Yammy 3083 Issue

Well I decided to finally upgrade my old Yam 3800 after many years of faithful service and replace it with a 3083.

After coming to terms with its setup and functions I have felt that it was ready to go.

But!!!

The dam thing looses picture momentarily and once it starts it becomes more common and may continue on for  indefinately.

Needless to say it's a major source of frustration and disappointment now.

So unless anyone has any ideas it looks like it's back to the retailer for an exchange unit .:(

Yep big bugger.

No sparkles before drop out. 

The picture is perfect until it disappears for only a second or two, but once it starts it becomes routine happening a few times every minute. 

The HDMI run is about 12 metres but this has never been an issue before.

The unit will also happily pass through the signal with out any issues and run directly from Oppo to the PJ without any drama .

This is my 5/6th? Yammy receiver and the first one to have such issues. It's the only component in the chain to have been replaced.

3 minutes ago, joz said:

The HDMI run is about 12 metres but this has never been an issue before.

Only passing 1080p I assume?

... still, the new HDMI board in the Yammy might not like this 12m cable. Could be worth trying something else or even an optical/Ethernet/powered solution.

Then again, the HDMI board or a connection could be stuffed in the new unit... hard to say.

JSmith :ninja:

• Like 1

Yep only 1080p.

I'm tipping (hoping) it's the HDMI board but I won't be able to tell until I get the unit replaced.

or

What I may try first is connecting one of the other HDMI outs to another screen to see what happens.

• Like 1

but once it starts it becomes routine happening a few times every minute. 

Sounds a lot like the hdmi edid handshake as Al said Joz ; comms occurs every few seconds continuously so a bung transceiver may be it . Does it happen with all the hdmi ins ? That will possibly confirm.  

5 hours ago, :) al said:

What is it’s output on the yam set at video wise ?

is it only 4k uhd hdmi 2.0 hdcp2.2 device in chain ?

could be can’t negotiate handshake ?

hdmi Cec switched off everywhere ?

Had it set to 1080p , tried through, tried both ouputs.

No 4k at all in the chain.

CEC?? what is this thing that you speak off?

5 minutes ago, cwt said:

Sounds a lot like the hdmi edid handshake as Al said Joz ; comms occurs every few seconds continuously so a bung transceiver may be it . Does it happen with all the hdmi ins ? That will possibly confirm.  

Yep all the inputs.

I tried both the Oppo outs into two separate inputs simultaneously  and both stumbled.

Also Foxtel as a source also spat it.

1 minute ago, joz said:

Yep all the inputs.

I tried both the Oppo outs into two separate inputs simultaneously  and both stumbled.

Also Foxtel as a source also spat it.

Looks like the whole board then . CEC  is part of the comms that units use to tell each other what their capabilities are and even switch units of and on automatically . The different ce's unfortunately have there own way of implementing this with proprietary methods ie Samsung use anynet ; Panasonic use viera link etc . So worth switching them all off to take them out of the equation .

2 minutes ago, joz said:

Good Grief.

Straight out of the box :(

straight out of box these things can have CEC switched on. and it can create havoc. I had no end of of bother and had to turn off even in my old pio kuro and it wasnt easy to turn off. in their case they called it "Kuro Link" and worth turning off as this stuff even works when stuff is in standby ! 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, joz said:

Good Grief.

Straight out of the box :(

The yam has a complicated video processor that may be a factor too as it also transcodes analog component into hdmi by the looks ;   many these days just do passthrough as hdmi takes over.. Hope its an easy fix ; hdmi  is not consumer friendly..

Yamaha video processing optimises video content

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

I'd also suggest making sure the Yammie has the latest firmware. Not unusual for tech gear to ship with the initial "beta" firmware and leave it to users to update.

Done, no joy :(

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, joz said:

Sure thing.

But the unit starts out fine then about 10-20 mins in starts to choke.

this is odd ! perhaps a faulty unit indeed. if working for that length of time before issue 

• Like 1

Most professional installers now recommend a maximum length HDMI cable of 7 meters... 

Anything over that becomes the territory of HD-BaseT or HDMI over IP.

I'm guessing your new receiver doesn't like the long cable.

To double check everything has the best chances of working...

Go into 'Advanced Settings' (Google how to do this) and ensure it's set to 4K Mode 2.

While you're in the 'Advanced Settings', make sure you do a Video Initialize - it will reset your HDMI board / video processing.

Turn off video processing.

Turn off all CEC functionality.

Turn off any 'deep colour' options on the blu-ray etc.

48 minutes ago, Dunnersfella said:

Most professional installers now recommend a maximum length HDMI cable of 7 meters... 

Anything over that becomes the territory of HD-BaseT or HDMI over IP.

just as headsup over 2m and upto 7 meters its best to get premium certified hdmi cables  which quite cheaply with mono price line. between 7-10m we have a officeworks 10m comsol cable that works reliably. above 10m there is only one choice of ruipro hdmi cable so no need to go hd-base T or hdmi over IP :)

Alrighty then..

Now this has done my head in over the weekend and the feeling of pulling out and returning the receiver was not  on my want to do list over the weekend. I mean why has all my existing cabling done the job with aplomb up to now? it's Nordost Wirewizard, so should be good eh?

So not wanting to keep a dodgey unit I had come to the conclusion it had to come out.

But the one last thing I thought I'd try. I unplugged and re plugged each socket about a dozen or so times because each HDMI socket was kind of tight and really grippy.

Now I don't know what and why but it's all working now without a fault:party

• Like 3
  • Haha 1