The Official 4K Ultra H D - Blu Ray Thread

looks like ron jones has it going :)

Ron Jones

A few quick initial observations when initially setting up the K8500 with my JVC RS600 projector
- The player should be connected to network so you can download the firmware update that now available for the K8500
- When going to 3D settings the max. screen size that can be entered is 116 inches
- HDMI color format offers Auto (default), YCbCr (4:4:4), RGB (standard) and RGB (Enhanced): May need to change to YCbCr (4:4:4) when connecting to a JVC projector.
- Deep Color default is Off: May want to change to Auto when connecting to a JVC projector (I found this gives up to 12-bit depth from the K8500).
- When the K8500 is connected directly to my RS600 HDMI #2, the JVC projector displays a 'no signal' message with EDID set to 'A' and only 1080p when set to 'B'. However, when connecting the K8500 thru my Denon X6200 to the RS600's HDMI #1 it get the 4K/UHD signal to the projector.
- In programming my Harmony remote for use with the K8500, I found that the K8500 is now in the Harmony data base, but no discrete power on and off commands.

first review of the martian on UHD :)

http://redvdit.com/reviews/2016/02/12/martian-4k-uhd/

" So let’s get into it. How does The Martian look in 4K?

It looks fantastic. I’ll be honest, the first few minutes of the film I spent over analyzing everything and trying to convinced myself that this wasn’t that much of an upgrade from the regular blu-ray being upscaled. However, that illusion only lasted a few minutes. The differences you seen here are not what you’d notice in a jump from DVD to blu-ray. What that jump did to clarity, the jump from BD to 4K BD does to detail.

Textures pop out of the screen so vividly that you will believe you can reach out and feel what you are seeing. Fingerprints on helmets, individual beads of sweat, the creases on skin; all things that I’ve noticed for the first time after seeing this film at least four times prior. The colors look somehow more natural and pronounced than the already great looking blu-ray. This is an upgrade in every sense of the word. "

"NOTE: We apologize for the quality of images below. We are still investigating how to get proper screenshots of 4K content. These images were taking using an iPhone 6 pointed at a Sharp LC70UE30U tv in low light conditions. We assure you the picture is substantially prettier."

LOL, try using "a camera" maybe ?

http://www.all-things-photography.com/blog/panasonic-gh4-screen-grabs/

or just ask a gamer

:)

early stages eh?

:rolleyes:

i couldnt help but notice the reviewer of The Martian UHD 4K had to "convince himself" it was an upgrade from BluRay on initial impact

"I’ll be honest, the first few minutes of the film I spent over analyzing everything and trying to convinced myself that this wasn’t that much of an upgrade from the regular blu-ray being upscaled."

to be expected i suppose

Stacey Spears had this to say about Samsung's UHD Blu-ray player and The Martian UHD Blu-ray:

"Tested out the buggy Samsung UHD player, JS9500 and Martian this week. Martian has some visible banding. It is from compression."

"Comparing the include Martian Blu-ray to the UHD BD, on a 1080p display, resulted in about the same amount of detail. No banding on the BD though."

"All in all, I would avoid the Samsung player and wait for something better."

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=11862897&postcount=700

Interesting to hear that some banding was visible with the UHD disc - thought we'd got past this with recent compression algorithms. Wonder if it's a display issue.

The JS9500 appears to be a 65" TV - not surprising similar levels of detail with that size screen - not really big enough to show off 4K at its best. Some scenes from the Martian BD looked a little soft on my 130" scope screen (especially some of the special effects) - thought they may have softened the 1080 image so the the 4K would be a step up, notwithstanding the special effects were only mastered at 1080.

yeah you'd think he'd appreciate the detail vs distance required for 4K .... need to watch a 65 inch TV from 810mm-1m away to appreciate if any additional detail. with tv that size 4k is going to be a hard call no matter what !

yes martian is no oblivion or lucy. but myself particularly interest for that reason whether uhd brings anything to it :)

wonder if they will double dip on a movie like this though...I can just see like fifth element ... the umpteenth editions and releases hehe

wonder what the bugginess is he talks about ...youtube ...or related to running it without the necessary firmware update which caught some out

I couldnt care less wiht youtube....and someone like zombie saying it works fine wiht uhd discs is encouraging enough :)

wonder if they will double dip on a movie like this though...I can just see like fifth element ... the umpteenth editions and releases hehe

Word over on blu-ray.com is that there's a special edition on the way... Expect Atmos and possibly some extra scenes.

they have been said to be region/zone free since day one. as far as testing ....we wont know till someone here gets and tries.

please keep in mind the std blu-ray included is likely region A locked or region free...depending on studio involved.

