Show us your DAC's

9 hours ago, Chanh said:

They are PCM1794 NOS with 22 DAC chips stacking for most refined SQ. I2S direct from ARM board render/server. 

That is quite possibly the coolest DIY thing I have ever seen. I hope to one day have your knowledge! We should be friends ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MattyW said:

I've never seen anything like that before....  I'm curious about the power draw. :)

It draws a power station loading with all in all, 300VA for analogue stage + 180VA for digital input + 120VA for armboard server, and 50VA for i2s clocking board from twister pear audio.  

Edited by Chanh
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Jones99 said:

2 of the best DACs that I have heard and owned ...... dCS Vivaldi 2 full stack and MSB Select 2

And arguably the two finest DACs ever. That's some insanely good gear.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ittaku said:

And arguably the two finest DACs ever. That's some insanely good gear.

Yes was a rare treat to compare them directly in my own system Both superb in their own right and I would agree imho the 2 best digital systems I have had the pleasure of hearing.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jones99 said:

Yes was a rare treat to compare them directly in my own system Both superb in their own right and I would agree imho the 2 best digital systems I have had the pleasure of hearing.

I don't suppose you could give us your personal summary of how you perceived they compared?

• Like 1

I was fortunately got the listening opportunities to @Jones99.  MSB Select 2, they are amazingly refined SQ. For me the dCs, appeared more dry, grainy and transparent sounding.  MSB Select has all the dCs but more engaging with better naturalness. I guess that is why he still keep the MSB Select...... ? But hey, that is just  one man opinion. 

Edited by Chanh
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Ittaku said:

I don't suppose you could give us your personal summary of how you perceived they compared?

Yep no problem at all. 

dCS Vivaldi 2 was the first digital system that truly impressed me multiple times I auditioned it and is the first system that finally let me feel that the playback system was no longer the weak point.

The Engineering, build quality and the amount of adjust-ability is just phenomenal. This is Vivaldi's greatest asset but can also be its weak point.  Having lived with Vivaldi 2 it is very easy to get lost with the amount of user adjust-ability and end up having a sound that is not what you set out to achieve.Vivaldi is brutal at exposing equipment not up to task or set up correctly. I truly understand why people think Vivaldi can be too analytical,dry and sterile but I will counter that is usually due to being paired with inferior/non compatible equipment or not being setup correctly. I know when I did not have the  Pendragons  setup correctly Vivaldi laid it bare.. Vivaldi can  be sterile cold, analytical far too honest but then it could be fluid ,full, dynamic and so natural in the right system

When you compare Vivaldi 2 to Select 2  everything I liked about Vivaldi 2 was now even grander, larger than life ,sound stage expanding past what I was used too ,lightening fast transients dynamics and attacks amplified but never fatiguing . Bass with more impact and quickness that is just frightening ......pure and just sounding right. A naturalness that I have yet to hear in other DACs  and as Chanh mentioned less grain which really needs to be taken in context compared to each other(Vivaldi 2 vs Select 2) not other DACs .The sound just draws you in  and immerses you......so so addictive.... 

I will never knock Vivaldi 2 I really loved the sound of it and enjoyed every minute I  owned it ......but you can never undo what has been heard .Select 2 for me is just in another class  .....

Edited by Jones99
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Jones99 said:

as  Chanh mentioned less grain which really needs to be taken in context compared to each other(Vivaldi 2 vs Select 2) not other DACs .

Of course. My commentary was in the context of the two DACs in your setup, that I have heard. To be fair, MSB Select 2 is surely not within reach for the majority when the asking price tag is $125,000.00!!?

You are being envy by the majority audiophile population around the World!! That’s a certainty... ?

Edited by Chanh

3 minutes ago, maximus said:

@Jones99That Vivaldi stack is the most beautiful piece of equipment Ive ever seen.  Absolute jewellery.

Yep Vivaldi had some beautiful  lines to it......and the black was far better look than the silver imho .....suited my all Gryphon system.

