Yamaha Speakers Owners & Discussion Thread

Guest Hensa
16 minutes ago, JSmith said:

Why, because it is Yamaha and not something more "fancy"?

JSmith :ninja:

Not in my case. Rather, because I don't value the sound produced at $20K compared to other options.

8 minutes ago, Be Quiet...Listen said:

Read above comments @JSmith

Sorry, do you mean you agree with Hensa or should I be looking at a particular post from 13 pages over 3 years? ... have read the last 3 pages before I posted. :)

JSmith :ninja:

The Ns5000 in that perth audio shop sounded better than the $35k Tannoy in that room alongside them, better than Magico $100k, B&W 802D $35k, last version B&W 801, $30k Sonus Faber Amati, VAF I93, Spendor S100 infact better than any cone driver speaker that I have heard. In the context of that league of speakers it is clearly significant.

We love our legendary vintage NS1000, 1000x, 2000 etc but there will be a time when the wheels will fall off them repair and maintenance wise and dedicated lovers of this type of Yamaha speaker will need to consider committing to Ns5000 sooner or later so either get with the program, look elsewhere or languish in the past and in the paddocks.

First to go will be the Ns2000 as Ns1000 used parts can be found but Ns2000 parts are near impossible, one blown tweeter and they will be near useless and then face a choice of substitute non matching Ns1000 tweeter, or custom tweeter replacement with crossover circuit changes and then their appeal and value will evaporate faster than camel pee in the Tanami desert.

We are very clearly looking at the precipice of the past and present future in this legendary series of Yamaha speaker.

An Ns1000 in the mid 70s cost about $1700 in comparison to a medium sized family car of $4000 so is comparative today and 300,000 Ns1000 sold since then world wide.

For starters there was/is a used Ns5000 in Japan Hifido site for US$10k

Refer to first ever lengthy review how fab they are in SNA way back in this thread in post #4 Feb 2017 in this link:

Edited by Al.M
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Heard these the other week, they sounded exceptional, very transparent with excellent transient attack these were the things that stood out. Sounded amazing with anything natural - jazz, acoustic, vocals, classical I could have (wanted to) listened to jazz all day on them even though its not my favourite genre..With jazz I can't see much touching them sonically. They have a electrostatic like quality with dynamic drive - perfect for jazz I think. very cohesive integrated, real and seamless sound.

However anything else e.g rock, commercial etc sounded pretty unappealing and unlistenable. Overly bright and harsh.

The amp was a musical fidelity, might have had a better experience with warmer ss.

If I were a jazz aficionado these would be the speakers I'd want to own. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

Finally got myself a pair, very happy with them does everything I been hearing in the showroom. Looking for better eventual amps to match but getting good results with a KT88 50w tube amp and 200W Solid state Goldmund copy amp. The tube amp is sublimely musical, massive deep bass, lovely voices, attack and shimmering treble less bright.

image.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

• 3 weeks later...

I read very recently that two new mid range Yamaha streaming amps are to be launched in Europe soon (R-N1000A & R-N800A) but so far there are no reviews.

Does anyone have a view on whether there will be any noticeable difference in the sound quality or performance between the two? I'm trying to work out if it's worth paying the extra money for the heavier R-N1000A, when the the R-N800A has all the features I need. So the sound character/quality would be the only thing that swings it for me. Thanks. Ali