Vintage HiFi

That makes sense as I was looking at Fez`s 907L extra and noticed they had cheeks compared to Sansuis normal 907, I`d assume the internal will be the same?

Yep the 607 Extra amp and Cd players don`t have the cheeks and it was not available as an option as mine didn`t have it.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

That makes sense as I was looking at Fez`s 907L extra and noticed they had cheeks compared to Sansuis normal 907, I`d assume the internal will be the same?

Comparing the 909/907i to the 907L Extra, the L Extra features the LAPT output transistors, greater use of polypropylene bypass capacitors (U-CON SA grade), and RIKEN resistors in select signal path locations in the amplifier circuit boards.

Edited by pete_mac
  • Like 1

I think i have solved the mystery of where the parts Ihave aquired have originated.

The only manufacturer to have used all of these parts together in their equipment that I have seen is Sansui in their top models such as the 607 extra , 907 limited etc. .

I am quite confident that these were probably sansui surplus parts from the factory..

The silmic power supply capacitors, U CON polypropylenes , copper foil polystyrene and the bluey green polystyrene copper foils all used by Sansui .all amazing quality parts .

post-140333-0-00553600-1466251767_thumb.

Edited by brenden
  • Like 2

I think i have solved the mystery of where the parts Ihave aquired have originated.

The only manufacturer to have used all of these parts together in their equipment that I have seen is Sansui in their top models such as the 607 extra , 907 limited etc. .

I am quite confident that these were probably sansui surplus parts from the factory..

Yep, I reckon you're right mate. You lucky, lucky bugger! The U-Con polypropylenes and the copper styrenes are damn hard to find.

Pete , love your work ,so if u need anything I would be happy to help out if I can .

I have quite a few copper foils for example .

That's a very kind thought mate.

We'll chat in future - I'd certainly be keen to buy some! :)

What CD spinner do you buy to match your vintage Rotel stuff???

Not into steaming, but have a couple hundred CD's i would like to play every so often...

Think my search might be over... :)

post-109454-0-53347400-1467337655_thumb.post-109454-0-86249600-1467337658_thumb.post-109454-0-80850200-1467337661_thumb.

Yeah I know the X03 aint vintage but its a great match aesthetically though the photo's dont do it full justice...

SQ wise.....well time will tell but so far...... :thumb:  :thumb: 

Tase 

Edited by Tasebass
  • Like 3

Guest jakeyb77

I don't care what the tech told you. It is not necessary to have the amp switched on.

The wire in a wire wound pot is NOT gold plated.

@@Zaphod Beeblebrox I'm afraid that @@vintagejapan is right on the plating...

"inside they have gold plated copper wire windings with beautifully plated solid copper wipers. Changing them out for anything other than a single very high quality resistor would be a downgrade. Buying something of their quality now would cost a small fortune."

Also for fun:

the speaker cabinets for NS 1000Ms were made in Slovenia by Alples in Železniki. In neighbouring Jelovica forest Stradivari hand picked the wood for his best violins.

@@Zaphod Beeblebrox I'm afraid that @@vintagejapan is right on the plating...

No, he is not.

"inside they have gold plated copper wire windings with beautifully plated solid copper wipers. Changing them out for anything other than a single very high quality resistor would be a downgrade. Buying something of their quality now would cost a small fortune."

I really don't care what you have read by some, un-named, person on the internet. You and he are wrong. Gold plating resistance wire negates the purpose of that resistance wire. Therefore, it is NEVER done. The wiper may be copper and it may even be gold plated, but that would be a retrograde step. Silver plating is a FAR better option for power circuits.

Also for fun:

the speaker cabinets for NS 1000Ms were made in Slovenia by Alples in Železniki. In neighbouring Jelovica forest Stradivari hand picked the wood for his best violins.

Whatever. The nonsense about the pots is just that - nonsense. Think about it.

Guest jakeyb77

No, he is not.

I really don't care what you have read by some, un-named, person on the internet. You and he are wrong. Gold plating resistance wire negates the purpose of that resistance wire. Therefore, it is NEVER done. The wiper may be copper and it may even be gold plated, but that would be a retrograde step. Silver plating is a FAR better option for power circuits.

Whatever. The nonsense about the pots is just that - nonsense. Think about it.

