AVR Suggestions for Monitor Audio Gold 5G

Hi, I was hoping I could get some advice.

Currently I have the 4 ohm Monitor Audio Gold 200 (L/R) and C250 (C) with two SVS Sealed subs connected to a Yamaha Aventage 1050. It has always been my plan to upgrade the AVR and I am in the initial stages of looking at my options. I would like to at some stage get surrounds and potentially in the longer term height speakers for a maximum of 5.4.2. I mention all of this as I would like to future proof. 

So looking at options, I have looked at the the Denon X8500H which is very expensive (but very well reviewed) and I wonder whether I will use all the channels./features I haven't had any issues with the Yamaha, so always the option to go with the 3080 (which is half the price of the denon). I do prefer the one box, but am open to separate components.

I guess where I am at, is trying to gauge how much I will need to spend to get the most out of my speakers (but not over doing it) and maybe some options.

Budget?

I have posted a number of times to not rely on the marketing BS for power per channel and instead divide the total power consumption by total channels at 50% efficiency. Use that as a better guide in the as absence of a proper power when multi channels are driven.

How much movies vs music?  Some AVR brands are better known for music and room correction software like Dirac Live and Anthem Room Correction do make a difference for music.  But if music is important, then best to get both AVR and a stereo integrated with HT bypass.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For budget, the 8500H sells for $6K and that will be a tough sell with my wife, but I also would prefer to wait/save a bit longer and get what I will be happy with, rather than regret it. Usage - I would say 70% home theatre and 30% music, which made me think an integrated amp would be less important.

Thanks for the feedback though, exactly the thoughts, I am looking for :).

1 minute ago, Irek said:

Are you sitting in a sweet spot for critical listening or is it more for background music? 

Predominantly background. The majority of sweet spot listening is definitely home theatre.

With that budget and assuming you want one box only, suggest looking at the NAD T778 or Arcam AVR 550.  Both have lots of  real multi channel power and both run Dirac Live which is good for both movies and music.

• Thanks 1

Really like the look of the T778, will be good to see some reviews.... Do you guys know whether NAD generally pairs well with Monitor Audio? Snoopy8, I notice in your profile that you use a NAD receiver with the MA apex series.

1 hour ago, paulie83 said:

Really like the look of the T778, will be good to see some reviews.... Do you guys know whether NAD generally pairs well with Monitor Audio? Snoopy8, I notice in your profile that you use a NAD receiver with the MA apex series.

The T778 just came out, so will need to wait a while to find a review.  In one way, the T778 is a multi channel version of the M10, but with some AVR compromises of budget, space in box, multi channel DAC, analog stages  etc.. 

My T758V3 is only the entry model and works well with the Apex.  I can only speculate that the T778 will go well with your MAs.  The key is Dirac Live which makes movies superb and music acceptable (on my entry system).  BluOS is an  excellent App and makes music playback easy to use. One thing often overlooked is software updates, which happen regularly.  I would pick the NAD T778 over the Arcam AVR 550 (who are known to be slow with software updates, don't have BluOS).

• Like 1

If spending upwards of $6k on a AVR id recommend a cheaper AVR or Pre/Pro and a power amp in combination.

High priced AVRs drop value like German cars and can be hard to move also, Power Amps on the other hand hold value better, never get superseded by the latest tech and at the end of the day will power your 4ohm speakers much better.

Simply add more power amps as your system grows in size.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Hi-Fi Whipped said:

If spending upwards of $6k on a AVR id recommend a cheaper AVR or Pre/Pro and a power amp in combination.

High priced AVRs drop value like German cars and can be hard to move also, Power Amps on the other hand hold value better, never get superseded by the latest tech and at the end of the day will power your 4ohm speakers much better.

Simply add more power amps as your system grows in size.

agree there 100% ! 

problem is processing is what tends to move on...

pre amps can come and go and the power amps they can stay :D 

• Like 3

I do agree it is better to get a multi channel amps plus pre pro or cheap AVR with preouts. But OP did state preference for one box at the beginning. And not everyone has the luxury of adding amps, especially in a shared environment where even one extra box plus extras cables could tip the WAF scale.

One more thing for OP to consider.  If there was a choice between getting a prepro + multi channel amp or AVR + integrated amp for music, what will be the choice?  The former places emphasis on home theatre and the latter recognises that music is just as important.

• Like 1

I am really impressed with quality of suggestions and assistance. Thank you.

The main motivation for the upgrade is  the power requirements for my speakers. However, the AVR is lacking some newer features such as Dolby vision, that and probably the bigger motivator, the preference for a single box setup.

I agree that a separate processing unit (whether it be my current AVR or a different one) and power amp is the better solution, but space and acceptance of others sharing the space (and dare I say part funding any purchases :) ) are a factor.

So saying that. If I did go down the separate power amp route, where should I start my research in terms of brands and price points? :)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, paulie83 said:

So saying that. If I did go down the separate power amp route, where should I start my research in terms of brands and price points? :)

This will give you a good idea of what prepros are out there and pricing

https://www.audiotrends.com.au/home-theatre-tv/home-theatre-components/home-theatre-pre-amp-processors.html

Unfortunately, prepros are positioned on the high end and will strain your budget.

