Next Generation Jvc's: X5000/7000/9000

5 minutes ago, MrC said:

Throw is 5.1 metres to screen.

slightly longer throw than me and slightly bigger screen but with more gain so suspect you might not be too far with what am achieving :)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, MrC said:

Al ... Oztheatre says he thinks the image is an upgrade with the X7500.  Have you seen this?

I've read the odd comment of convergence. but quite frankly things like convergence is pretty damn good on mine so might depend what specific unit comparing with. am happy wiht my golden one :D  

if getting right now and can find a x7000 thats a bargain id grab it. otherwise an x7500. otherwise wait till later in this year see if jvc is doing an update ... a full one ? 

8 minutes ago, said:

if getting right now and can find a x7000 thats a bargain id grab it. otherwise an x7500. otherwise wait till later in this year see if jvc is doing an update ... a full one ? 

You mean a real 4K projector (not e-shift) ?  If so one might suspect that the price will be in a different league?

7 minutes ago, MrC said:

You mean a real 4K projector (not e-shift) ?  If so one might suspect that the price will be in a different league?

we already have a native 4k from jvc its about 40k. forgetaboutit if you think you are going to get a consumer 4k native chip set for money the x series is going for.

also i think a gaxzilion times people have said the whole 4k thing is a non sensical thing for the home. 3k which is what you get wiht the x series is really more than enough. people have sold their supposed 4k native sony's for the jvcs.

woofer the below on avs, 

HMMM... A credit to the X9500.. http://www.projection-homecinema.fr/2017/04/30/test-jvc-dla-z1/

2el6trs.jpg

18 minutes ago, said:

I've read the odd comment of convergence. but quite frankly things like convergence is pretty damn good on mine so might depend what specific unit comparing with. am happy wiht my golden one :D  

I think there's still a possibility of 'being lucky' with good convergence, not unlike the panel lottery when it comes to TV's. Maybe batch to batch there are some differences like previous models. But it wasn't just myself that noticed this, otherwise would not have mentioned it and put it down to the panel lottery odds.

I think the best feature is the rec.2020 colour pallette, it's just so good.

2 hours ago, oztheatre said:

I think there's still a possibility of 'being lucky' with good convergence, not unlike the panel lottery when it comes to TV's. Maybe batch to batch there are some differences like previous models. But it wasn't just myself that noticed this, otherwise would not have mentioned it and put it down to the panel lottery odds.

I think the best feature is the rec.2020 colour pallette, it's just so good.

yep i think you mention it. the such precise alignment on a micro level required. probably just take one thump from a courier and likely barge it out. been lucky with mine :)

pretty happy with rec 2020 here

10 hours ago, oztheatre said:

The thing I noticed right away was they seemed to have nailed convergence so image appears sharper and cleaner.

My old X3 had very good convergence from edge to edge, corer to corner. What the old X3 doesn't have is the digital image sharpening of the newer models, which I find harsh and replace with external processing. The newer models are also a lot brighter, but I haven't fond that much of an advantage either.

The X7500 in high lamp mode for HDR will give you a similar black level to the X3.

The X7500 is definitely a step up over an X3, as was the X7000 or X700, but depending on what aspects of performance are of value to you maybe not as large an improvement as you may wish for.

as a note , doesnt matter whether a x7000 or x7500 or x5000, x5500 or x9500

regardless of model it is an absolute must in following JVCs particular advice below, for me its given a pretty great result

1. Information on Viewing UHD Content for D-ILA Projector DLA-X950R, X750R, X550R, X9000, X7000, X5000, XC7890R, XC6890R, XC5890R, RS600, RS500, RS400

and

2. Recommended settings for viewing BT.2020 content - my suggestion use the Setting method using the "JVC Projector Calibration Software 6" - thats it....

http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/download/dla-x950r_x750r_x550r_x9000_x7000_x5000_xc7890r_xc6890r_xc5890r_rs600_rs500_rs400_uhd.html

and certainly a good starting point, no harm going where ever from there, but it removes some of the scare of plug and play that people have. its not plug and play. you need to follow the suggested and will get you there. as can imagine with projectors there are a lot of variables and its essential some of these brought in hand :)

additionally the only variation to above is whether using high lamp or low lamp. if you clip for HDR using either the sony egg patterns or the RM patterns given your screen size/style and throw its quite likely you will get away with low lamp and plenty up sleeve to great end result.... I am  :) 

1 hour ago, said:

as a note , doesnt matter whether a x7000 or x7500 or x5000, x5500 or x9500

regardless of model it is an absolute must in following JVCs particular advice below, for me its given a pretty great result

1. Information on Viewing UHD Content for D-ILA Projector DLA-X950R, X750R, X550R, X9000, X7000, X5000, XC7890R, XC6890R, XC5890R, RS600, RS500, RS400

and

2. Recommended settings for viewing BT.2020 content - my suggestion use the Setting method using the "JVC Projector Calibration Software 6" - thats it....

http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/download/dla-x950r_x750r_x550r_x9000_x7000_x5000_xc7890r_xc6890r_xc5890r_rs600_rs500_rs400_uhd.html

and certainly a good starting point, no harm going where ever from there, but it removes some of the scare of plug and play that people have. its not plug and play. you need to follow the suggested and will get you there. as can imagine with projectors there are a lot of variables and its essential some of these brought in hand :)

additionally the only variation to above is whether using high lamp or low lamp. if you clip for HDR using either the sony egg patterns or the RM patterns given your screen size/style and throw its quite likely you will get away with low lamp and plenty up sleeve to great end result.... I am  :) 

thanks Al for all this detail ..... looks like anything BUT plug and play as you say.  To run the JVC Projector Calibration Software 6, do you need an optical sensor (like a light meter or something similar) ?

