What is the best audio purchase you have ever made?

In the 80s, I was earning $200 cash per week assembling various speakers, more on the commercial outdoor speakers line etc rather than anything fancy and shmancy.

Was never exactly high earning - and too impetuous to save...  So I've had generic blah sound systems all along and wanting better - though as a musician, when it comes to Bass guitars/amps etc I didn't scrimp, the line in the sand is there I guess.

Anyway, 2018 and I bought a Sansui AU-317 and had it restored, modest in comparison to some of the systems on here...  But after decades of crap listening (I'm a musician, there was a big part of my heart bleeding every time I'd turn on and get such crap sound), I'm finally getting up to the fundamental starting point that I should have started at so long ago.  Picked up a set of 2nd hand Monitor Audios for $500 last week, and a splash on some some pretty chunky cables and I am in Audio Nirvana, this humble 2nd hand audio set is life changing given that I listen for several hours a day. 

Will never write one, but this Sui amp goes in my biography and will merit a thank you in all my acceptance speeches.  Possibly a mention on my tombstone as well unless the whiff overrides my deathbed wishes.

• Like 5

On 13/01/2019 at 9:04 PM, Sime V2 said:

Prediction was correct. Bloody awesome

1713C137-A41E-4EED-98D8-D60CCC7339FA.jpeg

That looks serious.. ?

I've mentioned my "best" previously here as the speaker cable I built. Well aside from my complete latest system. Recently the Arcam rPhono revealed a new world of vinyl for me and then a pair of "Bills cables" opened things up even more.

Someone here said "the last one". I think thats it. ?

Guest scumbag
4 hours ago, daniam said:

In the 80s, I was earning $200 cash per week assembling various speakers, more on the commercial outdoor speakers line etc rather than anything fancy and shmancy.

Was never exactly high earning - and too impetuous to save...  So I've had generic blah sound systems all along and wanting better - though as a musician, when it comes to Bass guitars/amps etc I didn't scrimp, the line in the sand is there I guess.

Anyway, 2018 and I bought a Sansui AU-317 and had it restored, modest in comparison to some of the systems on here...  But after decades of crap listening (I'm a musician, there was a big part of my heart bleeding every time I'd turn on and get such crap sound), I'm finally getting up to the fundamental starting point that I should have started at so long ago.  Picked up a set of 2nd hand Monitor Audios for $500 last week, and a splash on some some pretty chunky cables and I am in Audio Nirvana, this humble 2nd hand audio set is life changing given that I listen for several hours a day. 

Will never write one, but this Sui amp goes in my biography and will merit a thank you in all my acceptance speeches.  Possibly a mention on my tombstone as well unless the whiff overrides my deathbed wishes.

That Sansui is very well regarded. Your predictions of lngetivity might prove correct: http://www.audioreview.com/product/amplification/integrated-amplifiers/sansui/au-317.html

Quote from one review. "This thing lasts longer than 2 average marriages combined. "

Sorry for jumping in but back to my previous post on DeOxit, I have now decided to keep my 'rig' for a long while after spending an hour plus applying Deoxit to all my connections (RCA plugs on IC and equipment, speaker cable connectors, speaker cable binders, power plugs and CAT cables terminations) yesterday. It has definitely made my system sound like a veil has been lifted with everything being much clearer e.g. voices and inflictions of the tongue and lips from any of Stacey Kent's album. The bass lines is also more defined (and this is coming out of my tube amp), instruments sound more real, well separated and clearer with well extended highs. I highly recommended this upgrade - cheap and effective - before you put your hard earned money on another system. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Currently on special at Jaycar Electronics for $25. More than enough to treat everything on your system.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, thimmy118 said:

Sorry for jumping in but back to my previous post on DeOxit, I have now decided to keep my 'rig' for a long while after spending an hour plus applying Deoxit to all my connections (RCA plugs on IC and equipment, speaker cable connectors, speaker cable binders, power plugs and CAT cables terminations) yesterday. It has definitely made my system sound like a veil has been lifted with everything being much clearer e.g. voices and inflictions of the tongue and lips from any of Stacey Kent's album. The bass lines is also more defined (and this is coming out of my tube amp), instruments sound more real, well separated and clearer with well extended highs. I highly recommended this upgrade - cheap and effective - before you put your hard earned money on another system. I think you will be pleasantly surprised. Currently on special at Jaycar Electronics for $25. More than enough to treat everything on your system.

thank you for sharing the tips, i should start doing some cleaning up work on my cassette deck.

• Like 1

my best audio purchase is my Xindak power distributor/conditioner  XF 1000.