Also some multi channel power amps

https://www.audiotrends.com.au/home-theatre-tv/home-theatre-components/power-amplifiers.html?p=1&q=home-theatre-tv%2Fhome-theatre-components%2Fpower-amplifiers.html

Other brands include Rotel, Elektra

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, paulie83 said:

hi paulie, in processors eg in marantz you can usually pick up either 7 or 8 series pre amps from 2016+ very cheaply and will do all you are looking for. ie lacking nothing in current spec. ive had mine last 4+ years and does everything !  you dont really need latest and greatest 

eg the 7703 that sold below,

power amps look around what there is rotel, elektra make for good options and work well with marantz :) 

• Like 2

On 02/03/2020 at 10:05 AM, paulie83 said:

Hi, I was hoping I could get some advice.

Currently I have the 4 ohm Monitor Audio Gold 200 (L/R) and C250 (C) with two SVS Sealed subs connected to a Yamaha Aventage 1050. It has always been my plan to upgrade the AVR and I am in the initial stages of looking at my options. I would like to at some stage get surrounds and potentially in the longer term height speakers for a maximum of 5.4.2. I mention all of this as I would like to future proof. 

So looking at options, I have looked at the the Denon X8500H which is very expensive (but very well reviewed) and I wonder whether I will use all the channels./features I haven't had any issues with the Yamaha, so always the option to go with the 3080 (which is half the price of the denon). I do prefer the one box, but am open to separate components.

I guess where I am at, is trying to gauge how much I will need to spend to get the most out of my speakers (but not over doing it) and maybe some options.

These speakers are a pretty good product. To get them to sing you'll need something which has plenty of current on tap and wattage to suit and I've yet to see any current AVR that genuinely does this. With your potential budget I'd be looking for an Elektra Power Amp and a 5 channel version RRP is $3k, less your negotiating skills. I much prefer the HD2 iteration with balanced inputs, but you can find the originals often advertised in the classifieds at good prices. I'd then keep an eye out in the classifieds here for an Anthem AVM60 or one of the recent Marantz processors. Good luck

14 hours ago, Irek said:

What about borrowing power amp or high end AVR or both to try at home. Should be possible for a few hours. 

Great idea! I definitely feel I want to try some options if I am spending that much! 

Just as an FYI for you since you are considering Pre/Pro. Excel HiFi have the Refurb Yamaha CX-A5200 available again for $2,100.00 ($3,999.00 RRP) See:

https://www.excelhifi.com.au/yamaha-cx-a5200-refurbished.html

https://au.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/av_receivers_amps/cx-a5200/index.html

You could mate this with whatever power Amp you want.

Anyway just a suggestion. I purchased a Refurb Yamaha RX-A3080 from Excel HiFi and have been very happy with it. You wouldn't have known it was a Refurb. It looked brand new except batteries for remote were missing. So buying a Refurb Yamaha CX-A5200 for $2,100.00 ($3,999.00 RRP) is a good option.

They don't have any Refurb RX-A3080 currently, and these Refurb Yamaha CX-A5200 also normally get snapped up very quickly . See:

https://www.excelhifi.com.au/audio-visual-receivers/

Edited by bizzibee

I’ve experimented with top of the line AV receivers and my Monitor Audio speakers. I found an AVR with external power amps absolutely destroyed the AVR internal amps with all comparisons. I refused to believe it at first due to the amount of money I had spent on the receivers. Now I just accept that a cheaper AVR with preouts and a good power amp is the way to go.

I’m using Musical Fidelity amps which match very well with Monitor Audio. If you see second hand Musical Fidelity amps in the classified or on gumtree, jump on them. They get snapped up very quickly.

Edited by myhifiacct
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, bizzibee said:

Just as an FYI for you since you are considering Pre/Pro. Excel HiFi have the Refurb Yamaha CX-A5200 available again for $2,100.00 ($3,999.00 RRP) See:

https://www.excelhifi.com.au/yamaha-cx-a5200-refurbished.html

https://au.yamaha.com/en/products/audio_visual/av_receivers_amps/cx-a5200/index.html

You could mate this with whatever power Amp you want.

I've just been informed that Eastwood HiFi have also listed the MX-A5200 11 channel power amplifier (apparently 150W each channel) for $2599 in their latest newsletter.

The price isn't listed on their Web site, but say you need to trade-in something. But they do say to call if you don't have a trade-in. See:

https://www.eastwoodhifi.com.au/yamaha-mxa5200-aventage.htm

But no need for trade-in noted in the newsletter:

We’ve been able to secure a small quantity of the incredible Yamaha MX-A5200 AVENTAGE power amplifiers at a superb price. With 11 channels of amplification each rated to 150 Watts this powerhouse of a unit can be used to drive pretty much any speaker we sell. With channel switching to allow for bridged output on the main stereo pair or easy bi-amping it’s a very versatile performer, with the sound quality we know and love from flagship Yamaha gear.
For the current stock on hand we’re offering these new, factory sealed units along with its 5-year warranty for only $2599. That is a saving of $1400 from its $3999 RRP.

Edited by bizzibee

18 minutes ago, bizzibee said:

I've just been informed that Eastwood HiFi have also listed the MX-A5200 11 channel power amplifier (apparently 150W each channel) for $2599 in their latest newsletter.

The price isn't listed on their Web site, but say you need to trade-in something. But they do say to call if you don't have a trade-in. See:

https://www.eastwoodhifi.com.au/yamaha-mxa5200-aventage.htm

Worth a call if interested.

Be aware that Yamaha's power figures are complete BS. The amp has a maximum power consumption of 650W. Take best case class A/B amplifier efficiency of 70% leaves you 650x .7 = 455W. Divide 455W over over channels leaves about 41W per channel. It will be fine with speakers with decent efficiency if you're not trying to rock the house, but if you're the type that likes things loud you'll be risking clipping and speaker damage.