Where to start with $1000

IMO I would go with the LP7 over the P3 any day, I have had Rega and found the quality control be somewhat lacking, my Apheta 1 fell apart after less than 20 hours.

Marry it to either an AT95ML or VM540ML. The Rega Exact does not have a user replaceable stylus you have to replace the hole cartridge.

Hello! No one has mentioned the Denon 103... a simple easy cartridge to drive... some 47 ohm  MM phono section in a good preamp can drive it if it has a good bit of gain (e.g Plinius M16). However it sounds even better with an SUT of the Cinemag variety; more flushed out and forward. These can be had under $300AU in a slightly used variety or a bit more for new. These Denons track beautifully and are easy to set up. In my case I have an upgraded Systemdek 900 XXII and RB 250 arm with mods.

Edited by alejandro44
Change Location from Nevada to Christchurch, NZ
  • Like 1

Update:

Ok, so firstly thank you for all the recommendations and advice. After a bit of reflection, if I am to go down the Vinyl path I want to do it very right. Realistically from what I have learnt from demoing systems over the last few days is that for a truely ‘wow factor’ vinyl experience i’m going to need some much, much greater investment than originally planned. I’m completely ok with this, I have zero issue in spending good money on things I truely love and use.

Saying this, I’m also conscious of diving into such an investment with a medium I am Completely new to (I own 1 record - Radiohead’s “In Rainbows”) And not sure I truely love or will even use.

So because of this reflection And listening sessions my plan has changed for now...

I have just purchased from my local HiFi place, a Pro-ject Debut Carbon Ex demo with OM10 Cart for just $265 (RRP$670). 

It’s a very small investment to determine if vinyl is for me. It performs well for the small price I paid and will give me something to play around with while I assess Vinyl as a medium for me before diving head first! 

TCG

• Like 2

More Radiohead needed and get some Jap pressings of your fav style of music/band ect. Then let us know how you feel about vinyl. You'll spend the price of the TT just getting a few albums so chose wisely.

Your in Brisvegas so ask some of the local members there if they could lend you a few albums they'd be prepared to lend.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, thecoffeegent said:

Update:

Ok, so firstly thank you for all the recommendations and advice. After a bit of reflection, if I am to go down the Vinyl path I want to do it very right. Realistically from what I have learnt from demoing systems over the last few days is that for a truely ‘wow factor’ vinyl experience i’m going to need some much, much greater investment than originally planned. I’m completely ok with this, I have zero issue in spending good money on things I truely love and use.

Saying this, I’m also conscious of diving into such an investment with a medium I am Completely new to (I own 1 record - Radiohead’s “In Rainbows”) And not sure I truely love or will even use.

So because of this reflection And listening sessions my plan has changed for now...

I have just purchased from my local HiFi place, a Pro-ject Debut Carbon Ex demo with OM10 Cart for just $265 (RRP$670). 

It’s a very small investment to determine if vinyl is for me. It performs well for the small price I paid and will give me something to play around with while I assess Vinyl as a medium for me before diving head first! 

TCG

You have made a wise decision.....? Start with a quality bargain that still has the ability to impress and then go from there. Have fun!

• Like 3

Update:

Current Listening Setup

Pro-ject Debut Carbon->

OM10 Cart->

Pro-ject Phono E Box->

Yamaha WXC-50 Pre->

Rotel Ra06SE Amp->

B&W 685 Speakers

So first real listen of vinyl today, it’s not  in my main music system but just my living room setup for now (as above).

Firstly, I have learnt that not all vinyl is equal, one record had to be returned because it was just so bad sound quality I thought I’d purchased a dud Turntable!.. while other records The XX for example are Devine.

Secondly, I’ve found “burn-in” is a real thing for electronics. I grabbed a Pro-Ject Phono Box E new for $50 (JBHiFi had it on clearance) this morning... again I thought I’d purchased a dud as it sounded flat and lifeless... but a hour or two later it had warmed up, gained control and was outputting quite pleasant, toe tapping sound. Will compare it to my Amps integrated phono tonight.  

Also, using the WXC-50 Streamer/PreAmp, it’s been quite interesting switching from vinyl recording output to Tidal stream of the same song and back again on the fly for direct comparison. Tidal is certainly more detailed and all round better sound with the same Amp/Speakers but i would imagine that’s mostly because of my budget turntable setup that isn’t extracting everything... 

Currently my Tidal digital streaming is overall better in all aspects but there is “something” about the vinyl recording that’s a little more relaxing, mellow etc... so for now I’ll keep comparing and listening and enjoying this little (and relatively inexpensive) experiment towards Vinyl.