10 minutes ago, MrC said:

thanks Al for all this detail ..... looks like anything BUT plug and play as you say.  To run the JVC Projector Calibration Software 6, do you need an optical sensor (like a light meter or something similar) ?

oh no no dont get confused by that.

you dont have to get the optical sensor. thats just your typical jvc japanese confusion.

all they are telling you to do there is with selection of the BT2020 color space on the projector to input the settings they highlight on the screen shot there to suit your screen. the bt2020 color space had to be uploaded in some early x7000. later on it came pre loaded and current x7500 will come with it pre loaded so just matter of bunging in the suggestions as they outline to suit screen size :) and will have a pretty good start.

if wanting to go the auto cal route. that is there as well. but not everyone will do that... or a full pro calibration for that matter. but this gives a good start to things :) 

so yes while not plug and play. it can be got there with not to much effort ! for pretty great end result.

18 minutes ago, SandS said:

So does that mean a X500 is not good for UHD. HDR.

have a chat to @Quark how he is using uhd with Xx00 series projectors. there re certainly a few using :)

I have an X5000, Oppo 203 with HDMI direct to projector.

I put in the DVE HD Basics Bluray and noticed it was clipping below black. Im a bit of a newb to calibrating so thought i'd ask the question.

Is this normal for this set up? is there something i need to do to remedy this? does it even matter?

35 minutes ago, said:

all they are telling you to do there is with selection of the BT2020 color space on the projector to input the settings they highlight on the screen shot there to suit your screen. the bt2020 color space had to be uploaded in some early x7000. later on it came pre loaded and current x7500 will come with it pre loaded so just matter of bunging in the suggestions as they outline to suit screen size :) and will have a pretty good start.

ok ... so I wouldn't need an optical sensor.  With the X7500, exactly what is pre-loaded then and what do I need to tweak in the settings?

8 minutes ago, MrC said:

ok ... so I wouldn't need an optical sensor.  With the X7500, exactly what is pre-loaded then and what do I need to tweak in the settings?

as per my post.... the one you quoted :) and please refer to the post earlier linking to the jvc site.

44 minutes ago, SandS said:

So does that mean a X500 is not good for UHD. HDR.

23 minutes ago, said:

have a chat to @Quark how he is using uhd with Xx00 series projectors. there re certainly a few using :)

I've got mine hooked up to a Panasonic UB900 and a HD Fury - all working well. The UB900 does a great job of converting HDR to SDR. You'll almost certainly need to update your HDMI cables.

If you're not trying to get towards a BT2020 colour profile a cheaper option instead of the HD Fury is to use a Monoprice Blackbird (I've got one left over that I trialled as a low cost way to make sure I could get UHD discs playing).

50 minutes ago, said:

as per my post.... the one you quoted :) and please refer to the post earlier linking to the jvc site.

I did read your post Al .... Is the BT2020 color space pre-loaded ?  OR do I have to load this with the calibration software?

Just now, MrC said:

I did read your post Al .... Is the BT2020 color space pre-loaded ?  OR do I have to load this with the calibration software?

as per my post...

1 hour ago, said:

the bt2020 color space had to be uploaded in some early x7000. later on it came pre loaded and current x7500 will come with it pre loaded

28 minutes ago, MrC said:

Ok it comes pre-loaded.  Does it need to be tweaked at all ?

2 hours ago, said:

so just matter of bunging in the suggestions as they outline to suit screen size :) and will have a pretty good start.

do i need to type it in blood ?  :D 

just a point of note, i have read today on the jvc thread over on avs that the current gen Xx500(X5500-X7500-X9500) models the autocal apparently doesnt work. not sure why this is the case and jvc want to get onto that as it most definitely works and have been employed by many successfully with the Xx000(X5000-X7000-X9000).

3 hours ago, said:

just a point of note, i have read today on the jvc thread over on avs that the current gen Xx500(X5500-X7500-X9500) models the autocal apparently doesnt work. not sure why this is the case and jvc want to get onto that as it most definitely works and have been employed by many successfully with the Xx000(X5000-X7000-X9000).

Interesting reading indeed Al ... I have waded through the thread you refer to (it has taken about 3-4 hours) and lots of things are mentioned.  However, it seems almost ALL participants in this thread say that the X7500 and X9500 produce sharper images than their counterpart X7000 and X9000.  Also many are saying that there is a wider gap in performance now between the X7500 and X9500.  This gives so much food for thought now .......  It appears that the upgrade IS significant.

18 minutes ago, MrC said:

Interesting reading indeed Al ... I have waded through the thread you refer to (it has taken about 3-4 hours) and lots of things are mentioned.  However, it seems almost ALL participants in this thread say that the X7500 and X9500 produce sharper images than their counterpart X7000 and X9000.  Also many are saying that there is a wider gap in performance now between the X7500 and X9500.  This gives so much food for thought now .......  It appears that the upgrade IS significant.

i believe there was some tweaking between models in the e-shift for instance, but as mike garrett keeps trying to tell people the optics between releases and model before is exactly the same. he's had that direct from jvc. i reckon he must be getting tired of reminding people :D yes i do understand there might be a broadened gap 7500 to 9500, and there needed to be really, hand picked optics or not its a jump up in price and people are expecting gains...not just the mix of normal range can get even with the model below ! 

12 minutes ago, MrC said:

They produce sharper images because they come with a nice new clean lens :D