It is one of the component which stays the longest on my system,I don't see any need to replace it, the display is cracked now but still functioning

xindak.jpeg

• Like 2

On 25/12/2018 at 9:18 AM, Nada said:

Your speaker design looks superb.  Do you have a thread on the build or any photos please?

On 25/12/2018 at 9:36 AM, Buffle said:

The current setup is actually serving prototype duties for the final design that we’ll soon be building, so I guess I probably should document that here ??.  That build will likely start late Jan. 

Just a follow-up to this.  My consulting commitments until at least the end of 2019 mean I’m unlikely to have time for audio-related design and building for quite a while.  As my previous speakers are too large for my current room I’ve instead bought some speakers to see me through - YG Carmel.  

There’s something very relaxing about not using my own designs for a while, as I’m not continually thinking about what could be improved and making iterative design amendments.

I’ll eventually get around to building an ‘ultimate’ design with no concern for economics and document it here, but for now the YGs are very good, especially with the support from my subwoofer arrangement in the lowest octave.

3 minutes ago, candyflip said:

Excellent.

I guess I was more asking what it is that's in your photos. I don't know any of it, expect they're tubes.

Did ALL of it set you on the path?....

I should have been more specific. I was referring to the valve monoblocks in the picture, the Luxman MB-3045’s. They are just something else. 

The Yammie’s were around long before they were and the preamp was temporarily borrowed from a good friend. 

Edited by Be Quiet...Listen
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, wen said:

Hey  @daniam what Monitor audio did you buy?

Hiya Wen,

I picked up a set of Monitor Audio Silver 8i (a bit awkward to go and check the badges etc at the moment, I think that's them).

For my room size - 4500 x 2500 x 2500 - and I'm facing into the 4500 wall, rather than facing along the length, these are the right sized speakers.  I have a set of bookshelves for mixing purposes, these monitor audios are for putting on a record, reading the cover and appreciating, as opposed to critiquing a mix as I do with the bookshelves - I push the computer chair to the back wall and listen from there, I'm just biding my time to get the right couch that will go against that back wall.  Won't be much leg room between the couch and computer chair ;)

Someone more savvy would have picked up better components and for cheaper.  I am on a beer budget (hell, I brew my own beer because 1.  I can and enjoy it and 2.  I can't afford to buy it) and would dearly loved to have been that buyer that was more savvy, nonetheless, I am stoked with what I have, wish that I bought it with my first few pay cheques several decades ago.  As I said before, I think that I will keep this Sansui amp serviced and take it to my grave, it has changed my listening experience profoundly and I love it.  Besides, I just painted my studio room a crimson/rose red - it's black and was meant to be in this room.  The Monitor Audio's also look pretty sharp in here with their black grill :)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wen said:

@daniam I have the RS6's in a 4x4.5m room as well as a set of Bronze BX2's for future downgrading in room size, both sound superb, i imagine the8's would be fantastic

I once would have thought these speakers were pygmies and not even worth auditioning, presuming they lacked enough oomph to merit playing music through them as they don't even reach my navel when I'm barefoot.

In spite of those sorts of prejudices, I'm very happy to be the owner of these speakers and being somewhat wiser with the passing of a few decades, smart enough to know that this room doesn't need speakers the size of mount olympus :)

9 hours ago, daniam said:

I once would have thought these speakers were pygmies and not even worth auditioning, presuming they lacked enough oomph to merit playing music through them as they don't even reach my navel when I'm barefoot.

In spite of those sorts of prejudices, I'm very happy to be the owner of these speakers and being somewhat wiser with the passing of a few decades, smart enough to know that this room doesn't need speakers the size of mount olympus :)

I am very impressed with my Silver 8s. Compared to a few other similarly priced speakers they delivered the sound I liked best. If i was to upgrade it would probably be to the Gold series really.

I usually think it’s whatever I just bought - but the biggest revelation was my first really decent amp a Plinius 8200P which I had for about 15 years. I just bought this which for now and until the shine wears off is the greatest purchase 

EF2C4C31-6CCB-4F2E-B345-EF584891E90F.jpeg

• Like 2

I’ve had my Shahinian Oblesk speakers and Exposure 19/4 for about 18 years of immense musical enjoyment. I got a Oppo SACD recently and listening to old favorites in SACD is new life into my favorite music. So my amp speaker combo is a great value investment, possibly the best money I’ve spent in over 40 years of dabbling in audio.

Edited by Jeffo Gee
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/12/2018 at 9:52 AM, tripitaka said:

Oh the coax itself, yes Id imagine it would want to orient itself in a dead straight line. Hmmm.

Thanks for the insights!

Mines connected directly. Centre for the positive braid for the negative. Took a day or so before it came on song and that was a year or more ago.

Havent had an inkling to replace it at all. Ticks all the boxes.