Now thats more like it :phone:

' ​Interesting to hear that some banding was visible with the UHD disc' - noticed one poster mention the dearer panasonic player has pro quality colour space/ hdr downscaling circuitry that may help with any 8bit output . If it isnt just poorly authored grading on the disc that is :question:

Word over on blu-ray.com is that there's a special edition on the way... Expect Atmos and possibly some extra scenes.

Sadly, there is one notable snag when it comes to 4K and some specific film-based/digital movies. Over the past decade or so, digital intermediates have become the standard for post production work on all major releases. In several cases, only 2K scans of the original film elements have been used to complete many movies. Likewise, some digitally shot movies are only captured in 2K resolution to begin with. In these instances, the finished products are all limited to 2K. This means that any potential 4K releases of such titles will simply be upconverts. Thankfully, some contemporary films are now using 4K digital intermediates and several digital

movies are now being shot natively in 4K (or even 5K), which will make their future transition to Ultra HD very smooth.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-digital-hi-end-projectors-3-000-usd-msrp/1490218-blu-ray-4k-uhd-coming-2015-a-148.html#post41495897

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=270798

This was posted awhile ago now Pete ; with the comments made about 'The martian' being mastered in 4k Ide say they have done a very good job with the upscaling remastering - as Zombie attests above :queen: 4k dci's listed below

So which of the new discs are true 4K?

Edited by cwt

Ok, the only movie I might consider paying USD 30 for is the Martian..

I will grab HD versions for the rest... and reserve my money for true 4k movies.

Anyway, I don't have a 4k screen yet, so I will not miss much.

I will consider a 220v version of the Samsung when it comes over, that will be a nice BR and 4k player. OR get the Gen 2 version since there's no real hurry :)

Ok, the only movie I might consider paying USD 30 for is the Martian..

I will grab HD versions for the rest... and reserve my money for true 4k movies.

Anyway, I don't have a 4k screen yet, so I will not miss much.

I will consider a 220v version of the Samsung when it comes over, that will be a nice BR and 4k player. OR get the Gen 2 version since there's no real hurry :)

always handy to have a look at the IMDb technical specs for each movie and it should give you a rough guide as to how it will be translated in HD/UHD discs

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3659388/technical?ref_=tt_dt_spec

The Martian

GoPro HERO4

Red Epic Dragon, Fujinon Premier Cabrio, Angenieux Optimo and Optimo DP Lenses

Red Scarlet Dragon, Fujinon Premier Cabrio, Angenieux Optimo and Optimo DP Lenses

Negative Format

H.264

Redcode RAW (6K)

Cinematographic Process

Digital Intermediate (2K) (master format)

H.264 (4K) (source format)

Redcode RAW (6K) (also dual-strip 3-D) (source format)

Printed Film Format

D-Cinema (also 3-D version)

Edited by mello yello

yeah you'd think he'd appreciate the detail vs distance required for 4K .... need to watch a 65 inch TV from 810mm-1m away to appreciate if any additional detail. with tv that size 4k is going to be a hard call no matter what !

There is also the benefit of HDR which can be seen from any seating distance... otherwise, I agree, 4K is fairly useless for most homes.

JSmith :ninja:

Thanks mate

Did I see a 2k source somewhere in the chain?

It's a little confusing..

yep, 2K digital intermediate, which as i understand it, is the base copy, the master copy, the finished product, so even though 4K is mentioned there, i think, it gets finalised in 2K

yes, very confusing

trivia time :

1993: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs – First film to be entirely scanned to digital files, manipulated, and recorded back to film at 4K resolution. The restoration project was done entirely at 4K resolution and 10-bit color depth using the new Cineon system to digitally remove dirt and scratches and restore faded colours.

968full-snow-white-and-the-seven-dwarfs-
2004: Spider-Man 2 – The first digital intermediate on a new Hollywood film to be done entirely at 4K resolution. Although scanning, recording, and color-correction was done at 4K by EFILM, most of the visual effects were created at 2K and were upscaled to 4K.
2008: BarakaThe first 8K resolution digital intermediate by FotoKem of a 65 mm negative source for the October 2008 remastered DVD and Blu-ray Disc release. The scan produced 30 terabytes of data and took 12–13 seconds to scan each frame, for a total scan time of over 3 weeks.
(8K, thats for the next thread)
Edited by mello yello

• 4 weeks later...

"The UHD image, up-sourced from the 2K digital intermediate, was undeniably impressive. Perhaps because of the increased resolution, but I suspect more likely due to the HDR processing, the images had an undeniably improved definition and depth that was all the more noticeable when as the frame became more crowded.

If you watch the extras on the Fury Road Blu-ray, it's obvious that the film's flame effects are a combination of practical and CG, but on the UHD almost every flame looks like a painted cartoon. Just as the enhanced depth and detail are pulling you into the film's ravaged wasteland, the artificiality of these effects pushes you back out."

147183_large.jpg

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Mad-Max-Fury-Road-4K-Blu-ray/147183/#Review

JSmith :ninja: