Musical Fidelity X-A1 power supply

Gosh, brings back memories. Sold a load of these back in the day, and I'm pretty sure that only one has ever come in for service and that was for a damaged conection cable from the psu to the amp, user damaged. Pretty good for a 16 year old amp. Good luck, but i reckon you'll be hard pressed to find an original.

@Winter

Just spoke to the importer and he has nothing like this anymore.

Checked MF's website and theres a manual on the amp, but not on the PSU.

I'd say you would have to send the amp to the tech above. The good thing is that there are heaps of circuit diagrams on the internet.:thumb:

Any idea what voltage specs the amp works to?

Potentially, this piece of kit could answer the call HD-Plex 200W Linear PSU

I've got an earlier version 100W unit feeding my HTPC. You might even find the connectors that HD-Plex supply plug in directly, straight out of the box.

4 hours ago, Wimbo said:

@Winter

The good thing is that there are heaps of circuit diagrams on the internet.:thumb:

Really? They didn't show for me. Got a link?

17 minutes ago, astromo said:

If this is suitable I would also be interested. I have an XA-1, with the original power supply but the PS makes snap, crackle, pop and hum sounds when switched on

49 minutes ago, astromo said:

I've got an earlier version 100W unit feeding my HTPC. You might even find the connectors that HD-Plex supply plug in directly, straight out of the box.

1 hour ago, astromo said:

Apologies. I looked up the circuit diagram specifically pointing to XA-1 and heaps of diagrams came up. None of them were bloody XA-1. Mainly A1.:emot-bang:

1 hour ago, rantan said:

If this is suitable I would also be interested. I have an XA-1, with the original power supply but the PS makes snap, crackle, pop and hum sounds when switched on

just be aware the X-a1 power supply says 275w on it, so a 200w power supply would be quite undersized to use with it. if your power supply is going snap crackle and pop it might be worth getting looked at. probably not much in it that needs sorts. maybe re capping or something. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, astromo said:

6 hours ago, rantan said:

5 hours ago, :) al said:

just be aware the X-a1 power supply says 275w on it, so a 200w power supply would be quite undersized to use with it. if your power supply is going snap crackle and pop it might be worth getting looked at. probably not much in it that needs sorts. maybe re capping or something. 

: ) al, fair point. That's why I was asking about the input specs for the power delivered to the amp not the outgoing supply from the PSU. The fact that rantan still has a functioning (albeit poorly) PSU, giving it a birthday does make a lot more sense than starting with something different.

However given that Winter has nothing, then I was taking a stab at an alternative.

I recently picked up an X-A2 for a bit more than the cost of the 200 W PSU I mentioned - so you'd want to love the X-A1, if budget is a concern. There is a 400 W unit from the same outfit but the economics start to get silly. At least the HD-Plex PSU has various protection circuits, so if it was being run too hard it would just switch off. If the playback duty is light on, it could work ... maybe.

• Like 1

@astromo I had an X-a2 and mistakenly sold it. but picked up an X-A1, they seem to be going up in price :D but still great buying and id agree if can be cheaper these days if can just buy another.

contrats on the X-A2 and look forward to hearing how you find it :) these are some very sweet little amps !  if can pair up with an X-Ray... they make a match made in heaven :D 

AF these are for the later x series, I had the later x series dac, headphone and tube buffer at one stage and it was very nice gear and indeed the x series power supply was made as a linear power supply upgrade from the little wall wart power supplies included in the box and indeed it was. wont work with the X-a1 though it needs a different connection and different power requirements :)

The famous MF 'DoorStop' is now my 'problem'.

Found a pic of the 'Power Supply' here...  

https://get.google.com/u/2/albumarchive/111512318853516101340/album/AF1QipMOsDZ3yOYgOBBXwdEMxd6UUAo2AnFMCwHHI0Qz/AF1QipPuYkAYw86nqpVFWUOXpJKxHU1jtPhtC3jmvGIe

...so it's not really a PSU but a Toroidal transformer in a box.  ^_^  So, those fine folk who offered to 'build' a PSU for Winter were pulling a bit of a fast one; I don't think any of them are on here.  Putting a Toroid in a box and wiring it up is hardly a big job and certainly not worth what MF and other 3rd parties were trying to charge.

