What are people running for smart doorbells?

Guest rmpfyf

Hey all

Is anyone out there running or considering one of these?

I was all signed up for a Nest Hello (~$300) until realising that:

• I can't pull the video stream into my NAS,
  • Recording any useful amount of video requires a subscription, and 
  • Despite having a Google Home Hub which will show someone's at the door, (allegedly according to the Google rep I spoke with) two-way communication only works through the phone app, which kinda defeats the point of the Home Hub integration IMHO.

I get it, there's not so much margin in the hardware and a ton more in recurring revenue. 

I went looking for things that (a) have a decent app that (b) will run on Android enough to turf the hub and replace it with a tablet and (c) will allow me to record video using my NAS... I've only come up with DoorBird, which is (eep) $650 or so and 720P, and is about to be replaced by a 1080P version in the $800's. It's also hardwired - I'm not so concerned about running cable, more on needing to subnet and firewall the connection (or MAC filter it) lest someone enterprising pull the cable and connect to my LAN when I'm away. 

Yes, DoorBird is commercially-descended and will soon be made of nice stainless steel etc but... $800.... ***. 

Where's everyone else leaning here? All thoughts appreciated.

Cheers

• Administrator

I use Ring, though many have abandoned it since the hacking issues.

It doesn't do any of what you suggest, so I double up with 2 cameras (one on either end of a 30m porch) that covers that area, recording to NAS.

Ring itself is great, and also offers cloud recording but I do not use that. I can communicate through the doorbell via the app when necessary though, and it is integrated with Alexa so it comes up on our Echo Show, plays nicely with IFTTT, and displays on our Samsung fridge who is at the door.

2 hours ago, Marc said:

What about this one?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/HikVision-DS-KV8102-IM-Villa-Door-Station/303297626856

Being Hikvision, I would imagine you can record to NAS. I use Surveillance Station on Synology to record 9 Hikvision/Dahua cameras.

I also use surveillance station.

The Hikvision doorbell app is crap, unfortunately.

2 hours ago, figjam said:

I am using a Ring system with 4 cameras. The quality of the 1080p video is very good. I use the Ring 'Protect' subscription which costs me $3/week for online storage of all footage from all 4 cameras.

Have the NAS, don't want to pay subscription.

Articles on Ring. Basically Amazon USA offers your doorbell's information to the Police. Are you OK with Police surveillance of you and your children on your property?

Amazon's Ring line of consumer home surveillance products enjoys an extensive partnership with local police departments all over the country [edit: USA]. Cops receive free product, extensive coaching, and pre-approved marketing lines, and Amazon gets access to your 911 data and gets to spread its network of security cameras all over the nation. According to a trio of new reports, though, the benefits to police go even further than was previously known—as long as they don't use the word "surveillance," that is.

Link is here 2019

Amazon's Ring line of home surveillance products has come under intense scrutiny in recent months following a seemingly endless litany of worrying revelations about Ring's police partnerships, account security, vulnerabilities, employee snooping, and sharing of extremely detailed location data. Now, we have a new report to add to the pile: it seems the app that customers use to manage and control a Ring camera is sending all kinds of personal data around as well.

The Electronic Frontier Foundation took a deep dive into the Android version of the Ring app, which it determined to be "packed with third-party trackers sending out a plethora of customers' personally identifiable information." Moreover, the EFF adds, this data sharing happens "without meaningful user notification or consent and, in most cases, no way to mitigate the damage done."

The personal data sent by Ring seems to go to four main recipients, the EFF found: Branch, ApplsFlyer, MixPanel, and Facebook. Those recipients presumably combine data they gather from the Ring app with data they collect from other sources—either information they collect in-house or buy/trade from other third parties—to build a fleshed-out digital doppelgänger profile for any given user.

Link is here 2020

But that's in the US. Surely that sort of thing wouldn't be happening here, with our less transparent laws on these things?

Former bikini model Renee Eaves was shocked to discover police officers had accessed her file more than 1400 times after she was found guilty of 'few traffic offences'. 

Ms Evans, now a social justice advocate, lodged a Right to Information request in May to find out the number of times her personal Q PRIME file had been accessed.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3650773/Former-bikini-model-s-personal-police-file-accessed-Queensland-officers-1475-times.html

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ThirdDrawerDown said:

Articles on Ring. Basically Amazon USA offers your doorbell's information to the Police. Are you OK with Police surveillance of you and your children on your property?

Link is here 2019

Link is here 2020

But that's in the US. Surely that sort of thing wouldn't be happening here, with our less transparent laws on these things?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3650773/Former-bikini-model-s-personal-police-file-accessed-Queensland-officers-1475-times.html

Which is why anything with a revenue model around streamed cloud video didn't make my cut. I'll push to cloud privately ta very much.

Checking into service EULAs around these products now.

So far DoorBird leading though the price.... aaarrrrgggghhhh.....

• Volunteer
10 hours ago, ThirdDrawerDown said:

I guess if you already have the Amazon listening device installed in your home, it's not much different

1 hour ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

I guess if you already have the Amazon listening device installed in your home, it's not much different

Easier to opt in/out of those. 

2 minutes ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

Assuming you trust that they have actually opted you out when you request it 

You can kill the mic. 

• Administrator

Anyway, back on topic so yet another smarthome related thread is not turned into a privacy debate.

The Doorbird looks good, and ticks all your boxes (except price). But I spotted this in the reviews and for me, this would be a deal breaker:

Only fault so far is that when someone presses the button, the app takes too long to load. I'm at the door to open it manually which defeats the whole purpose.

When Ring first started (I imported one from USA 2 years before they were available here), the lag was dreadful to the point where I stopped using it. It improved in time fortunately.

3 hours ago, Marc said:

Anyway, back on topic so yet another smarthome related thread is not turned into a privacy debate.

The Doorbird looks good, and ticks all your boxes (except price). But I spotted this in the reviews and for me, this would be a deal breaker:

When Ring first started (I imported one from USA 2 years before they were available here), the lag was dreadful to the point where I stopped using it. It improved in time fortunately.

Do you use the Rapid Ring App? Response is instantaneous with this.

15 minutes ago, figjam said:

Fair enough, but for the price of the NAS and doorbell you are looking at, that is a quite a few years cloud storage.

I know (though I have the NAS already). Hence the grrrrrrrrrrrrrr bit about it. 

Honestly Nest Hello is quite compelling. I can't stand the UX faux pas of 'have smart home screen supplied by same manufacturer that makes for a supposedly complete ecosystem, but cannot use features defining the reason why I'd buy a smart doorbell'. In the house there is no reason to want to pick up a phone just to see what's up. 

DoorBird does a few other nice things - relay powering etc that are native.

I'll learn ore and circle back.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest rmpfyf
12 minutes ago, Marc said:

What did you decide @rmpfyf?

I decided nothing . I presented facts and this thread to the Minister of War and Finance.

On her directive we now have a Doorbird (the new 1080P Model). It's extraordinarily well built which given what it costs, you'd want it to be.

Has a few novel features we will actually use (relay driver etc) and both it and the chime are PoE. I need to have a chime out the back of the house too which this will do, this contributed to the choice. Some other nice features abound too.

Records straight to the NAS, no external servers involved.

Haven't had a chance to test the app though I'm assuming it won't be as quick as Ring. 

Could install it WiFi but really wanted something hard-wired on all accounts. A bit tricky to get a line down where it needs to go, but doable.

Just wish it didn't cost as much as it did, honestly. That took from other areas of Reno budget. But it's nice - well enginwered., And data stays private.

• 1 month later...