racing sim setups

2 hours ago, niterida said:

Well I got my 2nd hand Dofreality H3 set up and took me weeks of troubleshooting with Dofreality and SRS Support before I found a loose connector inside the controller. But then once it was up and running one of the motors whines like a whiny person (can't say the b word) and of them moves slower than the other and drops when you put pressure on it. So I am up for 2 new motors. $250USD each from Dofreality or $80USD direct from the OEM in China.

Not too exited about it though with the little driving I have done so far - not enough movement to really simulate the G forces - although the traction loss is pretty good.

The H3 is a serious bit of kit! Shame to hear you're underwhelmed by it. I'm only going to go as far as some bass shakers I think. Otherwise gets too complex..

Guest niterida
3 minutes ago, caminperth said:

The H3 is a serious bit of kit! Shame to hear you're underwhelmed by it. I'm only going to go as far as some bass shakers I think. Otherwise gets too complex..

Its good and I assume it will be better when I get new motors and tune it to perfection, but I also know it doesn't have enough movement to be truly awesome.

Few nice rigs here.  

Yeah transducers are best money spent.  I had one mounted near the gearbox and one on the back of the seat.  Shifter would vibrate just like in the real car. 

Edited by Pasic007
my god, typos

2 hours ago, Pasic007 said:

Few nice rigs here.  

Yeah transducers are best money spent.  I had one mounted near the gearbox and one on the back of the seat.  Shifter would vibrate just like in the real car. 

Am looking into these at the moment. What was your preferred way of connecting them? Bass signal or software?

I just fed the full signal. Surprisingly worked well. Software is better way to go about it you did require multiple sound cards in your system and it was tricky to setup. 

I done fair bit of research at the time and i went with these. Not sure if it is exact one but looks very similar. 

https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/shoptheglobe-aura-ast-2b-4-pro-bass-shaker-61-52074319-au/

I havent used my rig for over two years now :S  

4 minutes ago, Pasic007 said:

I just fed the full signal. Surprisingly worked well. Software is better way to go about it you did require multiple sound cards in your system and it was tricky to setup. 

I done fair bit of research at the time and i went with these. Not sure if it is exact one but looks very similar. 

https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/shoptheglobe-aura-ast-2b-4-pro-bass-shaker-61-52074319-au/

I havent used my rig for over two years now :S  

Thanks - thinking of getting two for the pedals and two for the seat, might be overkill..

However, trying to get the shakers on the Fanatic V3 pedals working properly as they don't seem to play well (at all) with PC stuff. Seem to work ok on PS4.

Go use your rig! It's such good fun!👍

8 minutes ago, caminperth said:

Thanks - thinking of getting two for the pedals and two for the seat, might be overkill..

However, trying to get the shakers on the Fanatic V3 pedals working properly as they don't seem to play well (at all) with PC stuff. Seem to work ok on PS4.

Go use your rig! It's such good fun!👍

Might be overkill depends how you set it up i guess, those things got fair bit of grunt.  Rumble on the V3 pedals was enough for me i think those only went off when ABS was triggered? I did have issues with some games not working but i think i had it running in the end. You have latest firmware? 

Yeah i moved my PC to spareroom the rig i built myself and i cant move it out of the lounge hahah. I want to get Vive, i noticed Vive 2 is out?!   I wanted to build full motion rig. There's one you can 3rd print most of the stuff, partially why i got decent 3rd printer. 

Ill post a vid soon. My girl was 4 at the time and she could drive manual full lap around Bathurst using first 3 gears. Oh and she would do it fast then my mates. They would go flat stick and crash.. She took her time haha.   She hasnt done it for few years now, been meaning to get it going so i can take her gokarting in joondalup. 

4 hours ago, Pasic007 said:

Might be overkill depends how you set it up i guess, those things got fair bit of grunt.  Rumble on the V3 pedals was enough for me i think those only went off when ABS was triggered? I did have issues with some games not working but i think i had it running in the end. You have latest firmware? 

Yeah i moved my PC to spareroom the rig i built myself and i cant move it out of the lounge hahah. I want to get Vive, i noticed Vive 2 is out?!   I wanted to build full motion rig. There's one you can 3rd print most of the stuff, partially why i got decent 3rd printer. 

Ill post a vid soon. My girl was 4 at the time and she could drive manual full lap around Bathurst using first 3 gears. Oh and she would do it fast then my mates. They would go flat stick and crash.. She took her time haha.   She hasnt done it for few years now, been meaning to get it going so i can take her gokarting in joondalup. 

Working on getting the V3 pedal rumble working first - on the PS4 it's linked to engine (I think) which is pretty full on. With the PC I've got to try out SimHub, which I think will let Assetto Corsa work on it correctly.

I tried out VR at the VRace in Osborne Park, found it to be too hot and uncomfortable after about 15 mins.

Nice burnout vid! Bathurst is a hard one and I found that the track walkthrough on Grand Turismo really helped me get my head around how to navigate it quickly (or at least not crash!).

