Integrated Ideas pls

I’ve thoroughly enjoyed my 12 months with Electrocompaniet, and it’s time for a year with something else fun. The EC is listed presently.

Running Dali Rubicon 8s (https://www.stereophile.com/content/dali-rubicon-8-loudspeaker) in a smallish room 3600 x 4600 (very patient room placement experimenting made it work).

Budget: $4k-$5k

Ideas so far (there is a theme):

- Luxman L-590

- Luxman L-550

- Sugden IA-4

- Musical Fidelity AMS35i

Ive seen all of the above for $4k-$5k (except the MF - I have no idea in a decent second hand price).

Any other ideas for what else I may consider? If you are considering parting with any of the above, let me know.

Edited by furtherpale

21 minutes ago, furtherpale said:

I’ve thoroughly enjoyed my 12 months with Electrocompaniet, and it’s time for a year with something else fun. The EC is listed presently.

Any other ideas for what else I may consider?

TBH, Electrocompanie makes very good amps. Not sure which model you're using.  High current designs, which suits Deli. Looking at your "preferred" list of amps,  you're going sideways. But, that's just my humble opinions . :)

5 minutes ago, Sirmorebeer said:

TBH, Electrocompanie makes very good amps. Not sure which model you're using.  High current designs, which suits Deli. Looking at your "preferred" list of amps,  you're going sideways. But, that's just my humble opinions . :)

I know I am :)

I love the Dali sound (this is my 5th or 6th pair) and they let great amps express themselves. It keeps things interesting here new presentations of all my favourite music.

Was an AW100DMB and ec 4.7.

I had Krell before that... almost an opposite approach to achieving the same thing and I can highly recommend.

Edited by furtherpale
  • Like 1

I have Epicon 6,

Some good amp choices already listed. ( would not rule out the class A/B Luxman’s, but suggest the507 as a minimum.

I had a Micromega M One in a very small room with mine for a while and it worked well, but only in the small room. They need something with more grunt to control the bass reqlistically.

My only other suggestion is to try to loan a Hegel amp. addicted to Audio have both brands so may be a place to demo those brands.

Personally though I would be shooting for a Lux 507 or Accuphase.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Ray H said:

I have Epicon 6,

Some good amp choices already listed. ( would not rule out the class A/B Luxman’s, but suggest the507 as a minimum.

I had a Micromega M One in a very small room with mine for a while and it worked well, but only in the small room. They need something with more grunt to control the bass reqlistically.

My only other suggestion is to try to loan a Hegel amp. addicted to Audio have both brands so may be a place to demo those brands.

Personally though I would be shooting for a Lux 507 or Accuphase.

I had the 507 in mind, but I have learned the 550/590s are heavily biased to class A, but the 590 switches to a high-current AB to 86wpc @ 8ohm (roughly - from memory -pls correct if needed- and I’m not sure on the 550). Almost a different biasing setup done on a 507(?). It’s hard to find detailed info. I’ve ruled the 505 out already.

Edited by furtherpale
  • Like 1

Yes, don’t get me wrong I think the 590 would sound fantastic in your smaller room. I have  never heard it personally but would love too.. its reputation certainly precedes it.

i think the 507 puts out around 5-15 watts class A, someone will know, but I imagine a lot of your listening in the smaller space would be in class A even with the 507.

• Like 1

@furtherpaleAs much as you like the Dali sound,  and the Rubicon's are fine speakers, it appears to me that a speaker change  might be a better option.

You've a damn good amp, and for up to 5k used there are some wonderful sounding speakers....the whole gamut.

Anything from Open Baffle to Maggies and everything in between will give you extreme differences compared to a change of amp. 

1 hour ago, maximus said:

As much as you like the Dali sound,  and the Rubicon's are fine speakers, it appears to me that a speaker change  might be a better option.

You've a damn good amp, and for up to 5k used there are some wonderful sounding speakers....the whole gamut.

Anything from Open Baffle to Maggies and everything in between will give you extreme differences compared to a change of amp. 

Great minds eh?

I thought I must have been the only one to whom this was/is self evident.

In the interests of full disclosure I am personally, not a fan of Dali speakers, but I do respect the fact that many people whose opinion I value, think highly of them.

IMNSHO, I think you could benefit significantly with a change of speakers and with a $5K budget the world is your oyster, especially if you buy second hand.

I still strongly believe that better amplifiers make better systems and have distinct sonic differences, but in this instance, your amplifiers are not the weakest link and a speaker upgrade is your best direction for overall improvement in your system.

3 minutes ago, furtherpale said:

I’ve just bought the speakers and I’m happy with them... I’m only looking for a different flavour running them for the next 12-24 months.

OK. If that is the case buy a tube amp.

What is it exactly that you want but are not getting with your ECs?

Certainly if you buy a non Class A Luxman or Accuphase or most other decent AB amps, you are essentially buying neutrality and transparency, but certainly not flavour.

Edited by rantan
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, rantan said:

OK. If that is the case buy a tube amp.

What is it exactly that you want but are not getting with your ECs?

Certainly if you buy a non Class A Luxman or Accuphase or most other decent AB amps, you are essentially buying neutrality and transparency, but certainly not flavour.

Primaluna Evo 400 is the only thing that ticks every box, but they are so new there aren’t going to be bargains like there are with a 5yr old amp.

I’m really just after a similar quality, just different (it keeps it interesting).

I really enjoyed the quite clinical Krell, and the opposite end tube-ish EC.

Edited by furtherpale

Another solid 4 ohm speaker, but reasonably efficient at 90dB. A nice valve integrated can be gotten for that price. I'm a big fan of these consonance integrateds, and they'll play with good foundation and loud too.

https://www.osbornloudspeakers.com.au/cyber-880i

If you wanted something a bit more luxurious and delicate sounding but with a bit less power, a fully specced elekit would tick the boxes.

http://shop.grantfidelity.com/japanese-elekit-tu-8340vk-integrated-tube-amplifier-kit-or-assembled.html

Otherwise, the primaluna range is exceedingly popular, and probably a winner in resale capability now if you like constantly churning gear.

Edited by Ittaku

14 hours ago, Ray H said:

i think the 507 puts out around 5-15 watts class A, someone will know, but I imagine a lot of your listening in the smaller space would be in class A even with the 507.

Rocky tracked down that info: 1.5W

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...