The Clouds + Falling Joys

Guest Hensa

wow, what a gig. Two of my faves from Uni days. Going Hensa?

Absolutely! Saw them, especially the Falling Joys, many times in the late 80's so not missing this one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I went to the show in Fremantle last Friday night. Was an interesting experience due to the passage of time, nostalgia and memories of the bands.

First up I loved the Falling Joys. They seemed a bit rusty playing live which was understandable, but the songs...... so good. I haven't played my Falling Joys CDs this century, but they didn't play a song that I couldn't at least sing a long part of. Brought back many fond memories of gigs in Perth in the very early 90s at venues that no longer exist. Our crew was mighty happy.

On the other hand, The Clouds were "tighter than Steely Dan" (Ween quote), sounding like they had been playing and rehearsing for the last 20 years. Killer drummer and the rest of the band all in top form. However, the songs were missing. I swear I only recognised Hieronymus, Say It  and Bower of Bliss. We were all pretty stunned and disappointed at the time on the "obscure" setlist on their proper return to Perth after all these years. I later checked out the discography and its apparent I lost interest after the Penny Century album. So points back to them due to my ignorance of later work. Just don't go along expecting a nostalgia show based around the first EPs and album.

All up a good night and a surprisingly large crowd, though I think there might have been some freebies handed out going by some of the slightly interested crowd. Also bizarre to be back in that Metropolis Fremantle main room, I reckon for the first time in 20 years, after spending a lot of the nineties in there and it was almost exactly the same! Memories.... Wonderstuff, INXS, Teenage Fanclub, Stone Roses, Dinosaur Jr, Billy Bragg, Urge Overkill etc etc

Edited by enikoy