Which headphones are best for under 1500

Hmm, just did a frequency sweep test last night and at about 70% volume, below 35hz there is a really obvious vibration sound on the left can, sounds like a something is loose. tried on my other set of headphones and its not there. So pretty sure its faulty. I called them to check if they've given me a 'B-stock' but its not, will be taking back to them tomorrow. They sounded un-willing to swap it over but to send it for repairs, is this normal with A2A?

Try this track and tell me what you hear. Blade Runner 2049 soundtrack - Track 1 - 2049

I think you will be referring to clipping which is common on some frequencies. 

38 minutes ago, elisix_ said:

Try this track and tell me what you hear. Blade Runner 2049 soundtrack - Track 1 - 2049

I think you will be referring to clipping which is common on some frequencies. 

Still hear that clicking/virabting sound on my left can whenever the bass hits. Even straightaway at 0:01 with the first note of drum

Yeh going back there tomorrow.

There was a Hugo 2 on classified a few hours ago for 1700 (real cheap), I contacted him for pick up tonight and he gave me an address that is 6hrs away but never replied after that, the ad then has been taken down. Not sure what's the deal?

2 hours ago, elisix_ said:

A friend messaged him and smelled a rat.

I believe someone transferred him funds.

This is really off topic so I won’t comment further.

As a general reminder. Don't bank transfer anyone, anything. And if you paypal and they aren't trustworthy (i.e. good SNA feedback), then use the goods and services option and pay the extra 3%, then ENSURE they ship it to your registered Paypal address for the account you paid with. Also proof they have the item is nice, like do reverse image searches, or ask them to write your name on some paper and take a photo with the item.

Edited by Bengineer

So I took the Elegia back, they tested it and agreed it was faulty, then we tested the demo one and it was more severe than mine. They refused to refund but to give store credit instead. Really got me questioning how many cans out there are affected? most people wont even notice as most track do not go down that low and requires near max volume to pick out. Ah what a crappy experience with my first headphones, going back to speakers hence-selling my hugo 2

1 hour ago, MAST88 said:

So I took the Elegia back, they tested it and agreed it was faulty, then we tested the demo one and it was more severe than mine. They refused to refund but to give store credit instead. Really got me questioning how many cans out there are affected? most people wont even notice as most track do not go down that low and requires near max volume to pick out. Ah what a crappy experience with my first headphones, going back to speakers hence-selling my hugo 2

Yes. It's also knowledge widely out there for Focals. A driver protection clipping feature, and driver rattle.

People also don't buy Hifiman over quality issues.

$500 grab a Sundara, or HD660S, or a THX00 Ebony or or or or

2 hours ago, MAST88 said:

So I took the Elegia back, they tested it and agreed it was faulty, then we tested the demo one and it was more severe than mine. They refused to refund but to give store credit instead.

Under Australian Consumer Law you are entitled to a refund. I can't believe retailers are still pulling this crap especially as they agreed it was faulty.

Stand up for your rights mate.

• Like 1

• Administrator
On 09/07/2020 at 1:14 PM, MAST88 said:

They sounded un-willing to swap it over but to send it for repairs, is this normal with A2A?

Yes, A2A's after sales service and warranty is in stark contrast to their exceptional pre-sale customer service. I've been hearing this more and more and lately.

Check out Minidisc.com.au - Wing and staff bend over backwards for customers and are happy to look after SN members too.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Marc said:

Yes, A2A's after sales service and warranty is in stark contrast to their exceptional pre-sale customer service. I've been hearing this more and more and lately.

Check out Minidisc.com.au - Wing and staff bend over backwards for customers and are happy to look after SN members too.

Ah I see, good to know, thanks Marc will give them a try ??

Minidisc may bend over backwards to help, though i'm yet to have a need to experience this myself, but their 21 day money back policy is riddled with inconsistencies. OP, if you weren't happy you should have insisted on the refund. There is absolutely no way they can refuse a refund on faulty items. 

3 hours ago, elisix_ said:

Minidisc may bend over backwards to help, though i'm yet to have a need to experience this myself, but their 21 day money back policy is riddled with inconsistencies. OP, if you weren't happy you should have insisted on the refund. There is absolutely no way they can refuse a refund on faulty items. 

I didn’t bother, they did offered the next closed back up which is the Stellia and I honestly didnt want to spend that on my first set of cans to just temporary use it during my son’s new born stage, so I took the same Elegia back. Oh well 

5 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

Just take it back and get a refund, then go buy these;

https://www.storedj.com.au/akg-k371-over-ear-closed-back-foldable-studio-headphones

Tuning and timbre are the most important aspects of a headphone.

Nah ill keep them. Those AKG looks interesting, the 90* folding might work for my DJ gig, pulled out the set couple of weeks ago and my HDJ-2000 was totally deteriorated, plastic was melted.  

Some actually prefer the AKG K361 @ $179 over the K371. Both worth a listen or a punt on.

The Elegia at $500 is a steal in pure SQ. BUT, I couldn't live with any mechanical clipping or driver rattle. To me its a fault. Every other brand can manage, not sure why Focal did what they did.

8 minutes ago, MAST88 said:

It was $999 for me

Sounds good, ill try and pop in storedj for a demo next weekend?

thanks

I know its a pain, and headache and for introverts, quite a task (trust me, I know), but please go get either a brand new pair or refund. At $1000 you have a bunch of other options, a semi-faulty Elegia isn't it.

https://www.minidisc.com.au/beyerdynamic-t5p-2nd-gen-tesla-audiophile-portable-headphone

German built. Solid as. High quality. Highly reliable. Good resolution, good comfort, replaceable parts, sounds good.

Edited by Bengineer
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Bengineer said:

I know its a pain, and headache and for introverts, quite a task (trust me, I know), but please go get either a brand new pair or refund. At $1000 you have a bunch of other options, a semi-faulty Elegia isn't it.

https://www.minidisc.com.au/beyerdynamic-t5p-2nd-gen-tesla-audiophile-portable-headphone

German built. Solid as. High quality. Highly reliable. Good resolution, good comfort, replaceable parts, sounds good.

Anything on A2A you would recommend? around that price? Im just going to swap it over, dont want to stand there and fight over my rights for a refund.