Windows 10 is a control freak!

Guest Muon N'

1 hour ago, ThirdDrawerDown said:

Like Aussievintage I have an xp legacy program I need to preserve. 

Can I install linux virtual machine so I get linux but can still call on my xp software when I need it?

Ideally I'm looking at the snakeoil  operating system.

You can partition your drive within the install options with Linux Mint   https://linuxmint-installation-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

and in the process keep your existing operating system to choose either at the time the computer boots up. 

Or as others are saying you can run your existing operating system and software within a virtual machine

- however you will need the original software to do this.  A virtual machine will assume that you are installing 

the old operating system as if for the first time- so partitioning your drive at the Linux Mint install will

keep both your operating system and software as it was running before- might be the better option. 

Moving to Linux Mint you are escaping the nonsense, and finally being able to use the computer as you wish

which must be quite a relief. 

Edited by stereo coffee

1 hour ago, ThirdDrawerDown said:

Like Aussievintage I have an xp legacy program I need to preserve. 

Can I install linux virtual machine so I get linux but can still call on my xp software when I need it?

Ideally I'm looking at the snakeoil  operating system.

SnakeOil is a cut down Ubuntu system for music, not designed to be used as an everyday system. Suggest Linux Mint or one of its variants.

Suggest you run XP this way.  First install Linux, then download VirtualBox. Create a virtual instance and install XP and your legacy program.

While you can partition your PC to dual boot Linux and XP, suggest not running this way. It takes some technical knowledge and it is very easy to stuff things up (even for someone with IT background). Much easier with a virtual instance where you can create  many versions and recover easily if things go wrong.

4 hours ago, aussievintage said:

You could even install real Windows XP in a virtual machine, and so run the Windows that you program liks best. 

Actually I want to take that back as a recommendation.  We forget, at least I did, how ratty XP was behind the scenes.  I just installed it in a virtual machine for fun (yes I just happened to have a new Windows XP CDROM and licence) :) .  Firstly, the activation servers are no longer online and you have to do it by phone - and NOW I remember just how painful that is/was.

Then I installed Google Chrome and went looking for antivirus software.  Wow, crash and reboot, just because I went to Avira's website !!!! This was quite repeatable

Next I tried to install Service Pack 3.  I had forgotten that you have to do that.  Well it installed, but on first reboot, blue screen - that went by too fast to read, and instant reboot - in a continuous loop.  Yep, NOW I remember.  XP does that...  

Stick with Windows 7 :thumbsup:

3 hours ago, ThirdDrawerDown said:

The disc for that xp program was loaned out and hasn't come back, so the trick would be to install linux in a way which wraps the existing install into a virtualbox.

That is not possible?

With big installations, we used to be able to clone a live server running on the network into a virtual machine.  I was involved in moving dozens of servers into the virtual world.  This was with VMWare, and it was some years ago.  I am not sure that the software exists in the free/hobbyist world, but  I will keep my eye out to see.

16 hours ago, Muon N' said:

Never had a blue screen with 7, unless there was a hardware issue or I installed crap software on it.

Win 10 runs slower on my PC and that's with telemetry disabled, and minimal programs and un-needed programs and app removed.

I find solace in adopting some tweaking advised by the Black Viper dude is these distressing circumstances.  Not that it happens much with Win 7.

Click on whatever you like, but Win 10 Service Configurations is what you are ultimately seeking.  Turn ya PC off after making changes.  Don't be in a hurry.

http://www.blackviper.com/

You may also wish to consider installing much more RAM than would normally be prudent with a decent OS such as Win 7.

Thanks, Lloyd, but I'm happier just leaving 10 behind.

But I'll bookmark that in case it is of use down the track.

DDR2 is a bit of a dinosaur these days ;)

Edited by Muon N'

Goodaye all

You have to think what you are using your PC for and any benifits in upgrading.

My main PC was high spec 10 years ago and has had a few upgrades, runs Win 7Pro.

Does everything l need, so why upgrade?

Windows 7 will be supported for by hardware and software developers for years to come.

Gives me  a couple of years to decide.

regards Bruce

24 minutes ago, LogicprObe said:

Now that you've gone 64 bit.......................you need to max out the RAM!

Have had 4Gb in there all along, they don't sell DDR2 anymore, you know that.

Added 2Gb at one point gut they were more generic and developed faults after a while so went back to 4.

On 20/09/2019 at 7:29 AM, Kaynin said:

I was going to switch from 7 to 10 in a few weeks when I have time.  Reading threads like this make me question when I should bother. 

You should have switched to Windows 10 years ago .... most of what is being said in this thread is incorrect.   You can use whatever software you want to on Windows 10, and it doesn't "take control" of your choices.

That being said, I don't use Windows on my home computers either (Mac/Linux) ... but I manage a large number of windows computers professionally.

37 minutes ago, sloper said:

When l built mine it got all it could take, 24Gb.

regards Bruce

What were/are you doing that requires so much?

Can barely use more than 6Gb to 8Gb running very intensive FPS games.

Edited by Muon N'
typo

l also pickup old computers from work.

After a blow the dust, yes l use a compressor, l refurbish them and pass them on to other staff and kids in need.

l few have ended up home on my network, those that dont work get scrapped for bits for others.

Can always get new and used bits as required.

Did a 100 a few years ago, there were Pc's everywhere.

Havent scored a Win10 yet, but have lots of Win7 Pro

As Dave said you can turn things off, its saving stuff to the cloud that worries me.

l'll just get my tinfoil cap.

regards Bruce

l was looking at something at work the other day and had adds for the same items popped up on my home PC.

There not linked through any accounts that l am aware of but l have signed into my google account on both in the past.

Another layer of tinfoil on my hat me thinks.

regards Bruce

24 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

10 seconds on google shows brand new DDR2 4GB DIMMs are about $17 each delivered.   ?‍♀️

OK, there are some non generic ones, but I would need to check what chips they use on them, and what are used on the Patriot sticks I use now.

Although as I am sticking with Win7 I have no need.

Is this the SNA Windows 10 bashing thread ??

I spent last weekend trying to recover my 10 years old PC from a Win 10 mandatory update induced BSOD reboot loop. That was fun ?. I managed to restore to a previous stable state, but that was after trawling the web for tricks that work. Interesting that only the oldest restore point was stable, all newer ones still yielded BSOD. 

• Like 1