Audio-gd Ref 7.1

For a good value option try the Blackcat Cable Veloce - BNC connectors convertible to RCA. Available direct for about $130 or so landed I think. His background is at Stereovox. TYhere are a few others on SNA who use this cable as well.

Thanks Mark... So basically this is the junior to the XV Ultra..?

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Mark... So basically this is the junior to the XV Ultra..?

I believe it is equivalent to a superseded Stereovox model that was previously top of the line. I guess that would make it the junior version of the current Sterovox.

Hi Scuzzi

I have the Black Cat and love it: great value for money.

Good to see you posting BTW.

Cheers

A

Hi Andrew - yep great to be back.. I'm seriously considering it or the XV. I just want to make sure i add absolutely not brightness into my system. I've been offered a lend of the XV in a few weeks. I'd normally just buy the Black Cat and if I liked the XV upgrade, but BNC is a smaller market to sell second hand I suspect..

Hi Scuzzi,

Dont mean to crash the party, but i've just ordered a CD7FV as well so will be looking forward to your cable review. Same boat as you, dont want any high or midrange harshness or sibilance in my future cable..

Shogo was kind enough to give me his RCA - BNC cable from Blue Jeans, which is a 75ohm cable, to use with his former A-GD Dac3, but there is a hint of midrange harshness and sibilance with that cable.

Hi Scuzzi,

Dont mean to crash the party, but i've just ordered a CD7FV as well so will be looking forward to your cable review. Same boat as you, dont want any high or midrange harshness or sibilance in my future cable..

Shogo was kind enough to give me his RCA - BNC cable from Blue Jeans, which is a 75ohm cable, to use with his former A-GD Dac3, but there is a hint of midrange harshness and sibilance with that cable.

well let you know Katattack. Might try the Black Cat first off anyway.. I'm guessing from what Andrew mentions above the RCA connectors would mean the cable could be used as a non BNC one anyway.. (thanks Andrew)

I have a vdH digital Coax that isnt by any means bright if you are after a coax..

will play around with cables once my system settles in, atm i have shogo's 6SN7's and 6SL7's tube collection that is quite entertaining. Interesting to know how the sound changes signature with each tube combo. Got over 20 different tube combos to play with.

True, the same can be said for thier ACSS rigs, if u're going to ACSS, go all the way rather with the whole shebang, cd transport, dac, amp. IMO their single ended dacs are so underated, because a lot of consumers 'fear' their marketing terminology for it being 'musical' in signature..

what is ACSS?

ACSS (Audio-gd Current Signal System) is Audio-gd's system for transmitting audio signals in the current domain. This concept, first seen in 1966, we have used for many years, and since 2006, have evolved the technology to include all audio signals in our systems from the digital source to the power amplifier. Since 2005, ACSS comp5nts have become Audio-gd's most popular products

ACSS (Audio-gd Current Signal System) is Audio-gd's system for transmitting audio signals in the current domain. This concept, first seen in 1966, we have used for many years, and since 2006, have evolved the technology to include all audio signals in our systems from the digital source to the power amplifier. Since 2005, ACSS comp5nts have become Audio-gd's most popular products

any idea what that actually means?

Hi Scuzzi,

katattack I don't suppose You'd be so kind as to bring your CD-7 down to StKilda when it suits you - I want to hear what it sounds like in my system, if it's better than my computer playback system.

I believe it means you basically skip output sections of each respective device and feed the next item in the food chain a direct signal.

And I assume that for it to work ALL your components would have to be Audio GD.

ACSS was/is also used by Naim under a different name, if I recall correctly. It's a variable-current topology rather than variable-voltage. (Again... IIRC.)

I've heard a Ref7 with the Audio-GD pre-amp and compared balanced to ACSS connections. The ACSS was clearly more detailed and less noisy, especially noticeable in the top end. (No the levels weren't perfectly matched but yes the testing was done blind - I had no idea what sources I was comparing as the pre-amp inputs were switched.)

It's always problematic when you make comparisons with proprietary technologies: are you listening to a true advance, or is the component optimised to work best with that technology and that's why it sounds worse when it's switched off?

It's always problematic when you make comparisons with proprietary technologies: are you listening to a true advance, or is the component optimised to work best with that technology and that's why it sounds worse when it's switched off?

Interesting. Are you aiming that comment at the DAC or the pre-amp? Because lots of people are raving about Audio-GD's DAC performance compared with other DACs based on tests using regular RCA or balanced outputs. I guess we'd have to also compare the Ref7 balanced output via another well-regarded pre-amp.

I use audio-gd CD7FV and REF8 DAC which was their top of range DAC without ACCS. Getting back to the thread I was looking at Audio-GD website there is and Audio-GD REF7.1 send to Australia on March 2 for John Australia. Was that for you Johnny Darko ?

• 5 weeks later...