Crowson Actuators

Anyone running Crowson actuators? I was considering getting some shakers but the Crowson's seem like they are end game material or so the pricing makes them that way!!  Are they really that much better than shakers?

Also, are there any Australian retailers?

Cheers

And yes they are endgame

You will never have to update or upgrade from them

Buy once and enjoy !!

If in Melbourne I'm happy to demo for you ?!

I think the issue I would run into is that the 4 "feet" on my seats are in the centre attached to the metal and not actually under the corners of the wood construction. Would that make a difference as its not part of the frame as such? It looks like my recliner never touches the ground on the sides or the corners

And yes they are endgame
You will never have to update or upgrade from them
Buy once and enjoy !!
If in Melbourne I'm happy to demo for you ?!
I'm in Sydney but thank you very much for the offer to audition. Very kind indeed!

• 3 months later...

Sorry I’m a bit late to your topic, in regards to using with recliners, they work well.

these are my recliners. I use the 2 on the left.

99957C2B-6393-4583-A477-B70073063C13.thumb.jpeg.f89e1dff438ce53f697becccb52e1cde.jpeg

Here is at the front, I used existing holes in the frame for the isolation pads.

489F63E5-8262-49BB-83ED-F26B1750BA1A.thumb.jpeg.63d34eb4aff307d1c5c70e65da8a352f.jpeg

And here is the back where I have 2 crowsons. I used some plastic discs between the metal frame and the actuator.

148E45F5-F741-4049-8321-71DCAE04570B.thumb.jpeg.ac240d499ba117a631c9168184a4adbc.jpeg

As as you can see, I have 4 seater, but just have 2 money seats. They have a better effect at the back of the seats for mine. I bolted the two money chair together so they don’t rattle.

Edited by brabs
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Just investigating this myself. I've a three seater, and really only need it for the middle seat (mine). But not sure as connected if it'd mean too much loss. So you have it rear rail. Are those white feet at the front the ones that come with the Crowson, or what comes with the couch? If crowson, did you need to replace all feet on the couch with them?

These were the feet that came with the crowsons , I removed a couple of plastic feet that were already on the recliners. I originally had the crowsons on the front and noticed it was more effect on my legs, but on the back when reclined the effect is in my bum and back. Much more intense.

with the 3 seater you would best benefit from 2 crowsons on back corners. You could use one on the back corner, and would still get a good effect but probably half as good as 2.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, brabs said:

These were the feet that came with the crowsons , I removed a couple of plastic feet that were already on the recliners. I originally had the crowsons on the front and noticed it was more effect on my legs, but on the back when reclined the effect is in my bum and back. Much more intense.

with the 3 seater you would best benefit from 2 crowsons on back corners. You could use one on the back corner, and would still get a good effect but probably half as good as 2.

Thanks. So 2, you mean two transducers, as in what comes with the Crowson T108SS?

Also, where in Australia do you get them from? The only place I've seen listed is the Lifestylestore, but can't find much about them. Other than a thread at whirlpool on being a bit disorganized...

Cheers

1 hour ago, Mobe1969 said:

Thanks. So 2, you mean two transducers, as in what comes with the Crowson T108SS?

Also, where in Australia do you get them from? The only place I've seen listed is the Lifestylestore, but can't find much about them. Other than a thread at whirlpool on being a bit disorganized...

Yes, I purchased mine about 5yrs ago on eBay, the rep was selling them, they were ex demo, and got them for a steal, embarrassingly cheap.

they have brought the most enjoyment in my HT, equal with the projector. He put his business card in the kit box. I’ll try and dig it put of the shed if it’s there.

Edited by brabs
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, brabs said:

Yes, I purchased mine about 5yrs ago on eBay, the rep was selling them, they were ex demo, and got them for a steal, embarrassingly cheap.

they have brought the most enjoyment in my HT, equal with the projector. He put his business card in the kit box. I’ll try and dig it put of the shed if it’s there.

Thanks, I'd appreciate it! Not after a bargain (although it'd be great), just a recommended seller!

On 9 September 2019 at 2:47 PM, Mobe1969 said:

Just investigating this myself. I've a three seater, and really only need it for the middle seat (mine). But not sure as connected if it'd mean too much loss. So you have it rear rail. Are those white feet at the front the ones that come with the Crowson, or what comes with the couch? If crowson, did you need to replace all feet on the couch with them?

They give you rubber feet that are same height as the actuator

put actuator on rear leg of seat and matching height rubber on corresponding front leg of seat 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jeffpr said:

i got mine from ...oceanic distribution... 19/22 northumberland rd caringbah nsw 2229...ph 1300556303 about 2 1/2 years ago.

Thanks. I emailed them and they got back to me already. asking what I was after I am waiting on a reply .

Anyone tried these with amps other than Crowson? I see some people on AVS were using the Behringer inukes - the older model. The NX is the new ones. I like the idea of having one with a DSP in it.

Edited by Mobe1969

8 hours ago, Mobe1969 said:

Thanks. I emailed them and they got back to me already. asking what I was after I am waiting on a reply .

Anyone tried these with amps other than Crowson? I see some people on AVS were using the Behringer inukes - the older model. The NX is the new ones. I like the idea of having one with a DSP in it.

I use 2 channels on one of my rotel rmb-1077. Giving them around 170w at 6ohms each.

before that I used a behringer a500 which has similar watts, But the rotel definitely had flatter and more tactile response at 5hz.

150w will still give an awesome experience. You don’t need 500w

Edited by brabs
Error
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, brabs said:

I use 2 channels on one of my rotel rmb-1077. Giving them around 170w at 6ohms each.

before that I used a behringer a500 which has similar watts, But the rotel definitely had flatter and more tactile response at 5hz.

150w will still give an awesome experience. You don’t need 500w

Thanks. So if I can find a 2 channel Rotel equivalent of that model, it would be better and smoother. I'll do some research. Cheers.

1 hour ago, Mobe1969 said:

Thanks. So if I can find a 2 channel Rotel equivalent of that model, it would be better and smoother. I'll do some research. Cheers.

You just need to find an amp that has a very low subsonic response. It’s harder than it should be as most amps usually specify 20hz-20khz. I originally chose the behringer as I had found a review online that stated it was only. -1db down at 10hz and -4db down at 5hz.

i had an intermittent issue with one of the amp channels cutting out, so I tried the rotel, as I had some unused channels. I used an app on my iPhone to measure vibration to confirm the rotel had more grunt at 5hz. It is a class d amp. Im not sure how the class a/b models perform, will take a bit of research.

Edited by brabs
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, brabs said:

It is a class d amp. Im not sure how the class a/b models perform, will take a bit of research.

There's no fixed rule. Any class amps can have infrasonic grunt if they're so designed. Mine go down to 0.5Hz -3dB.

Edited by Ittaku

Having an amp with  dsp in it would also be helpful, or at least a low pass filter down to 30hz. 

One without a fan would be nice. 

The Behringer passes one of those, but I see on avs they do fan replacements for quieter fans.

Too much research! I guess I should search for subwoofer amp?

Edited by Mobe1969

Yes, looking is seems like the Behringer is a good fit for a crowson, just the fact it is fan cooled and by default, noisy, is a bit of an issue.

I am thinking I might have to go that way and do the fan mod. I do like the fact it does have good low pass filter capability - and configurable. And it being a third of the price of the Crowson one doesn't hurt either... The cabling is a bit annoying.  RCA to XLR...