• Like 2

On 08/02/2020 at 3:56 PM, Muzza71 said:

Just installed some NOS Western Electric 396A tubes into my Ifi Pro idsd Preamp/Dac/MQA Stremer which has options for SS/Tube/Tube+ connected directly to Quad Platinum Monoblocks.

I have had alot of HiFi components through the mancave in the last 3-4 years and can whole heartedly say the Ifi would be the best component so far.

Just ordered a Power Supply from Clay at Giesler so looking forward to seeing what improvements in can add.

Here are some pics of the tube change out.

20200207_113701.jpg

20200207_113740.jpg

Looks impressive. 

• Like 1

On 17/04/2020 at 11:02 PM, Jones99 said:

When you compare Vivaldi 2 to Select 2  everything I liked about Vivaldi 2 was now even grander, larger than life ,sound stage expanding past what I was used too ,lightening fast transients dynamics and attacks amplified but never fatiguing . Bass with more impact and quickness that is just frightening ......pure and just sounding right. A naturalness that I have yet to hear in other DACs  and as Chanh mentioned less grain which really needs to be taken in context compared to each other(Vivaldi 2 vs Select 2) not other DACs .The sound just draws you in  and immerses you......so so addictive....

That's awesome and similar to my experience with MSB gear. Did you get any optional upgrades with your select 2? The only option I got with my Reference was the femto 77 clock, which I note is actually the default clock in the Select.

DIY DAC based on the AKM, Velvet Sound,  AK4497 chip. Three inputs, USB, OPT and COAX and I use them all. Six filters, good screen display and CNCed heavy Al enclosure and smart looking. Excellent sounding and that’s not just from me but others. About $600 to build. . 

3D41C6CE-88D6-4FBF-B0A2-D377A029420F.jpeg

551EC108-B778-4C7F-BF22-E94C34731F1E.jpeg

D4680D37-8503-46CC-8358-0EDD20D3FC5E.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Love 1

27 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

That's awesome and similar to my experience with MSB gear. Did you get any optional upgrades with your select 2? The only option I got with my Reference was the femto 77 clock, which I note is actually the default clock in the Select.

Mono power bases , Femto 33 clock and matching Select Transport/power supply. 

The Select 2 I trialed had Femto 33 so cannot comment but told it makes a difference. The mono bases surprised me with more improvements definitely worth looking at.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jones99 said:

Mono power bases , Femto 33 clock and matching Select Transport/power supply. 

The Select 2 I trialed had Femto 33 so cannot comment but told it makes a difference. The mono bases surprised me with more improvements definitely worth looking at.   

Thanks, sounds like you went for all the flagship products, most impressive. In my experimenting, the power supplies made the biggest difference to the lower spec models as well, and if I were ever to upgrade I'd go for the mono bases. I did do comparisons with the clocks, and the effects were subtle compared to other changes so I didn't pursue the 33.

On 20/04/2020 at 12:04 PM, sjay said:

/ thread.

It was a while ago when I compared these 2 DACs  Not often these heavy weights are compared directly in home systems though so understand curiosity . I am happy to offer more of my experience/opinion and thoughts but  not sure a whole thread is needed.

Cheers

Jones

18 minutes ago, Jones99 said:

It was a while ago when I compared these 2 DACs  Not often these heavy weights are compared directly in home systems though so understand curiosity . I am happy to offer more of my experience/opinion and thoughts but  not sure a whole thread is needed.

Cheers

Jones

My post meant thread over...like where is there to from there as its pretty much the pinnacle of face as they stand today ?

Any further discussion on this comparison will likely damage my bsnk account balance 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sjay said:

My post meant thread over...like where is there to from there as its pretty much the pinnacle of face as they stand today ?

Any further discussion on this comparison will likely damage my bsnk account balance 

Argh ok my mistake.....not my intention  to kill thread......sorry.....

• Like 1