Denon AVR Help Needed

Hi all,

I am having no luck with my AVR at the moment. I have decided to use some little satellites for my L&R but still my Aaron as the centre. When choosing the sound modes I can only select 'multi channel in' the Dolby and DTS functions are gone.

This is only happening with my PC connected via HDMI. I have gone through all the AVRs settings and the sound settings on the PC too and can't seem to figure it out. I am pretty sure I did something in the past to get it like this but I can't remember what. Other inputs with other sources Dolby etc is still there.

It is only a problem now because multi channel in adopts the native format and most things on Youtube etc are in stereo and obviously the satellites sound pretty poor so I want the centre to be the main point of sound. I am leaning towards it being a setting on my PC

I have also lost the ARC function and TV audio via the HDMI (all working perfectly before) but this isn't as much of a concern and it has been a pain in the arse anyways over the years and sorts itself out usually.

Any help is greatly appreciated

1 minute ago, Bunno77 said:

Thanks Tarkan. 

I did a quick search and on AVS it says to set speaker config to stereo in the PCs audio settings and now Dolby is back.

Now for the ARC issue haha

I believe for arc you need some chicken bones, crow feathers and perhaps a witches brew... but there is some debate of the need for that :D 

1 minute ago, :) al said:

I believe for arc you need some chicken bones, crow feathers and perhaps a witches brew... but there is some debate of the need for that :D 

Haha that made me laugh

Yeah it has always been a bit tempramental for me. Up until 2 weeks ago though it was all fine and using chromecast (plugged into AVR) from my phone would turn on the AVR and TV.

• Like 1

Any DTV gurus who can help with the ARC problem?
I switched the HDMI cable from TV to AVR but not help. The thing that is bothering me is the Chromecast is plugged into the AVR and it used to switch the unit on but now it doesn't.
In the setting HDMI control is still on.

3 hours ago, Bunno77 said:

Any DTV gurus who can help with the ARC problem?
I switched the HDMI cable from TV to AVR but not help. The thing that is bothering me is the Chromecast is plugged into the AVR and it used to switch the unit on but now it doesn't.
In the setting HDMI control is still on.

Bunno ;don't have a denon but does yours have separate HDMI CEC ARC  controls for power on and return audio like my yammie ? Worth digging into the sub menus for this. Its a problem that one protocol relies on another and will be a lot better when E-ARC turns up with HDMI2.1 ;)

• Like 2

On 18/08/2018 at 2:21 PM, cwt said:

Bunno ;don't have a denon but does yours have separate HDMI CEC ARC  controls for power on and return audio like my yammie ? Worth digging into the sub menus for this. Its a problem that one protocol relies on another and will be a lot better when E-ARC turns up with HDMI2.1 ;)

Mine is the same as Marantz... It does have some options but nothing was changed and it stopped working

22 hours ago, bris007 said:

What brand of TV do you have? I have a Panasonic and I have to set it to Home Cinema mode in the sound menu. Do you have your HDMI plugged into the specific ARC HDMI port on your TV?

TV is a Sony.

Yeah it is set to Audio System.

Yeah mate

Everything was working and then stopped without anything being touched. Think I need to disconnect everything and add 1 at a time and hope to find the culprit

Guest thathifiguy
22 minutes ago, Bunno77 said:

Mine is the same as Marantz... It does have some options but nothing was changed and it stopped working

Welcome to the fiddly world of HDMI CEC. In my experience, the only thing that fixed this was to disconnect all power from the wall for a couple of minutes, then reconnect.

Welcome to the fiddly world of HDMI CEC. In my experience, the only thing that fixed this was to disconnect all power from the wall for a couple of minutes, then reconnect.

That's a good idea. Will definitely do that with everything.
I have no idea how I fixed it last time either haha

Guest thathifiguy

I used to occasionally experience it when I was using the HDMI handshaking control.

Sometimes The amp just wouldn't switch on for example, and even after I turned it on, it wouldn't produce any sound.

I switched off my powerboard and unplugged it from power for a couple of minutes, reconnected and it would all work again.

Started happening too often, so I gave up on CEC and went back to using a Logitech Harmony.

10 hours ago, Bunno77 said:

If its not something to do with your cablings  cec signalling  try a different start up order so your denon can tell your htpc what it doesn't want while the ARC sends what it does . Its hit and miss this stuff ; my pana doesn't mute its speakers when Ime using ARC to my system ; its like an echo machine till I hit the volume :rolleyes: probably missing something obvious no doubt

Edited by cwt

• 1 month later...
27 minutes ago, Bunno77 said:

ARC decided to start working today without me touching it for weeks. Who knows what was happening haha

glad you fixed

with my setup sometimes to get arc working i need to power off completely both the avr and tv wait a couple minutes then power on also sometimes the tv's have an option to turn arc off and on so toggling that sometimes helps aswell

• Like 1

glad you fixed
with my setup sometimes to get arc working i need to power off completely both the avr and tv wait a couple minutes then power on also sometimes the tv's have an option to turn arc off and on so toggling that sometimes helps aswell
Thanks mate. Yep did that weeks ago.
I didn't touch it today. It just worked by itself