ME

Dave o

• 4 weeks later...
On 02/01/2020 at 3:07 PM, kelossus said:

Matched parts blah blah bah. It's no different to any respected manufacturer i.e. Krell, Pass Labs, Vitus.

Any good tech with a little help would be able to fix ME amps. Yet folks keep playing it up like they are the most complicated, sophisticated amp design ever made. If you take your ME amp or any amp to a dodgy repairer you get what you pay for. The amps are old, the brand is pretty much defunct and there is a monopoly on the service side of things.

If anything I am speaking out of shear frustration as I like ME amps. They are great. However they are old and do require a service and regular maintenance. For someone in Brisbane it's extremely frustrating.

I can't speak more highly for the support from both peter stein and ron berger, have received and sent several emails to peter in the last week regarding a fault with my 850,he has been very helpful,any work will be done by ron at winovate very competent with ME gear not bad for 30 or more years old amp,i can't see the problem with ME owners in qld as long as they have safe packaging for there ME gear I don't see any reason they can't ship it directly to peter in nth qld.

• Like 1

You're missing the issue at hand. There is no support provided to any other tech's besides Trevor and Ron. Peter is not a viable option for Brisbane based members, it's cheaper to freight to Sydney than to Nth QLD.

Unless you have some sort of rapport or long standing relationship with the ME guys you won't get any leads. You need a degree in quantum physics to even consider taking the lid off, or so they would like you to believe.

I am certain with a little guidance any good tech in Brisbane could service these amps making them a feasible purchase. That is not the case. Say if I bought an ME1500 for $4000, a standard service for it is $1500. Freight both ways to Sydney is around $200 but if you want to insure, which you would, you are looking at another $320 for a round trip. I can think of far better options for $6000.

Edited by kelossus

5 minutes ago, kelossus said:

t's cheaper to freight to Sydney then to Nth QLD.

I agree with your post but could you please tell me why someone in Brisbane would ship an amplifier to Sydney and then to Nth Qld.

Apologies if this should be obvious.:)

Cheers.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, rantan said:

I agree with your post but could you please tell me why someone in Brisbane would ship an amplifier to Sydney and then to Nth Qld.

Apologies if this should be obvious.:)

Cheers.

Yes pardon my grammar but it should be "than".

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ray4410 said:

does every hi end amp manufacture have a service dept in every state. 

What usually happens is that the distributor for any given brand will have repair technicians in most states, to who you can take an item for repair.  This information should be displayed on their website.

Otherwise, you are entitled to take a faulty item back to the retailer from whom you purchased the item/s, as your purchase contract is actually with them.

1 hour ago, ray4410 said:

does every hi end amp manufacture have a service dept in every state. 

We are talking about gear that is up to 30 years old and a brand that is pretty much defunct.

We don't need a service dept in every state but maybe a little information in regards servicing, fault finding and preferred parts to use.

• Like 4

simple,get in touch with peter or ron at winovate or trevor at rage all who can answer any service problems and any parts available,as I stated earlier I have been in touch with peter several times over the last week,he has been generous with his knowledge and time,same goes for ron at winovate I find that outstanding for a more than 30+ year old amp which is as you say is defunct.
my ME adventure started back in the early 80s whith a new ME1500 driving jbl250ti since then I have had 2x 550 2x 750 2 x850 several pre amps,over that time I have had a couple of services on a couple of amps all done to fact specs,and can still get that service today,to me that is all you can ask.

Your missing the point completely. The tech's won't send you parts or give you advice. I am sure some with personal relationships with Peter or one of the tech's may get a little further assistance.

If I with no previous relationship with Trevor bought a ME1500 tomorrow and it required a service. Trevor is not going to send a local tech parts or provide any assistance. I know this for a fact, been down that route before.

Anyways I am beating a dead horse here so I will leave it at that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1