The rest of the power supply, such as it is, is inside the main chassis...

ZE5GaWR.jpg 

You can see the, cheap 'off the shelf', full wave rectifier and 2 x 50v, 10,000uf filter caps.  Also note the 'brown turd' caps clustered around the fuses providing cheap and effective HF filtering prior to rectification.

As you can see, like most MF gear there's stuff all inside the case and nothing much 'audiophile' about any of it; not that there's anything wrong with that...

9xhb9OR.jpg

Output devices are Darlington SAP15's which are high quality and should deliver the rated 50w into 8 Ohm output pretty easily...

EKcxoVJ.jpg

The whole case acts as a heatsink which is why these things get pretty warm.  Not 'cause they're running lot's of Class-A watts' as MF like everyone to think.

Anyway, the wiring to the bridge rectifier is pretty clear and I'll uprate the transformer to a 300VA toroidal as I happen to have one lying around.  I'm pretty sure it's 30v that's required based on cap values and the SAP15s data sheet and what little information there is on the internet.  Just need to find an appropriate case for it.

Don't get me wrong; I like MF gear.  But there's not much special going on inside and I won't pay big money for any of it.  Once the transformer is sorted I'll upgrade all the signal caps to WIMAs and probably replace the power caps with Panasonics as well.

A real pity MF and their distributor didn't support Winter better; their customer support is woeful in general.

More soon.  :thumb:

Edited by Gruffnutz

Somewhat in defence of MF, at least the power supply is included with the amplifier and it is certainly better than the Naim item which adds additional cost for a lot of $$$

Have a look inside the Naim box

image.png.178cd581ae152c70bb7157bd9b612135.png

• Like 2

gosh gruffnutz am not sure what were expecting, but the thing is 20 years old  and goes for 100s of dollars in perfect condition even with psu. am not sure if had a chance to hear it, but my X-A1 in the bedroom system is hooked up to some revealing stand mounts costing over 5k and  has seen off newer integrated in marantz KI and cyrus integrated units and replaced something as mighty as the nad master series integrated that would squash the poor XA1 if sat on it :D pretty good little 50 watter for the money i reckon.

but any case i wish well with it, and the upgrades planned. look forward to reading how find it :) 

18 minutes ago, :) al said:

gosh gruffnutz am not sure what were expecting, but the thing is 20 years old  and goes for 100s of dollars in perfect condition even with psu. am not sure if had a chance to hear it, but my X-A1 in the bedroom system is hooked up to some revealing stand mounts costing over 5k and  has seen off newer integrated in marantz KI and cyrus integrated units and replaced something as mighty as the nad master series integrated that would squash the poor XA1 if sat on it :D pretty good little 50 watter for the money i reckon.

but any case i wish well with it, and the upgrades planned. look forward to reading how find it :) 

The problem with my power supply seems to have sorted itself out, so it may have been a connection problem, but I agree about the performance of these .

You can buy the XA-1 and the X-Ray together for $<600 and it is a combination that will pleasantly surprise most people when they hear it. I am using mine with a pair of B&W CDM 9 and it sounds great, full of detail,but not tiring at all.

I reckon if upgraded it could be fantastic

Edited by rantan
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, :) al said:

Not sure what you think I'm saying but you might want to re-read and have a another think.   :P

I am not criticising the amp as such, or its performance; just commenting on the usual MF build and component quality.  There are quality components where they count most, less elsewhere.  Plenty of room for improvement.  If you're paying big $ for MF you're not getting much hardware for your $.

If I start on Naim there'll be a shitstorm...   :popcorn:

My main point was how crap some techs / experts are, taking people for mugs, and how poor MFs customer support is.  Not the first time I've experienced it, though this time vicariously.  

Edited by Gruffnutz
  • Like 2