Region Free Blu Ray Players

12 hours ago, petetherock said:

The Sony players have the simplest region swopping sequence amongst all the players I know.. 

Hah! Yeah the oppo one is next to impossible for me to get right manually. It was a lot better when I programmed the harmony - BUT it still takes quite a bit of time as you have to eject and close and power cycle it.

You got yours from Bombayelectronics?

Regards the sequence, does it work with a disc in from home menu, or only without, closed?

49 minutes ago, petetherock said:

Amazon.. ( I have no shares, sadly) they will include instructions, it's truly idiot proof. 

I posted my review online, cheers. 

Hmm yes you mentioned when you were getting it Amazon and seller was Bombay Electronics. They don;t seem to sell at Amazon at the moment. But they do via their website still.

The customer service at Amazon has been sterling so I prefer to deal with them for all matters.

There are numerous vendors for Sony players, much less so for other brands if you are after a region free unit.

On the other hand, if space permits, one way is to have two players. The two main regions are A & B. Many players will do code free for DVDs anyway, and UHD discs are region free.

• Like 1

By the way, I've kept my "Laser Brand" region free player, and whilst it's a little clunky, it's doing well and if one can still find it, (got mine at Chullora Big W), it's a very decent choice for $100.

Mine was a refurb unit for $90, with a free HDMI cable - passes HDM 2.0 and ARC with no issues. I've now given it to my mum in law, and it's chugging along perfectly well, connected directly to her TV.

I heard they use Sony parts inside, but I have no proof of this.

23 hours ago, petetherock said:

The Sony players have the simplest region swopping sequence amongst all the players I know.. 

I have the Sony UDP-X800 4K player but unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a region-free hack that works for this player. I'll keep my two devices for now until my region-free Blu-ray Player packs up. 

On 16/06/2020 at 9:48 PM, YippeKiYay said:

I have the Sony UDP-X800 4K player but unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a region-free hack that works for this player. I'll keep my two devices for now until my region-free Blu-ray Player packs up. 

@YippeKiYay, I’ve got the same player. While there isn’t an easy remote style hack it’s not too difficult to modify if you’re comfortable working on reasonably small solder points on modern PCBs it’s not too hard and they supply some kynar in the package if you don’t have any single strand handy.

Once completed and the firmware’s been flashed DVD is set to region 0 and you swap BRD regions by powering off then choosing one of the coloured buttons on the remote to switch it on.

Mind, not really a plug and play solution I guess!

• 1 month later...
On 02/06/2020 at 10:36 AM, Mobe1969 said:

If you are wanting Dolby Vision, there are a few. Gattiweb sell them. I think the Sony UDP-X800M2 is probably the best value high end one.

If you have an oppo or can get one, you can get mods for those too./

I was going to get the Laser $100 machine but just ordered one Sony BDP-S6700 (multi-region) $450.00 based on a Gatti recommendation for my purpose...Will be used with 1080p  Panasonic TC-P65VT60 .

• Like 1

Most criterion’s will play on a region B Blu ray player even without a mod

when you get the message on the screen : “this disc is not compatible with your region”

press STOP

THEN 

press TOP MENU

in a few seconds you will see the criterion “C” come up in your left top corner

viola

least that’s the case for Panasonic players

Edited by Kdjjdk Will
  • Like 1