Vintage HiFi

Great amp the B2. Superb Yamaha VFET sound. Beautiful weight and control in the bass. Very, very good stereo imaging, throws an enormous soundstage does the B2. Super low distortion amplifier, extremely linear, and clean. With Yamaha overseeing the actual production of the vfets, specifically matching pairs for each channel. The circuit is designed around the performance and specific specifications of the power fets. Extraordinary, brilliant design..  

After about an hour of bringing a B2 up to temp and stable, then start to turn up the volume ans enjoy one of the finest power amplifiers made. I'd be happy to put the B2 up against most other amplifiers (in the same weight class) irrespective of age...It will kick some serious butt...

She aint no oil painting, but after a while you get to like the looks of the B2..in a weird sorta way!

If you look closely into the dark depths of the beast, you can see two of those fets, sitting on the heatsink..And talking heatsink, they are big, lots of sinking in this amplifier. You will never have any thermal issues with a B2. Drive it hard all day, she will stay solid as a rock, no worries..

attachicon.gifPicture 019.jpgattachicon.gifPicture 053.JPG

Of course polishing the V-fets does make them "sound better" :-)

post-136464-0-08434800-1455797767_thumb.post-136464-0-51530500-1455797839_thumb.post-136464-0-29098700-1455797848_thumb.post-136464-0-84174700-1455797870_thumb.

My latest acquisition (from a fellow SNAer):

1602200641260118.jpg

1602200641350111.jpg

Has a 'secret' power switch on the side...

1602200641430083.jpg

Note the AC outlets - does anyone know where to get appropriate connectors?
Perhaps they are unique to TEAC?

1602200641510091.jpg

Looks to be reasonably well constructed, looking forward to hooking her up later :)

• Like 2

Hi Wayne,

Looks pretty good,

Re the connectors, they are Euro style (Europena) mains sockets.

https://www.euronetwork.co.uk/euro-plug-2-pin-rewireable#.VsfJnXBXerU

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/EURO-MAINS-POWER-2-PIN-REWIREABLE-PLUG-WITH-CABLE-CLAMPS-2-5A-250V-WHITE-VDE-CE-/361124602334

Cheers

John

Edited by skippy124

Not sure if this warrants its own thread so posting here.

Picked up an interesting pair of speakers on the side of the road today, looks like I saved them from being thrown into a skip. To say they're a bit grimy is an understatement, but they seem to work (mostly).

I think the tweeter (Goodmans) in one of them is dead, but it could be some faulty switches since I can re-create the same sound from the working one by leaving the front switches between settings... or some bad wiring with the crossover maybe.

The only model number I've found is D-88M and the terminals at rear had an AWA logo, curious if anyone knows anything about these, as I've not been able to find anything so far. Some of the internal components appeared to be dated 71-73.

The working one sounds quite good, but with only one I find it difficult to really judge.

post-109685-0-55418000-1455956442_thumb.post-109685-0-16389400-1455956506_thumb.

post-109685-0-59832500-1455956471_thumb.post-109685-0-09502000-1455956518_thumb.

Edited by risingfunk
  • Like 4

Picked up an interesting pair of speakers on the side of the road today, looks like I saved them from being thrown into a skip. To say they're a bit grimy is an understatement, but they seem to work (mostly).

I think the tweeter (Goodmans) in one of them is dead, but it could be some faulty switches since I can re-create the same sound from the working one by leaving the front switches between settings... or some bad wiring with the crossover maybe.

The only model number I've found is D-88M and the terminals at rear had an AWA logo, curious if anyone knows anything about these, as I've not been able to find anything so far. Some of the internal components appeared to be dated 71-73.

The working one sounds quite good, but with only one I find it difficult to really judge.

attachicon.gif893460_10153612175348579_3747719682582585795_o.jpgattachicon.gif12764770_10153612137273579_2786843493660991872_o.jpg

attachicon.gif12711061_10153612137493579_1757412569232035538_o.jpgattachicon.gif12419106_10153612137503579_4682972334677759633_o.jpg

Interesting looking pair. 

So the woofer fires backward? I am confused!

from the crossover looks like a 3 way?

Interesting looking pair. 

So the woofer fires backward? I am confused!

from the crossover looks like a 3 way?

there's two switches at the front for several crossover settings(?) so the wiring probably looks more complicated due to that

yeah they appear to fire "backward"... behind that grill there may be a passive woofer, though i didn't really look closely enough (despite opening them up) ..it's sort of hidden even once you open it up.

very strong/solid construction though!

guy who was about to bin them said something about the original owner claiming to have spent $2000+ "way back when"... but I've heard enough people claim "top of the line" status for obvious entry level gear for me to really take much notice

...couldn't be a build-from-kit kinda thing? 

Edited by risingfunk

there's two switches at the front for several crossover settings(?) so the wiring probably looks more complicated due to that

yeah they appear to fire "backward"... behind that grill there may be a passive woofer, though i didn't really look closely enough (despite opening them up) ..it's sort of hidden even once you open it up.

very strong/solid construction though!

guy who was about to bin them said something about the original owner claiming to have spent $2000+ "way back when"... but I've heard enough people claim "top of the line" status for obvious entry level gear for me to really take much notice

...couldn't be a build-from-kit kinda thing? 

it does say "3 way on the label"

maybe it was modified 

Wow, this is stretching the memory. I believe that speaker may be similar to the Linn Isobarik system. You will probably find another bass driver behind the one on view. 

I could be very wrong. 

• Like 1

I also believe that is an isobaric enclosure; there'll be another 8" woofer facing the 'backwards' one. The description on the label hints at this......'duplex drive, 8+8'.

I predict you'll find an oval midrange driver behind the grill.

Sounds like it's time to break out the screwdrivers and take a couple of pics.....

• Like 3

When I opened them up I was a bit too quick and didn't pay enough attention...

I was only really getting in there to get around the broken speaker terminals and find out if they worked *at all*

Will try get a few more photos later today

Thanks for the Isobarik tip folks!

1602210824100103.jpg

Listening to the TEAC AH-500i now, with my Eastern Electric DAC and Ascension Summoner 1293SHTLs... playing Russian Circle's Station.

This TEAC is an impressive little amp! Not quite up there with my AU-717 of course, but SQ is very, very good for it's size. Perfect for my bedroom system :)

• Like 4

Thanks John, I bought a couple of those connectors from the ebay link you supplied, cheers :)

The final stage ouputs 2x 400W (8 Ohm) with 36 bipolar output devices (NEC 2SD555 / 2SB600, 200W each) driven by 12 drivers parallel-connected and "organized in Super Linear 3-stage Darlington construction".

WoW! They didn't muck around much did they?

Does anyone know what brand receiver this is? The only thing I can find on google that remotely resembles the look and model numbering sequence is Luxman. Couldn't resist this for $5 at the local flea market. It works but the left channel is a bit dodgy which I've put down to a bad connection at the plug for the speaker as it improves when I jiggle it.

post-153445-0-10553800-1456042494_thumb.

Edited by Fair Play

Does anyone know what brand receiver this is? The only thing I can find on google that remotely resembles the look and model numbering sequence is Luxman. Couldn't resist this for $5 at the local flea market. It works but the left channel is a bit dodgy which I've put down to a bad connection at the plug for the speaker as it improves when I jiggle it.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

That's an integrated amplifier -- It looks like Leak??