Hard Rubbish Find - Coral 8F-60's

Guest CCallil

Guest CCallil

Hi all,
Strange day walking home today. Come across these two out for hard rubbish and thought, I'll bring them home for the cabinets alone (I'd estimate 20-30kgs each).
Opened them up and found a pair of Coral 8F-60, full-range drivers.
Don't know at this stage if they work, but I'm wondering does anyone has experience with them? 
When I have the time over the next few days, I'll hook them up to a cheap amp and see. 
Regards.

- Chris

unnamed (2).jpg

unnamed (1).jpg

unnamed (3).jpg

unnamed (4).jpg

unnamed.jpg

Guest CCallil
1 hour ago, joz said:

I must walk in the wrong neighbourhood.

I'd say just sheer dumb luck. I've never come across something like this before. 

50 minutes ago, ThirdDrawerDown said:

Inner city northern. It's all wireless in those parts nowadays.  Them units need wires into 'em.

Ones trash, is another's treasure..

Guest CCallil
24 minutes ago, mwhouston said:

Mate, great find. You'll love them.  Look good too. Easy refurbish if working to bring them to full life. 

I'll send them off for a service if functional, cabinets should be an easy cleanup. 

15 minutes ago, Yamaha Man said:

How much for the naked woman painting/print??? :hiccup

It's a Picasso print, adds to the experience..

Guest CCallil
What a great find. I'm finding my coral stuff to be exceptional. These drivers are actually in pretty good condition too.

Thanks Simon. What Coral’s are you running?

Guest CCallil
Immaculate flat-8 pair, X-VII, x-viii and would really like yo start looking for a pair of beta

I was actually interested in trying some Coral/Goodman’s full range drivers, so the luck here is a little eerie.
Originally I was looking for Beta or Flat 8, considering the move to tubes.
I’ll message you if I have any questions! You seem to be the Coral-man now.

Guest CCallil
1 minute ago, ray4410 said:

is that a pair of jbl jubals(L65) in the background,use to have a pair of those wished i still had them,another brain dead moment in my life whe i sold them.

Yes they are Ray, recently restored. Quite stunning units, picky with placement and room arrangement but I have some new stands on the way. The tweeter has a lifelike presentation.

Guest CCallil

UPDATE:
- Powered the units up using a random Toshiba SC-335 / SY-335 pair (40WPC).
- One speaker seems fully functioning, the other has rattling/fuzziness.
- Pulled both drivers out, the 'faulty' one seems just have loose foam? I honestly think they think they turfed them for this reason.. :cool:
- Still listening to the working one while writing this, smooth is a good word for them. No sparkling highs like the L65's 077 tweeter. But this seems an extra fix by implementing a Coral tweeter.
- Also apart from the dented dust caps, the drivers look in fantastic nic. 

Colour me impressed listening with just a cheap amp and auxiliary input/spotify. Can imagine they work wonders with tubes and a quality source.

More to come. 

IMG_0692.jpg

IMG_0690.jpg

IMG_0689.jpg

111.jpg

Edited by CCallil

Guest CCallil

UPDATE #2:
- Reconnected the 'faulty' driver, placed it back inside the cabinet. Now I'm getting no sound from it. Was very delicate and polarity is all correct. Might be a bit beyond me, probably time to send it to a techie.

Anyone recommend someone to look at full-range speaker drivers in Melbourne? 

Edited by CCallil

• 2 years later...

Here in the states those cabinets are all but non existant. I assume they are transmission line by design, as was the Coral spec. I have a pair of drivers on eBay, but I'm not all that excited to sell them. I may just see how these work in my IMF TLS-50II. Great find!  I would love to have my driver's in a cabinet as awesome as yours! 

Edited by Turntableguru
Fat fingers typing on my phone.