Which Kind of Blue Pressing? (mono)

The Japanese 2020 Mono pressing is a excellent and dead silent.  Even though it likely came from the same digital source as the 2013 RSD mono seems to be more “earthy” if I can use that word?  I don’t mean muddy just clarity is there plus the analogue sound.

haven’t managed a true A/B 

would be interesting to also dig out my Mofi Stereo recording to

22 hours ago, Demondes said:

The Japanese 2020 Mono pressing is a excellent and dead silent.  Even though it likely came from the same digital source as the 2013 RSD mono seems to be more “earthy” if I can use that word?  I don’t mean muddy just clarity is there plus the analogue sound.

haven’t managed a true A/B 

would be interesting to also dig out my Mofi Stereo recording to

My understanding is that the RSD is an analogue remaster?

I read the Michael Fremer article and took away from it that it was all analogue, though on re-reading the article he doesn't actually specify whether it is or not. It seems that it may not be after all (and we are not the first to wonder). That said, it sounds great, whatever its provenence!

https://www.vinylcut.net/a62-miles-davis/m108-kind-of-blue/v203

• 3 weeks later...

Keen to hear your impressions. I've the MFSL 45 which I am still a bit on the fence with.  No doubt it has immense detail and tonally it is just spot on but I find the way certain instruments "pop out" of the soundstage quite disconcerting at times.  I think a good mono version might be just what I need.  

11 minutes ago, Viognier said:

Keen to hear your impressions. I've the MFSL 45 which I am still a bit on the fence with.  No doubt it has immense detail and tonally it is just spot on but I find the way certain instruments "pop out" of the soundstage quite disconcerting at times.  I think a good mono version might be just what I need.  

You have one mate..  Sitting at my place.  Grabbed a few for us NTTr's

3 hours ago, Billy Shears said:

Finally - all are arrived!

TY all for your help - I’m very happy with the split of versions.

A00AC6C6-9C6E-44A2-948F-4EC5A7BDBB2F.jpeg

nice.  I've heard but don't own the Classic Records.  Value wise, hard to beat the mono 

1 hour ago, Viognier said:

The BIG caveat here is that my digital system falls short of analogue  (as tested doing a quality vinyl rip, and then playing it back and A/B testing). I don’t have an SACD player either, so so far the MoFi gets a pass.

Classic is my favourite. My research tells me they wanted to make a perfect version of the original stereo release, and I think they achieved it. It sounds like a mint pressing of a ‘50s/‘60s record.

The MoFi is stunning, and sounds ‘cleaner’, but I see what people mean about bass boom. It’s more like remaking the album with today’s technology rather than recreating a perfect ‘50s version. Once I upgrade the DAC I’ll revisit it heavily. I didn’t want a 45 4LP version, it’s not the sort of album I want to get up for that much. It also means it will be my go to version during the day. Whether it ends up being IMO slightly better or slightly worse than the Classic, I think it will be negligible. I do have the HD tracks version, which is identical to the Qobuz version, and it s***s all over that - it’s not even close.

The mono is clearly stunning value for money, and I get a mono version that the peeps in the know (Fremmer) say is better than anything but the first press (which is not in my price range for a flawless playing copy).

So, so far the Classic wins on the ‘glass of red, chill out’ listen, MoFi is likely to be the ‘critical’ listening version and the day to day player. The mono will be great for ‘mono nights’ - which sometimes it’s really nice not to be listening for the soundstage.

Edited by Guest

13 minutes ago, Viognier said:

How cool is that.  I just think about it and  it turns up at your place. 

I’d be thinking very hard about a sealed UK mono 1st press of Pepper...

23 minutes ago, Billy Shears said:

I’d be thinking very hard about a sealed UK mono 1st press of Pepper...

might have needed to think of that one 20 years ago today................  ;)   (I'm here all week)