I'm always wrong. Was just curious so looked up some info on the NOBLE RPH25 40W 8 OHM. All signs seemed to suggest the same thing. A pair I have are scratchy and I was wondering if De-oxit was appropriate. Turns out it is... Most suggest that once taken apart it can't be easily put back together. Most opinions confirmed that the copper was subject to corrosionand that moving them would fix most issues. Anyway whatever they are made of mine seemed to come good with some movement.

I'm always wrong. Was just curious so looked up some info on the NOBLE RPH25 40W 8 OHM. All signs seemed to suggest the same thing. A pair I have are scratchy and I was wondering if De-oxit was appropriate. Turns out it is... Most suggest that once taken apart it can't be easily put back together. Most opinions confirmed that the copper was subject to corrosionand that moving them would fix most issues. Anyway whatever they are made of mine seemed to come good with some movement.

I'm pretty certain you are not always wrong. Where did you obtain the false information about the pots used? From the manufacturer?

The pots would definitely benefit from a "go over" with deoxit.

Then every once in a while when you use them do the back and forth movement few times.

To me it is not important of what they are made, just want to keep them singing for years to come.

And yes, I would not pull them apart, extremely hard to put them back together.

They are plated, silver/gold or otherwise the plating after a while comes off and the bare copper on the wiper does get oxidised

Guest jakeyb77

I'm pretty certain you are not always wrong. Where did you obtain the false information about the pots used? From the manufacturer?

No was mainly anecdotal from people/tech's on forums who have repaired them in the UK and US etc. When I raised the issue here I was told that replacement was the best option rather than clean so I dug around the web. Alas I assume the manufacturer information would be in Japanese and hard to find for me. Anyway some say gold plated and others just say plated copper and don't elaborate. The wiper is just plain copper though.

But if I knew what the hell I was talking bout then my amps and preamp wouldn't be on your bench! haha  :thumb:

No was mainly anecdotal from people/tech's on forums who have repaired them in the UK and US etc. When I raised the issue here I was told that replacement was the best option rather than clean so I dug around the web. Alas I assume the manufacturer information would be in Japanese and hard to find for me. Anyway some say gold plated and others just say plated copper and don't elaborate. The wiper is just plain copper though.

But if I knew what the hell I was talking bout then my amps and preamp wouldn't be on your bench! haha  :thumb:

Ah, that makes sense. There are a LOT of people who think they know stuff, sprouting all sorts of nonsense on the internet.

• Like 1

Yamaha did use gold plated wire. I happen to own a vintage synth from Yamaha made on the same period. This particular synthesiser is a Yamaha CS-60 and has a ribbon type pitch slider above the keyboard.

Underneath the cloth there is a gold plated resistance wire that helps create crazy pitch slides. Vangelis used the bigger brother CS-80 which has the same slider in his famous album Blade Runner

My pitch slider was damaged and I managed to find a replacement for it from UK and I know first hand that the original wire was gold plated. May still have half of it lying around somewhere.

What CD spinner do you buy to match your vintage Rotel stuff???

Not into steaming, but have a couple hundred CD's i would like to play every so often...

Think my search might be over... :)

attachicon.gifEso Rotel 2.JPGattachicon.gifEso Rotel 3.JPGattachicon.gifEso+Rotel 1.JPG

Yeah I know the X03 aint vintage but its a great match aesthetically though the photo's dont do it full justice...

SQ wise.....well time will tell but so far...... :thumb:  :thumb:

Tase 

Looks good.

Purely on aesthetics, these two would be good I reckon.

post-104640-0-01941900-1467345036_thumb.

post-104640-0-92644700-1467345050_thumb.

• Like 2

Yamaha did use gold plated wire. I happen to own a vintage synth from Yamaha made on the same period. This particular synthesiser is a Yamaha CS-60 and has a ribbon type pitch slider above the keyboard.

Underneath the cloth there is a gold plated resistance wire that helps create crazy pitch slides. Vangelis used the bigger brother CS-80 which has the same slider in his famous album Blade Runner

My pitch slider was damaged and I managed to find a replacement for it from UK and I know first hand that the original wire was gold plated. May still have half of it lying around somewhere.

COMPLETELY different to the high power L-pads used in loudspeakers. You're shifting goal-posts again. You've stripped down the attenuator. You know that it is not gold plated.