafrips, geisler, schïit and the list goes on if you are in the same comparative price range alot of subjectivity on what's best etc will creep in. 

Try audition a few if you can... 

7 minutes ago, 08Boss302 said:

That's correct mate, I use the Ares II with the node 2i as well as the the Oppo 205 with the node 2i.

Haven't had the chance to listen to the geisler units but it's a DAC that also rarely receives negative comments especially on these forums.  The owner is also a top person, when I was looking at DACs I had a great conversation with him about his units my oppo and what I was looking at. 

I think between the denafrips, geisler, schïit and the list goes on if you are in the same comparative price range alot of subjectivity on what's best etc will creep in. 

Try audition a few if you can... 

Thanks!

Don't think an audition will happen anytime soon with this Melbourne lockdown so I will take a chance after digging into the sound of each one a little further.

Cheers :)

29 minutes ago, nowallet said:

Thanks!

Don't think an audition will happen anytime soon with this Melbourne lockdown so I will take a chance after digging into the sound of each one a little further.

Cheers :)

Haha, yep I'm in Melbourne too and know what you mean... 

Speak to @dacman for denafrips. Top guy and the Aust seller and he's in Melbourne 

Edited by 08Boss302
  • Haha 1

On 13/10/2020 at 10:11 AM, nowallet said:

Anyone here got some thoughts on how to think about an external DAC purchase considering my current equipment?

Sources: Bluesound Node 2i, Cambridge CXC CD transport
Cambridge CXA60 amp

Dynaudio Emit M20 bookshelf speakers

I'm tossing up between a Denafrips Ares II and the new Gieseler Kompakt DAC. At this price point I really want to maximise my purchase and ensure it matches my components. It seems both have a warm quality with expansive soundstage - which is exactly what I'm after. Anyone here have the Ares II and any of the components I mentioned above?

Can't speak on the other devices, but I used to run a Node 2i with a Gieseler Klein III dac/kraftwerk psu. The sound quality improved big time. Just more of everything - sound stage, warmth/mids, vocals popped and the highs were so clear and detailed. Basically everything felt a tad more real. I would like to think that the Kompact takes this up a notch, being the latest. Only problem is finding stock :)

Plenty of options re. dacs definitely try and audition first. Good luck!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 27/09/2020 at 1:36 PM, nowallet said:

The CXN v2 is tempting but then I haven't explored separate components so a Node 2i and an external DAC has me curious. The latter is likely the path I'll choose. 

I don't even know if the sound quality difference will be noticeable with the CXA60 amp and Dynaudio M20s I own.

Does the CXA60 amp power they Dynaudio M20s ok?

asking because the dynaudios are 4ohm 150w

My CXA60 drives my ma bronze 6 just fine. 

How loud can you play without distortion?

Edited by terrys999
More questions

6 hours ago, terrys999 said:

Does the CXA60 amp power they Dynaudio M20s ok?

asking because the dynaudios are 4ohm 150w

My CXA60 drives my ma bronze 6 just fine. 

How loud can you play without distortion?

The cxa60 does OK but when you jump up to the cxa80 you realise you were missing out a bit. 

The m20 will also improve a bit more if you move to a better amp than the cambridge units

Guest dr_carl

I'm happy with my inexpensive DAC between my Node 2 and my tube amp feeding my speakers. A $180 bargain. To get me to spend more will require significant improvement in SQ. Except my SQ now is very good, so I'm not motivated.

My library is on a HDD via USB into the Node. No format drama, nothing negative at all.

Spotify you access via the Spotify app and also Tidal the same. Bluos for playing files.

I was happy with no external DAC for a long time. Only bought the one I  have as an experiment. Immediately sold all others this is so good. I  am a firm believer in Chinese DAC tech now.  I have heard others much more expensive that did not sound better to me, so I'm staying as is for now.