DIY audio: what are you building?

Paul Spencer

On 3/21/2017 at 5:28 AM, betocool said:

And finished!

After some painting and coating and what not, some internal cabling, the power distributor is happily powering a DAC, a Pi and a hard drive. Left for the DAC, right for the Pi and all things PC related.IMG20170321174417.thumb.jpg.6f5aabac89f8fb60ed23c37fd2ef4522.jpg

All at the touch of two switches, and I gained two power points!

Nothing like great supplies in a shielded box, noticed the shielded filtered switched IEC, used one myself a while ago in a valve pre amp supply build, good thing.

Looks good excellent build, thanks for share

[mention=120442]Wiffle[/mention] I like your speakers. Did you build them? What is the efficiency?

Thanks Mark, I like them too! Alas, building them is beyond my capabilities; they were made by@cheekyboy and are Wyndham Acoustics BR1'S. Efficiency is 86dB, finish is Blackbutt veneer, and the sound and imaging is off the hook; the amount of bass they produce from a single 6" woofer beggars belief. Can't wait to get them hooked up to the Holton NXV500 that Anthony is currently building for me! :-)

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

30 minutes ago, Wiffle said:

Thanks Mark, I like them too! Alas, building them is beyond my capabilities; they were made by@cheekyboy and are Wyndham Acoustics BR1'S. Efficiency is 86dB, finish is Blackbutt veneer, and the sound and imaging is off the hook; the amount of bass they produce from a single 6" woofer beggars belief. Can't wait to get them hooked up to the Holton NXV500 that Anthony is currently building for me! :-)

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Thanks for the very kind words, Wiffle, I'm pleased you're enjoying the BR1s, they're a sensational loudspeaker. Just one correction if I may please, we're Wyndham Audio, not Wyndham Acoustics, although I don't mind the latter actually.:D

22 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

They do look good and will well suite a nice gutsy amp. Any idea what drivers he uses and what is the Xover point and what order/s Xover are they?

Hi Mark, you can find a lot of the information you're after here. More than happy to make you a pair of BR1s.............drop me a PM if you're interested.:thumb:

Cheers,

Keith

• Like 2

@Sub Sonic it's a 4ohm car audio driver. MW162gt. 

Youre not gonna tell me you just happen to have a spare laying around are you?!! 

Ive poked and prodded at the back of the poly cone as best I can to see what I can do with this driver in the meantime. But know a replacement might well be in order. Most likely nearly as cheap as any decent repair.

31 minutes ago, shaky said:

@Sub Sonic it's a 4ohm car audio driver. MW162gt. 

Youre not gonna tell me you just happen to have a spare laying around are you?!! 

Ive poked and prodded at the back of the poly cone as best I can to see what I can do with this driver in the meantime. But know a replacement might well be in order. Most likely nearly as cheap as any decent repair.

Sorry @shaky, I have some 17W75s but not the car ones unfortunately!

Regards,

SS

• 3 weeks later...

A short time back I posted images etc. of a 6L6GC SE UL power amp I made in a wine gift box. I probably said just how darn good it sounded (and still does being used on a daily basis). 

I'm an avid Stereophile reader and have enjoyed Art Dudley's reviews. He loves his tube amps and raves about his Shindo Haut-brion 20W tube amp. Infact I think it is his reference. To my surprise I discovered the amp uses 6L6 tubes in push-pull config. 

The first time I heard my JJ 6L6 tubes was in a DIY PP amp and thought them awful. But in my SE UL amp I think they are stunning. Interesting to learn the AD's amp uses the same tube and he raves about it. We are both hearing something quite stunning about this power tube. Don't get me wrong I realise there is more to an amp than a couple hot bottles but what ever it is it's good.

Edited by mwhouston

I would much rather listen to your lovely DIY amp than read an (ugh) Dudley column or his views, who I have zero respect for. If your amp sounds great, and I don't doubt it, I am sure it has nothing to do with any vaguely similar amp that Dudley vamps up.

Personally I think your Vino Presento Series of amps are wonderful!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Newman said:

I would much rather listen to your lovely DIY amp than read an (ugh) Dudley column or his views, who I have zero respect for. If your amp sounds great, and I don't doubt it, I am sure it has nothing to do with any vaguely similar amp that Dudley vamps up.

Personally I think your Vino Presento Series of amps are wonderful!

Thank you for the nice comment. I guess part of what I am saying is I don't know of many amp which use the 6L6 tube and was pleased to see it in the Shindo. If others do I like a link to them, an image or just make and model. The 6L6 usually ends up in guitar amps because it can be pushed hard for more power and is cheap. Maybe it has been waisted all this time in guitar amps and should appear more in hifi gear.

Edited by mwhouston
  • Like 1

Being cheap and being used in pro audio are two major barriers to serious credibility in audiophile circles! No-one would touch them with a barge pole unless an accredited guru finds one being used in a $20,000 exotica amp designed by a legend. That changes everything!

DIY audio is completely different world where personal experimentation yields personal 'finds', and I think that's great.

Edited by Newman
expansion
  • Like 3