Guest DrSK
On 05/07/2021 at 6:30 PM, caminperth said:

Looking good. Gets pricey quick doesn't it? I think my better half is regretting not letting me get a track car - could have been cheaper! 🤣 

After taking a skim through these I was thinking track car! Or at least track days and just drive what you have. 

20 minutes ago, caminperth said:

Working on getting the V3 pedal rumble working first - on the PS4 it's linked to engine (I think) which is pretty full on. With the PC I've got to try out SimHub, which I think will let Assetto Corsa work on it correctly.

I tried out VR at the VRace in Osborne Park, found it to be too hot and uncomfortable after about 15 mins.

Nice burnout vid! Bathurst is a hard one and I found that the track walkthrough on Grand Turismo really helped me get my head around how to navigate it quickly (or at least not crash!).

i haven't tried VR, but i got into flying drone's ( FPV racing ) and that was crazy weird seeing through drones camera on goggles. You get used it. 

Here's few pics of my rig. I built this back in 2017.  Hydraulic handbrake was a challenge, that cost me around 600$ in parts and the only game it worked on was AC. Bucket seat came out of a 1100rwhp ford and the desk i made up myself as there was nothing on market that i could adjust the seat and pedals so that 4 year old could play.  

much cheaper than racing the car :) 

received_542148926259723.jpeg

received_320679742114128.jpeg

received_2101741446557035.jpeg

13 minutes ago, DrSK said:

After taking a skim through these I was thinking track car! Or at least track days and just drive what you have. 

After seeing tesla on pikes peak hillclimb, i think electric cars will be the next best thing for track.   I had rear diff oil, front diff oil , Transfer case oil,  AYC oil, ACD oil, damn gearbox oil, - none of that in electric car.  Oh and every time i crashed in the sim i smiled :)  But again it's whole different feeling going flat stick in a car. 

3 hours ago, DrSK said:

I've actually bought a set of EBC Red pads for the Model X to be able to give it a run, not sure the road tyres would hold up for long though with the weight. Finding 22" semi-slicks will be pricey!! 

2 hours ago, Pasic007 said:

After seeing tesla on pikes peak hillclimb, i think electric cars will be the next best thing for track.   I had rear diff oil, front diff oil , Transfer case oil,  AYC oil, ACD oil, damn gearbox oil, - none of that in electric car.  Oh and every time i crashed in the sim i smiled :)  But again it's whole different feeling going flat stick in a car. 

Just read this after replying above. On the drag strip it definitely works - in the X we ran consistent 11.2 sec passes on street tyres/pressures, a passenger and all my normal "family car" stuff in the frunk..

Track will be a different story. Hoping to get a chance to change the pads soon as two big stops from high speeds and it got smelly, third stop was a little interesting.. 🤣

3 hours ago, Pasic007 said:

i haven't tried VR, but i got into flying drone's ( FPV racing ) and that was crazy weird seeing through drones camera on goggles. You get used it. 

Here's few pics of my rig. I built this back in 2017.  Hydraulic handbrake was a challenge, that cost me around 600$ in parts and the only game it worked on was AC. Bucket seat came out of a 1100rwhp ford and the desk i made up myself as there was nothing on market that i could adjust the seat and pedals so that 4 year old could play.  

much cheaper than racing the car :) 

So good! Nice one! 👍

22 minutes ago, caminperth said:

I've actually bought a set of EBC Red pads for the Model X to be able to give it a run, not sure the road tyres would hold up for long though with the weight. Finding 22" semi-slicks will be pricey!! 

Oh I've read a lot about EBC Red pads, was popular option in our community. 

22s yikes, you probably very limited in options as well.

I would check what the smallest rim is you can fit and get some rubber for that. Probably save few Kgs on rotating mass as well. 

24 minutes ago, Pasic007 said:

Oh I've read a lot about EBC Red pads, was popular option in our community. 

22s yikes, you probably very limited in options as well.

I would check what the smallest rim is you can fit and get some rubber for that. Probably save few Kgs on rotating mass as well. 

I think the smallest possible is 20" so by the time I get new rims and tyres it's probably just worth getting the 22s! Either way, it's the cost of admission I guess.. 

Guest DrSK
2 hours ago, caminperth said:

Hopefully the rest of the brakes are up to it too. Vaporising fluid etc is something I've found with spirited driving on road cars. Pedal goes to sponge. Lost my brakes a few times before going up mountain roads back in NZ in my Subaru and Mazda. Always more cautious going down. 

Edited by DrSK

• 4 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/08/2021 at 10:16 PM, caminperth said:

Much like!

How did you integrate it?

Two custom made plates, one under pedals and the other under the seat with two aurasound  shakers off two $30 sounds cards from store DJ.

Had an amazing feel when the vrs DD is going off as well when you hitting curbs.

PXL_20210819_062512803.jpg

PXL_20210819_062503690.jpg

Edited by sly_bastard
  • Like 2