Chord Electronics Owners & Discussion Thread

Guest AndrewC

it looks like Chord will be unveiling a new product this weekend at London Can Jam. if you are a current DAVE owner, then you might want to look at this... skip to 4:15 ;)

Isn’t that the already announced Choral Étude Stereo Amp? :P

http://www.audioxpress.com/news/chord-electronics-introduces-new-choral-etude-stereo-power-amplifier

Chord Electronics Introduces New Choral Étude Stereo Power Amplifier

Chord Electronics has chosen High End 2018 to unveil a brand new analogue amplifier topology design, the company’s first for nearly 30 years. Although many improvements have been introduced along the way, the new Choral Etude stereo power amp provides a glimpse of what's coming for the British company, "highly advanced, it heralds a new era for powerful, wide bandwidth, low noise and low distortion amplifiers," Chord states.

width=600https://cdn.xingosoftware.com/audioxpress/images/fetch/dpr_2,w_1200/http%3A%2F%2Fwww.audioxpress.com%2Fassets%2Fupload%2Fimages%2F1%2F20180521184503_ChordElectronicsEtudeinEnsembleStandWeb.jpg[/img]

John Franks talks about it on Darko’s channel - parts of the design apparently coming from consultant Robert “Bob” Cordell (@ 5.50). Bob’s original paper on the feed-forward error correction for MOSFETs can be found here

[embed=425,349]

[/embed] 

It’ll be interesting to get my hands on this amp at some point and benchmark it against my main Amp ;D

I don't think it is the Choral Étude Stereo Amp - the Étude is no longer a secret since it has been publicly announced. I think it's another new product altogether... :)

I can see myself getting the Étude someday when I get a chance to build a proper stereo system.

Guest wusplay

the new product should be a stand alone MScaler. but it will be a surprise if it is in a form factor matching TT2 rather than Dave

Guest AndrewC

I don't think it is the Choral Étude Stereo Amp - the Étude is no longer a secret since it has been publicly announced. I think it's another new product altogether... :)

I can see myself getting the Étude someday when I get a chance to build a proper stereo system.

Hmmm… You’re probably right… Assuming that covered up unit in the vid is the actual unit, the size doesn’t match the Étude.

The Étude is definitely an attractive piece just based on some of it’s technical details and size. Interestingly though, the “feed-forward error correction” technique designed by Cordell is based on work done by the illustrious Dr. Malcolm Hawksford, co-founder of LFD Audio… But the Étude is “Fan Cooled”??… thats a deal-breaker right there ;D…

Cello had a pre-amp called Étude… :P

the new product should be a stand alone MScaler. but it will be a surprise if it is in a form factor matching TT2 rather than Dave

That should be interesting! Could be a market game-changer for owners of 3rd party DAC without good upsampling! ;D

if the new product is indeed a standalone M-scaler, then I foresee it eating up the sales of DAVE and Blu2. most folks would probably invest in the Hugo 2 and standalone M-scaler in order to achieve the SQ of the BluDAVE.

Isn't the Dave better than the Hugo 2??? Why not Dave and the new M Scaler? Makes sense for those totally not into CDs no?

I think the idea is to achieve the SQ of DAVE via a cheaper route by combining the Hugo2 with the rumoured M scaler.

If it's indeed an mscaler in tt form factor then have to see how's the heat dissipation of the chip in a smaller chassis.

The blu runs warm to touch even in standby mode playing digital files in that larger form factor.

I think the Blu 2 still has a place in the Chord product portfolio as long as CD transports are still in demand ? I’ve been using the Blu 2 since late last year and I don’t feel compelled to sell it in favor of the Hugo M- scaler. I do foresee current owners of the DAVE and Hugo TT2 investing in the Hugo M- scaler.

Guest AndrewC

Very nice… I’ll surely pick one up as soon as possible... It’ll fit perfectly in my bedroom system between the dCS Network Bridge (which doesn’t do any upsampling) and DAVE.

Could I use an existing CD transport to the MScaler to work like a Blu Transport.

Absolutely. Or any streamer that outputs PCM. The only thing you’ve got to watch out for is that your DAC supports “AES3id” inputs - thats the Dual AES3 over BNC standard that the M Scaler uses for the full 705.6k/768k PCM streams. Any lesser rate and you’re not fully utilising all of the 1M taps.

At less than half the price of Blu2, there’s really no doubt it will have an impact on Blu2 sales (which I’m sure Chord is fully expecting). But kind of surprised though that it doesn’t have a native Ethernet port… quite regressive w.r.t streaming.  Also, the aesthetics is positively horrible, the whole Hugo line in fact, butt ugly ;D... Wish they’d used the Choral range design for this M Scaler.

Guest AndrewC

I meant in conjunction with the DAVE or TT2

Absolutely not a problem. M Scaler doesn't care whats the source of the redbook stream, and DAVE/TT2 won't even know any different. There's no control channel between Chord's various components. :)

Guest AndrewC

wonder if the HMS and TT2 can be powered by a powerbank. I have a location with no AC, but bringing in a powerbank is fine.

Yes!:)... According the charts Rob presented at CanJam... “Powers from 9 to 15V - portable battery bank can power it” (see vid below).

Rob confirms the M Scaler is exactly the same upsampler/filter circuits as Blu2... “Obviously this is less than half the price… are you losing anything if you buy an M Scaler? No. In fact you’re gaining some extra bits because its less sensitive to <something-can’t quite make it out>“... definitely sounds like they’re ready to have M Scaler cannibalise Blu2 sales ;D

About the M Scaler starts @ 1.20m, comparison to Blu2 @ 5.30m

[embed=425,349]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZciJFvU4XQc[/embed]

my bludave is sorted out already, but I'm looking for a setup at a location that dont have access to mains which is currently using a H2.

Looks like TT2/HMS would be the sandwich to go for with a powerbank. But are there USB A to whichever connector they use cables?

Guest AndrewC

[embed=425,349]

[/embed]

In answering a question about how M Scaler compares to Blu2

(@30.19mins)

“I’ve managed to eliminate the need for Ferrites… So, umm, thats because I’ve improved the isolation of the BNC outputs. So, you don’t need to worry about ferrites. In fact, listening test that we were doing, ferrites actually make it sound slightly worse, which is bizarre. So the isolation of the output drivers on the BNC has been improved, but the actual code is identical.”

Time to ditch Blu2 (... just teasing ;D)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Just thought I’d start a thread about the Chord Hugo M Scaler, I’m going to the big smoke tomorrow morning to pick one up to pair with my Chord Qutest, so it’ll be interesting to see how it goes. I’ve already heard the difference an up Scaler can make, but this ones on steroids. 

So if you have heard one or own one, what are your opinions?

Im looking forward to seeing how it plays out. 

I am also going to have to look into a nice pair of BNC cables, so if anyone has any suggestions on those, it would be appreciated ?

I simply loves DAC’s for some reason ?

6ECE7BB5-7E7D-4B86-A76B-5AEED86AE92B.jpeg

Edited by Sime V2