TCG

• Like 4

Guest rondine
1 hour ago, thecoffeegent said:

...............but there is “something” about the vinyl recording that’s a little more relaxing, mellow etc... so for now I’ll keep comparing and listening and enjoying this little (and relatively inexpensive) experiment towards Vinyl.

TCG

It’s called distortion.

ron

16 hours ago, thecoffeegent said:

Secondly, I’ve found “burn-in” is a real thing for electronics. I grabbed a Pro-Ject Phono Box E new for $50 (JBHiFi had it on clearance) this morning... again I thought I’d purchased a dud as it sounded flat and lifeless... but a hour or two later it had warmed up, gained control and was outputting quite pleasant, toe tapping sound. Will compare it to my Amps integrated phono tonight.  

That's not burn in, that is thermal stabilization which is a valid phenomenon. When electronic equipment is calibrated it is turned on and left to thermally stabilize before any measurement data is taken.

I have a Pass Labs Xono clone and I leave it turned on all the time for this reason. It does make a difference. My Jfet buffer preamp I can measure the DC offset drift as the amp warms up, once up to operating temp the DC offset is less than 100uV.

Edited by Warren Jones
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, thecoffeegent said:

Currently my Tidal digital streaming is overall better in all aspects but there is “something” about the vinyl recording that’s a little more relaxing, mellow etc... so for now I’ll keep comparing and listening and enjoying this little (and relatively inexpensive) experiment towards Vinyl.

IMO, I would not go down the vinyl path. A few things you have mentioned (Interior Designer etc) makes me think its a waste of time. Vinyl purchasing can be very expensive over the years. I have my vinyl insured for 25 Grand. Also, storage can be awkward. 

Now, above statement cements my opinion.

Also, I have noticed some Rega bashing here. Not you, but others. Rega stayed with vinyl right through the demise period of Vinyl and thats something people should remember.I had a Linn for a long time and also sold Rega for over 30 years and found them reliable and entertaining. ( only real problem I had with them was the Speed pulley slipping. Quick fix).I heard the RP8 when it first came out, and found it extremely entertaining. The RP3 is a Standard and AFAIC should be treated as such. Just like the SL1200.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Wimbo said:

Also, I have noticed some Rega bashing here. Not you, but others. Rega stayed with vinyl right through the demise period of Vinyl and thats something people should remember.I had a Linn for a long time and also sold Rega for over 30 years and found them reliable and entertaining. ( only real problem I had with them was the Speed pulley slipping. Quick fix).I heard the RP8 when it first came out, and found it extremely entertaining. The RP3 is a Standard and AFAIC should be treated as such. Just like the SL1200.

Referring to me I guess. Unfortunately that was not my experience with a brand new RP8 and Apheta that replaced an LP12 I bought new in 1983 while working as a bench technician for Marantz (Superscope), I'm not one to have multiple TT's or change for the sake of it. The Apheta after 24hrs of use had the bottom fall off and started to miss track, so I upgraded to the Apheta 2, at this stage I had the best part of $8k invested. Maybe I expected too much from the RP8.

I put up with the Rega for 5 years trying everything I knew to get it working as it should before I sold the whole shooting match and bought an SP10 this TT will go the grave with me, I love it, the Rega was not even close in terms of enjoyment.

4 hours ago, Wimbo said:

IMO, I would not go down the vinyl path. A few things you have mentioned (Interior Designer etc) makes me think its a waste of time. Vinyl purchasing can be very expensive over the years. I have my vinyl insured for 25 Grand. Also, storage can be awkward. 

Now, above statement cements my opinion.

Hey Mate, I do agree with you to a point. I’m down the vinyl path mostly because it’s a medium I don’t have and I like to have physical options. I’ve given up on CD’s. I think for my needs and bang for buck Streaming is now of at least equal to CD in SQ and a far easier format to deal with. But I do enjoy a physical element to albums that I love (Thus picking these up on vinyl occasionally is my plan). I don’t mind investing in that. 

Also, this vinyl path was and is not intended to end up as my primary listening medium but more to have that physical option when I want it and experience something different to digital on occasions.... and a excuse to upgrade / tinker occasionally when I’m bored.

Regarding storage etc, we both have a great eye for making things look good so it’s not a concern and there are great furniture storage options out there for what will not be a huge collection of vinyl. 

I’m pretty happy so far. I’m experiencing  the benefits and shortcomings and I guess that’s exactly what I wanted to achieve at this stage.

Happy Listening!

TCG

Edited by thecoffeegent
  • Like 1